User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
IckyBob OP
Yes please

Oddometer: 724
DeLorme inReach SE

I just picked up an DeLorme inReach SE, couldn't pass up on the deal. Regular 319cdn +tax it was on for 230cdn. I am often deep into the bowels of the Ontarian Forrest with no cell reception, solo.

My question is, where to mount? I already have my Garmin e trex with a RAM mount on my left handlebar. This is a shot in the dark but does anyone with HDB handguards have this or any device mounted to the central HDB bracket?

As usual any and all help will be appreciated.

Cheers!
IckyBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,763
I take one of the allen head bolts out of the handle bar mounts and then install a spacer and longer bolt from the hardware store. The spacer allows me to put a flat tab style ram ball under the bolt head and then torque it down like stock.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Doesn't needs to be on YOU? What If you get separated from the bike and need help? After seeing a video of just that, I have change my mind. I ride by myself 99% of the time and I do think that the DeLorme InReach SE is the way to go. I hope to have one for my self soon, I was very stupid this winter by riding with out one. Err
Ride Safe, Richard 14 F700GS IBA #59670, MOA #114372 ( My Wyoming has an East infection )

K7TNT screwed with this post 05-19-2015 at 07:49 PM
K7TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Mr B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Hey I have a HDB set up and It mounted my garmin sumo 550 on the center handlebar clamp. I actually had to drill two additional holes in order to install the fasteners. The garmin mount fit just fine, I got two bolts and it was plenty secure. The only issue I had was the zumo was not adjustable in this setup..so the glare kind of made it worthless. but if that is not your issue then it should be fine.
if you drill it out for the fasteners, it is not too hard as mine is aluminum so easy to drill...
sorry cannot get to the bike to upload a picture.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #5
IckyBob OP
Yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7TNT View Post
Doesn't needs to be on YOU? What If you get separated from the bike and need help? After seeing a video of just that, I have change my mind. I ride by myself 99% of the time and I do think that the DeLorme InReach SE is the way to go. I hope to have one for my self soon, I was very stupid this winter by riding with out one. Err
I figure the likelihood of me getting separated from my bike is very minimal. Unless I crash and fly off my bike down a cliff. The more likely thing is I crash and hurt myself or damage my bike to the point I cannot ride it out. In which case I use the InReach to get help starting from a text message all the way to an SOS, given the circumstances.

I guess that's why the call it 'adventure' riding!!

Once I get this little badger mounted I will take a picture for you guys.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #6
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I had an inReach SE but after riding 7 days (out of 13) in torrential rain when I did the Trans-Lab, the thing got so waterlogged that it first fogged up completely and then finally died. When I talked to DeLorme Canada, even though the unit was out of warranty, they said it shouldn't have leaked and they agreed to replace it for free. (Great service!!) So I asked if it would be possible for me to pay the difference and have them send me an inReach Explorer instead (which had come out since I bought the SE). They said that no one had ever asked them before, but that they'd check. Within a day they agreed to it and I'm now a happy camper with the Explorer. The nice thing is that it uses the same mount as the SE and offers much better routing than the SE.

Paired to an iPhone it is absolutely fantastic and when it comes to getting a birds eye view of what is around you, it's way better than the Garmin Zumo I use for my regular navigation. (Often I come across an interesting road and wonder where it might lead, and with the Garmin it's very had to check that out, and with a paper map of course you don't have the "you are here" indication. The Explorer with iPhone is absolutely superb.)

Here's where I have mine mounted:

Cheers
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Do you have an iPhone? If you do, connect it to the inReach via Bluetooth and keep the iPhone in your pocket. That's what I do. That way even if I'm separated from the bike I can still send/receive messages and view the map and my location. And the great thing is that once paired and you download maps to your iPhone, even without using any cellular or wifi connection, you can see where you are on the map thanks to the inReach.

Works like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyBob View Post
I figure the likelihood of me getting separated from my bike is very minimal. Unless I crash and fly off my bike down a cliff. The more likely thing is I crash and hurt myself or damage my bike to the point I cannot ride it out. In which case I use the InReach to get help starting from a text message all the way to an SOS, given the circumstances.

Once I get this little badger mounted I will take a picture for you guys.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
IckyBob OP
Yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Do you have an iPhone? If you do, connect it to the inReach via Bluetooth and keep the iPhone in your pocket. That's what I do. That way even if I'm separated from the bike I can still send/receive messages and view the map and my location. And the great thing is that once paired and you download maps to your iPhone, even without using any cellular or wifi connection, you can see where you are on the map thanks to the inReach.

Works like a charm!
Thanks a Mtl. I do have an iPhone and it's always inside my jacket pocket. That's good advice I will try that out.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
iPhones don't survive crashes well, emergency beacons do.

True story I just was told by a riding buddy a couple weeks ago: A retired friend of his went riding in the local mountains, took a corner he'd ridden dozens of times before just a little too fast, and slid off the road. He had a Spot but it was mounted on the bike. He fractured a femur, a couple other fractures, and had some other pretty serious injuries and was slowly crawling to his bike to try and activate his Spot. After 4 hours his wife noticed his tracking position hadn't moved, his cell didn't have reception, and called a friend to ride out to check on him. He found him drifting in and out of consciousness, still a ways away from his bike. It was over 6 hours after the accident before emergency crews reached his position and began the rescue. Thankfully he made a full recovery and now keeps a DeLorne in his jacket.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross

Wallrat screwed with this post 05-20-2015 at 04:33 PM
Wallrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
inReach SE on sale at REI for $224!
http://www.rei.com/product/857610/de...or#tab-reviews

DeLorme also has a rebate right now on the SE for $50...
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/assets...822_Rebate.pdf

Im hitting the store tomorrow...

David
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:

Works like a charm!
Now that is way cool. I did not know that part, good info! You will get to plug into the bikes power then, also.
(IckyBob) Yes, I to like the InReach to do the text message thing with two way communication. I see this being much better over the Spot IMO. I hope to see your picture of the set up on the bike.
Ride Safe, Richard 14 F700GS IBA #59670, MOA #114372 ( My Wyoming has an East infection )

K7TNT screwed with this post 05-20-2015 at 07:44 PM
K7TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #12
IckyBob OP
Yes please

yesterday I setup the InReach on the Mac, fired off a few test messages and got it connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth. I downloaded the free 'EarthMate' app and it works brilliantly so far. I did not plan on using this device to navigate with but I think I will be leaving my Garmin at home.

I do not use gps to nav on the street, I pull over and use maps. In the bush I prefer to get a grid, orient my map and then go from there which with the iPhone pairing this InReach is capable of doing. Pretty cool really.

Once I get a chance (second child was born two weeks ago) And I get it mounted I will get a few pics of the bike posted up.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

"...plug into the bikes power then..."

You mean the inReach or the phone? I don't have a powered mount for my inReach Explorer, and really don't feel the need to get one. The thing lasts for DAYS on a charge, way longer than I need or am away from somewhere to charge it.

The phone though is another thing altogether. Especially when used for cellular data, etc. I've got to charge it every day. I carry a cigarette-lighter USB gadget and lead the cable into my tank bag to charge the phone.

And as far as other comments about phones breaking, my opinion is that by having the phone paired to the inReach and in my pocket, I've got TWO ways to call for help... either through the phone to the inReach (if I've fallen away from the bike and cannot get to it, or via the inReach directly if I can reach that. And whether I can reach the inReach or not, using the phone as an interface to the inReach is a lot nicer than the inReach itself.

The inReach/phone combo, as nice as it is, doesn't replace my Garmin GPS though. I use the Garmin for routing and the inReach via the phone for getting a birds-eye-view of the surroundings. And of course for text messages and emergency contact when I'm not in cellular coverage areas. For route navigation I prefer the GPS over the inReach Explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7TNT View Post
Now that is way cool. I did not know that part, good info! You will get to plug into the bikes power then, also.
(IckyBob) Yes, I to like the InReach to do the text message thing with two way communication. I see this being much better over the Spot IMO. I hope to see your picture of the set up on the bike.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #14
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyBob View Post

The likelihood of being separated from your bike in a crash is actually pretty high considering that we are not strapped to them.. any crash on the street and the bike always separates from the rider a great deal.. a crash off road you will probably not be separated as far apart but the terrain will make it harder to drag yourself back to the bike if you are injured, which is precisely when you'd need the emergency beacon most!

The question should not be what is the likelihood of being separated, but what are the consequences of being separated from your emergency beacon and if it is worth the cost to mitigate that risk.. If you decided you should carry an emergency beacon in the first place, why not carry it on you? There are no downsides or costs to carrying it on you. It is no safer on your handlebars. A small crash sheered the mirrors and GPS off my handlebars before.

A recent ADV ride report ended with a crash on a sandy road in Mexico. He mentioned he was very thankful to have the Delorme inReach in his backpack. As a someone who works and plays in dangerous situations and considers survival a bit of a hobby, I highly recommend ADV riders carry their emergency devices in a small backpack with their other essentials (first aid etc) Your phone should be on you as well but you should consider it as redundancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
My foot got caught under the bike and in a twisting motion, I felt it break. (It's turning my stomach to type this.) When I hit the ground, the first thing I thought was- shit, my trip's over! Then I realized I needed to hit SOS on my Delorme InReach. Thankfully, it was on my backpack, and not on my bike, because I couldn't move- my leg was just hanging, loose. I just bought this thing, and wasn't prepared for this, but I was able to press SOS.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #15
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 141
Quote:

Works like a charm!
Let me point out that the iPhone 4 and higher have a GPS in the phone, and will do map and location on their own, no need for the inReach for that. I use the Topo Maps app, very happy with it. That said, having the bluetooth connection for satellite comms is a very nice addition.

I'm a firm believer in keeping my emergency beacon on my person, NOT mounted on the bike. Those of you who think you'll be close enough to the bike after a crash to reach and activate the beacon will be wrong a significant fraction of the time.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote