User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #166
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
Touratech

Installed today the Touratech bars with the extensions. I must say it was a small challenge for an inexperienced in mechanics. You WILL need a central stand or a friend to help hold the bike for a few minutes and a good set of tools of course! Since my Center stand hasn't come yet and my mechanic skills aren't that good, i had some help from a friend. Here is a pic of the right side with foot peg off and trying to take the last screw out ,the one that holds the brake lever.
Arrows show the mounting spots on the bike. Only the part of the bars that comes between the brake lever and the frame is screwed in place. The top mounting spot is held in place with a pair of quill spacers , but not screwed on the frame nor is the original screw removed.
Crash bars mounted, right side :

Looks like OEM , lower mounting spot disappears behind the brake lever.
Mounted left side :

This is the easiest part where you need a central stand or a friend to hold the bike. Arrows show where the bolds which hold the stand must be removed , the Bars screwed between the stand and the frame.Again ,the top mounting spot is held in place with a pair of quill spacers.
Installation of the extensions where super easy.
Altogether mounted and ready to go, right side :

Left side :

Front mounting spots:

Nothing comes near my knees , shins , or whatever part of my legs. In the next photo , i am sitting as if i rode 2up , near the front of the bike.(I am 1.83meters tall with an original, not low, seat) :

Links for the installation instructions: Roll bars and the extensions
As it says there ,the crash bar extension usually bears the impact in a fall. Extension bar can be removed and often still adjusted back into alignment. This is good , just a small bar that can be easy and relatively cheaply replaced with a new one or fixed in the field with a stone

PS : I like how the bars + extension look on the bike!
PS2 : As you might noticed , the bars DO NOT MOUNT TO ANY POINTS ON THE ENGINE + engine is partially protected from the low side (waiting the OEM bash plate to complete protection from bellow)
PS3 : Don't forget to apply thread locker to all the screws!
EDIT : Check the protection WITH the BMW bash plate , excellent!

EDIT 2 : Tried to help a friend install his bars and got to say some more information! First of all , be VERY careful when you try to unscrew the bolts. They can be easily destroyed and then you need specialized tools and perhaps extra screws. If you use a heat gun they come off super easy and should be used if available. Personally ,i used my wifes heat gun for hair (don't know how it is called in English) but had to use it for 10 mins each time. Secondly , in some cases (my friends bike for example) the bars can't fit between the frame and the exhaust pipes and must be pushed a bit. Thirdly , amply Medium thread locker on the bolts on the left side and the brake bolt!! My side stand almost fell off after an all day off road tour. everywhere else soft thread locker is ok. And for the last , DON'T screw tight the brake , side stand and crash bar bolts too tight at first. Tight screw the quill spacers first , then one after the other little by little.If you screw the bolts this way you will see a fit you wont believe it would be possible before .

markas screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 11:37 PM
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #167
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 555
Can anybody who has installed the Givi bars tell me if you need to replace the bolt marked by the top arrow on this picture or if you put the threaded cone and the expansion tube in the hole without removing the original Torx-head bolt?

(Markas, sorry for hijacking your picture , it was perfect for my question)

Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 AM   #168
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode
Can anybody who has installed the Givi bars tell me if you need to replace the bolt marked by the top arrow on this picture or if you put the threaded cone and the expansion tube in the hole without removing the original Torx-head bolt?

(Markas, sorry for hijacking your picture , it was perfect for my question)
You don't remove the torx head bolt, just insert the threaded cone and expansion tube. There are two existing bolt holes under the BMW case cover that are used. So you never remove any existing bolt to mount them.

Install pics that I did when I mounted mine. It will take you about 15 minutes with the obligatory libation breaks!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=f800gs+givi
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #169
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,841
Highway Pegs

The only problem I have with them is that they are mounted too high. I amm 6ft 34 inseem and my knees are preactically into my chest ..the only way i get any use out of them is to lay my legs across them.

I chose the SW-motech crash bars because they provide good coverage. Plus, they have highway peg mounts built in. F800Depot sell pegs that bolt right on. Those pegs are also the only all black pegs I've seen that are decent quality.[/quote]
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #170
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
I have the Adventure Spec guards (and bash plate) with Rivco Highway Pegs.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #171
antipode
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
You don't remove the torx head bolt, just insert the threaded cone and expansion tube. There are two existing bolt holes under the BMW case cover that are used. So you never remove any existing bolt to mount them.

Install pics that I did when I mounted mine. It will take you about 15 minutes with the obligatory libation breaks!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=f800gs+givi
Bike4fun, thanks for the pics and explanation, that's exactly what I was looking for!

What bash plate do you have?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #172
antipode
Wanderer

Anybody with Givi crash bars, what kind of bash plate do you have?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #173
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
As i see in Bike4fun's photos , the bash plate is the BMW one. It is very good , have now the same one. Read the thread and you will find lots of info about bash plates and crash bars. Keep in mind that some crash bars (including the Givi ones) will be in the way of your legs depending your height or riding position. check the photos , check your legs while you ride and then decide.
limited info about this issue is here :http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=hurting
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #174
xlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I´m thinking of buying a set of sw-motech for my 650 twin, has anyone noticed more vibration after installing crash bars? I ask because when me and my riding buddy had our transalp´s his had more bad vibes than mine and he had crash bars on his.

/Mike
xlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #175
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlv
I´m thinking of buying a set of sw-motech for my 650 twin, has anyone noticed more vibration after installing crash bars? I ask because when me and my riding buddy had our transalp´s his had more bad vibes than mine and he had crash bars on his.

/Mike
None.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #176
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,547
Motec
Since I never drew Unemployment, never licked a food stamp, never spent a dollar of welfare, did my time in the military, and voted in every election since I've been old enough....I COMPLETELY REJECT THE PREMISE OF "WHITE PRIVILEGE"

upweekis screwed with this post 10-30-2014 at 06:49 AM
upweekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #177
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode
Anybody with Givi crash bars, what kind of bash plate do you have?
i do with a bmw skid plate you can bump your shins on the bars but i've never hurt myself yet and they do keep everything off the ground
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #178
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlv
I´m thinking of buying a set of sw-motech for my 650 twin, has anyone noticed more vibration after installing crash bars?
/Mike
Negative. No difference at all.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 AM   #179
Mariner55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Adventure Spec crash bars

Hello,
Has anyone had problems with your knees making contact with the upper aft section of the crash bar?
Thanks,John
Mariner55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #180
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
I am not speaking from personal experience but I would assume that if you did some hard braking and slid forward on the bike a bit your knees would bump the Adv-Spec bars, mainly because they are so high. Honestly I don't know because I don't have the bike yet...

Maybe if someone with Adv-Spec bars could take some pictures of them on the bike so I could see the knee clearance.
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote