ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 622 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #13456
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,579
PEW!
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #13457
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
Slamfire fun!
Don't get him started.



Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #13458
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

PEW!
Argh... I'm going to the gun show tomorrow, I'm kinda afraid that something similar will follow me home
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #13459
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Argh... I'm going to the gun show tomorrow, I'm kinda afraid that something similar will follow me home

Is it in cedar rapids?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #13460
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
Slamfire fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Yah, that's what's cool about the 97's and 12's. Great fun at parties!
Is there something I should know about the model 12 I have?
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #13461
East Coast Rider
Just Me...
 
East Coast Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Stuck somewhere in motorcycle Purgatory
Oddometer: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbawl View Post
Well, my Garand is off for a repark and rebarrel, and my swap for an old SXS just came through, so here's my next resto and rust blue project.
Mfg in '42, unfortunately without a dandy flaming bomb stamped in it...
Regardless, once again, the local zombies called an emergency meeting when they got wind of it.
If they want my delicious brain, they're gonna have to earn it, by gum.
Hee.



Yes, yes... the gawdawful recoil pad is getting flushed down the toilet...
Beautiful ole shotgun! What is the collector value on those?? If the value is high, wouldn't re-bluing/restoring devalue the gun greatly??
__________________
Txt msg with Dan right after he was paralyzed:
Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy and Love ya!
Dan: Howdy and Love you too. Doin' good and feeling good.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #13462
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Argh... I'm going to the gun show tomorrow, I'm kinda afraid that something similar will follow me home
I don't think anything like that'll be following you home, Mr. I Can Spend $300 on a revolver.




Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #13463
Oddbawl
Born Ok the first time.
 
Oddbawl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider View Post
Beautiful ole shotgun! What is the collector value on those?? If the value is high, wouldn't re-bluing/restoring devalue the gun greatly??

Unless it's a USGI Trenchgun (sigh), a 16 guage or a premier grade Double Diamond (?), it's not overly valuable. This one likely had a full choke 30" barrel that's been chopped. In the shape it's in, around here it's worth about $300, which is the trade value I got. By the time I get the barrel fixed and a Vang Comp Job on the it, and added my time for the rust bluing it'll have cost me more than it's worth, but I'm ok with it. Nuttin out there feels like them. I'll post pics as I progress with the rust bluing if there's no protest.
Here's the last one I rebuilt, it was in worse shape than this new one:



Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Is there something I should know about the model 12 I have?
Yes. Yes there is. Load the magazine full. Point at something you would like to destroy. Hold the trigger down and pump it as fast as you can. Let the Epiphany of knowing what God feels like when he's slam firing a shotgun wash over you.

Your new life begins today.

Gabba Gabba-Hey.
__________________
"Democrats want my guns, Republicans want my porn. I'm not giving up either." -Johnny Ramone

HEY HEY HEY, GOOOOD BYE REGISTRY!
Have you bought your Bill C-19 commemorative gun yet?

Oddbawl screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 07:01 AM
Oddbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #13464
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Is it in cedar rapids?
Yup, good ol' Hawkeye Downs.
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #13465
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I don't think anything like that'll be following you home, Mr. I Can Spend $300 on a revolver.




Similar being a gun of any kind
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #13466
P B G
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greater Chicago
Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbawl View Post

Yes. Yes there is. Load the magazine full. Point at something you would like to destroy. Hold the trigger down and pump it as fast as you can. Let the Epiphany of knowing what God feels like when he's slam firing a shotgun wash over you.

Eh, let us be a bit clearer on what "slamfire" is. Yes, the Model 12 and many other shotguns made years ago will fire if you hold the trigger and close the slide. New ones have a trigger disconnect that requres the slide to close/lock, then the trigger to be released, and depressed again. This is a SAFETY feature. Just ask my father, his soon to be wife (my mother) very nearly obliterated him with a .410 while dating. Got the next row of corn. An inexperienced person can easily forget to release the trigger after firing a shell and cycle the action... I don't call this a slamfire.

Technically a slam fire is when the momentum of the bolt closing is sufficient to cause the firing pin to continue forwards hard enough to ignite the primer and discharge the gun, REGARDLESS of the trigger being pulled. Hence slam fire, "slam" the action shut too hard and the gun fires.

And yes, many older guns will do this. The newer designs have a light spring that holds the firing pin back.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #13467
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,599
Here's my favorites, DPMS AR-15, S&W Ti Airlite Pd (38+P, magna port), Dan Wesson .357 (Polished, 2",4" & 6"), Colt Officers Target (22), Ruger MkII (Clark Custom, Bomar sights), Colt Mk IV/Series 70 Gold Cup.

__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-08-2011 at 10:36 AM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #13468
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,725
Welp, I came back from the gun show empty handed. There was a stainless Service Six that was screaming my name but I think I'll wait for my tax return...
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #13469
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy
 
Tellydoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: channeling my inner manatee
Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Eh, let us be a bit clearer on what "slamfire" is. Yes, the Model 12 and many other shotguns made years ago will fire if you hold the trigger and close the slide. New ones have a trigger disconnect that requres the slide to close/lock, then the trigger to be released, and depressed again. This is a SAFETY feature. Just ask my father, his soon to be wife (my mother) very nearly obliterated him with a .410 while dating. Got the next row of corn. An inexperienced person can easily forget to release the trigger after firing a shell and cycle the action... I don't call this a slamfire.

Technically a slam fire is when the momentum of the bolt closing is sufficient to cause the firing pin to continue forwards hard enough to ignite the primer and discharge the gun, REGARDLESS of the trigger being pulled. Hence slam fire, "slam" the action shut too hard and the gun fires.

And yes, many older guns will do this. The newer designs have a light spring that holds the firing pin back.

Picky picky picky, you say tomato, I say tomaaahto...
__________________
"The Dalai Llama said that on my death bed I would receive total consciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
_____________________________
Tellydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #13470
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!
 
Farnsrocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Heroinburg
Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
Just a few of my favorites.

What rifle is that?
__________________
Crackhead retards keep me steadily employed.

I can't leave good enough alone.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014