User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,634
First (600 mile) service ?

EDIT; I bought a year old bike with 2200 miles on it, and fresh tires and just serviced. My COBDR trip is all set!

JustKip screwed with this post 04-29-2015 at 06:38 PM
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Dlupini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I am no expert, but definitely an oil change.

You can look at what BMW says here: http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx
Dlupini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlupini View Post

You can look at what BMW says here: http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx
Thanks!

I can look this over when I get home from work. Working 60+ hours, and it's hard to find time to look this up myself
Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Kickstand Down
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Thanks!

I can look this over when I get home from work. Working 60+ hours, and it's hard to find time to look this up myself
Don't quote me on this, but as far as I remember they change the oil, look stuff over and hook it up to the computer to check everything. I don't want to be a negative nancy, but the break in service is kind of important for most bikes... Even if it's just to prevent hassles with warranty claims down the road.

I guess that if you absolutely can't have it done beforehand, it is what it is, but my dealer basically told me that after the break in feel free to service yourself. They did the break in service for free, and he very strongly recommended having it done.

Is there not a dealer along your trip you could call and see about having it done at? It was pretty quick at mine, so assuming they don't find any issues, you might be in and out in a couple of hours.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Kickstand Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 165
Not sure but the engine may have "break in oil" in it that should be changed out.
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
bimbim86
Some Guy

Oddometer: 35
The break in is just a oil change, and a safety check. Nothing you cant do yourself. Just word of advice keep your receipts of any products you purchase and use, this helps protect you with any future warranty claims.
bimbim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Cdlabate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Research the cracked tank issue. I had a cracked tank at 1200 miles...technically it's not the tank that cracks, but the surrounding tank plastic. I had it replaced under warranty. It's not a huge issue, just a pain in the ass!
Cdlabate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Found an lightly used '14 GSA, I'll be test riding tomorrow. Fresh service and tires, and ready to hit the COBDR in 2 weeks!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
tkaak
Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
GET the 600 mile service! A warranty is a warranty, never give anyone the chance to deny you coverage for something that should be done BY THE BOOK! I was told by my tech at BMW that the first oil change would show some fuzzy oil from the break-in period. I didn't see the oil, but I'll take his word for it.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #10
bimbim86
Some Guy

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaak View Post
GET the 600 mile service! A warranty is a warranty, never give anyone the chance to deny you coverage for something that should be done BY THE BOOK! I was told by my tech at BMW that the first oil change would show some fuzzy oil from the break-in period. I didn't see the oil, but I'll take his word for it.
BMW will not deny your warranty claim based on you doing your own service. As long as you provide receipts of any maintence products you purchase. Dealers like to say it will void your warrenty, but remember they are in the business of making money....

In the owners manual I believe it lists what should be done at the service intervals. If not you can just call the dealer and ask what they do at certain mileages. Ask for a print out or a email to have the checklist with you.
bimbim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Here you go - http://www.ascycles.com/service_schedules.aspx
Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
Kickstand Down
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbim86 View Post
BMW will not deny your warranty claim based on you doing your own service. As long as you provide receipts of any maintence products you purchase. Dealers like to say it will void your warrenty, but remember they are in the business of making money....

In the owners manual I believe it lists what should be done at the service intervals. If not you can just call the dealer and ask what they do at certain mileages. Ask for a print out or a email to have the checklist with you.
It won't "void" your warranty, and in the US the manufacturer has to prove that whatever went wrong was attributable to you not getting/performing service. However, with a BMW they are going to check nearly everything that isn't a wear part by hooking it up and seeing what the computer says. It's obviously going to depend on your dealership and relationship, but if you skip the 600 mile, have engine trouble at 3,000 miles and it turns out to be something the computer would have detected.... there's a good chance they're gonna fight you on it.

Again, changing your oil/tires/brakes/troubleshooting/whatever after you've gotten the 600 mile service is one thing, but skipping the break in service is likely to throw up red flags.

It's a tough situation, but if you absolutely can't find a dealer before or on your route to do the service, I'd beg and plead to see if they could find someone willing to switch appointments with you or something. It may not work, and you may be fine but I think people sometimes just need to ask the question on stuff like this. If you have a relationship with them and are paying their bills, they'll usually be happy to be flexible if it means another sale down the road. BMW motorcycles in the US aren't Harley or Honda. They have to work for their sales, and their dealerships (couple I've been to at least) act like they want your business.

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Kickstand Down is offline   Reply With Quote