ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
f700gs OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Oddometer: 5
Question Newb ? About Vario Case Lock Barrels

Hi everyone,

Here's my first bike.



I love riding her around NYC . This will be my 2nd season and I just got a vario top box sans lock barrel. I am wondering whether I can just order

A) Lock cylinder with key. Part Number: 51257688568

or

B) Lock cylinder with VIN code. Part Number: 51257681199


Thinking that I could go with (A) if I follow this awesome rekeying tutorial
f700gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
mosey.levy
Beastly Adventurer
 
mosey.levy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 1,145
Call max BMW or ASCycles they are really helpful with ordering small parts.

I just spent hours replacing misc parts on my side vario cases.

Meanwhile nice bike. I ride the same thing in NYC :)

Check out my blog in signature.
__________________
aka motech
http://city-gs.com/ CITY GS on FB
mosey.levy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,152
Easy.

If you plan on getting side cases in the future, order the kit that comes with a bunch of locks. Take your key to pick them up and the Dealer should do it for free.

I showed up at BMW Escondido with 6 used locks and they keyed them for me for free. I donated to the coffee fund as a gesture.
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
f700gs OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
Call max BMW or ASCycles they are really helpful with ordering small parts.

I just spent hours replacing misc parts on my side vario cases.

Meanwhile nice bike. I ride the same thing in NYC :)

Check out my blog in signature.
Awesome blog!! Trackimo is genius-- Best believe we are very paranoid about our bikes getting towed here.
f700gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
f700gs OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Easy.

If you plan on getting side cases in the future, order the kit that comes with a bunch of locks. Take your key to pick them up and the Dealer should do it for free.

I showed up at BMW Escondido with 6 used locks and they keyed them for me for free. I donated to the coffee fund as a gesture.

I don't think I will end up springing for the side cases as I like to keep my figure slim in the urban jungle.

Anyhoo, if anyone else wanders in here, I was told by a dealer that I need (4) ISA Screws M8X65 to mount the topcase to the OEM mounting bracket? Can anyone confirm? I would rather spend the $12 on a few brews than useless screws

f700gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,152
It's supposed to, and always has come with the hardware. The description says "set".

The parts fiche just shows replacements if you need them. In any case, you could always order the screws as they suggest then not buy them cause you don't need them after opening the box.

Or just don't order them, you have the size and I always go buy stainless bolts cheaper than their rusty crap.
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
Freakhead
Living Proof
 
Freakhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: God's Country, Alberta
Oddometer: 311
Order the ones that you can code to match your ignition key. My dealer wanted "only" to charge $120 to code my locks for me. Looked too easy to do to part with that money.

I followed the online tutorial and keyed all 3 of mine in less than half an hour.
__________________
An unlit candle frightens no monkeys.
Freakhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Canada Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Langley BC
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakhead View Post
Order the ones that you can code to match your ignition key. My dealer wanted "only" to charge $120 to code my locks for me. Looked too easy to do to part with that money.

I followed the online tutorial and keyed all 3 of mine in less than half an hour.
+ 1 keying is easy...Stick your key in and move around the raised ones. I think I have about 20 of the number 7's if you need any.
__________________
2013 F800GS
Canada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Mike View Post
+ 1 keying is easy...Stick your key in and move around the raised ones. I think I have about 20 of the number 7's if you need any.
Uh, there is a #1, #2 and a #3.

I guess yours is speshal..............
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Canada Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Langley BC
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Uh, there is a #1, #2 and a #3.

I guess yours is speshal..............
Sorry your correct...I have about 20 number 1's for some reason?
__________________
2013 F800GS
Canada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 4,152
My bikes have been heavy on the #2's. I left a few blanks where I was short, that's not a problem, it still works.

Next time you go to your Dealer, swap some 1's for 2 &3's so you have a kit, sorta. It's those little springs that get you. I grease them so they don't flyl or roll onto the carpet.
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #12
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Canada Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Langley BC
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
My bikes have been heavy on the #2's. I left a few blanks where I was short, that's not a problem, it still works.

Next time you go to your Dealer, swap some 1's for 2 &3's so you have a kit, sorta. It's those little springs that get you. I grease them so they don't flyl or roll onto the carpet.
Hey good idea I'll try and swap some 1's out with the boys in the back so I have a few extra of each.

I left blanks as well but it still works great.
__________________
2013 F800GS
Canada Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015