Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #196
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
[QUOTE=Dert Gerl]Well, after way too long the Farkle Fab crash bars are done. Not even powder coated yet, but out for their first test ride last weekend.

I had the adventure spec bars on my bike and hit my knees on them regularly. The Farkle Fab bars angle out away from the bike leaving room for your knees. I'm 5' 6" with a 30" inseam and these worked out much better for me. I also have the low seat on my bike, which seems to scoot you forward more than the standard seat.

Looks like you have a few dings in that front wheel like I did!! Got it rebuilt by Woody's Wheels with a more narrow rim (1.85), beefier spokes, superlace, the whole deal. So much better now. Riding harder on it and no issues.

Oh, what tires you running, Michelin?
never.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #197
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Thumb

[quote=theproscloset]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
Well, after way too long the Farkle Fab crash bars are done. Not even powder coated yet, but out for their first test ride last weekend.

I had the adventure spec bars on my bike and hit my knees on them regularly. The Farkle Fab bars angle out away from the bike leaving room for your knees. I'm 5' 6" with a 30" inseam and these worked out much better for me. I also have the low seat on my bike, which seems to scoot you forward more than the standard seat.

Looks like you have a few dings in that front wheel like I did!! Got it rebuilt by Woody's Wheels with a more narrow rim (1.85), beefier spokes, superlace, the whole deal. So much better now. Riding harder on it and no issues.

Oh, what tires you running, Michelin?
I have a whole buncha smileys in tthat front rim! Baja trips will do that! LOL

I've hear lots of good stuff about Woody's. Thanks for the info. That's probably the route I'll go when I replace it. For now I'll probably just run it until it gives me issues. The rims on all my bikes look like that.

Yep, I put the Michelin Deserts on for a baja trip and I'm really happy with them. They have a much stiffer sidewall then the TKC's. They are just about done after last weekend's ride and I'll be getting another set.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #198
wordnow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Just got Adv-Spec bars. Not installed yet. Never have worked on my new F800GS yet. For those of you who have installed the bars, do you know what the torque is to be on the M10 bolt that just says "manufactures specification"? Also, I have the BMW skid plate and was wondering if any of you who installed the Adv-Speck bars have it too and any problems between the two. Also, any advice on what torque wrench you use. Thanks
wordnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #199
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordnow
Just got Adv-Spec bars. Not installed yet. Never have worked on my new F800GS yet. For those of you who have installed the bars, do you know what the torque is to be on the M10 bolt that just says "manufactures specification"?
I torqued mine to the same spec as the single allen head (line #5 "M10 button head") that goes on the left front bar set. 34 NM. The recommended was something like 60+ NM...too much. Seems to be OK but YMMV. Per Pack Mule (big help BTW) I used anti sieze on the bolts that go into the engine. I will check it with my torque wrench several times to make sure it all holds.

Sorry I also got the A-S bash plate so no info there for you. The fit on my crash bars was absolutely perfect BTW. Real good quality control work.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #200
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordnow
Just got Adv-Spec bars. Not installed yet. Never have worked on my new F800GS yet. For those of you who have installed the bars, do you know what the torque is to be on the M10 bolt that just says "manufactures specification"? Also, I have the BMW skid plate and was wondering if any of you who installed the Adv-Speck bars have it too and any problems between the two. Also, any advice on what torque wrench you use. Thanks
Check here for the torque setting: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8537282&postcount=76

I used to have the Adv-Spec bars with the BMW bash plate. No problems at all.

You can't go wrong with a Snap-On torque wrench... My parents gave me one for Christmas years ago. It's a joy to use. Proxxon makes some nice ones too. That said, depending on how much you use it, a Craftsman will do just as well.

Rob in Seattle
Old 08-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #201
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,584
30mph get-off (for story & pictures click "done" in my sig-line) with Adventure-Spec bars.

Right side crash bar took impact of fall and scrape damage:

They got knocked out of line a little and the bracket holding the right-hand bar is bent:

Tyres are scuffed up a little, hand guards too but the only other damage was to the pillion pegs:

The bike itself is absolutely untouched!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 06-05-2010 at 01:45 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #202
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath
Install pretty straight forward. Like all others, wait til the end to tighten anything down...

Took nearly 3 months to arrive by boat...
Hiyas!

I just bought a F8, take delivery in a few days time. I was pretty set on the Adventure spec bash plate and crash bars but after seeing these Wild@Heart bars I think I'd prefer them. They look great and looks like they have plenty of room for the knees whereas I see the ADV spec ones seem to cause some knee bashing problems.

So my question is: Will these Wild@Heart bars fit with the stock BMW bash plate and/or the advspec bash plate?

I'm guessing getting them to Australia might take some time too? Post out of RSA is pretty bad hey. Or are they available from F800depot.com to be shipped to Australia?
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!

Dirt Diver screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 08:25 AM
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #203
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
30mph get-off (for story & pictures click "Salop" in my sig-line) with Adventure-Spec bars.
The bike itself is absolutely untouched!
That's awesome! Just convinced me 100% that I want these bars.
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #204
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 711
Very happy with the metal mule crash bars.

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #205
seebag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver
Hiyas!

I just bought a F8, take delivery in a few days time. I was pretty set on the Adventure spec bash plate and crash bars but after seeing these Wild@Heart bars I think I'd prefer them. They look great and looks like they have plenty of room for the knees whereas I see the ADV spec ones seem to cause some knee bashing problems.

So my question is: Will these Wild@Heart bars fit with the stock BMW bash plate and/or the advspec bash plate?

I'm guessing getting them to Australia might take some time too? Post out of RSA is pretty bad hey. Or are they available from F800depot.com to be shipped to Australia?

I own the wild@heart bars with the BMW bash plate. Wanted the adventure spec bash plate but the two aren't compatible. At least not out of the box.
seebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #206
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
Wunderlich goodness

After countless hours of staring at online photos of crashbars and engine guards I finally ordered the Wunderlich Adventure Bars as well as their 'Extreme' Skid Plate. Does anybody else run this combo and if so are there any tricks or gotchas I need to know for mounting? I don't have the Wunderlich products yet (they should be here tomorrow) but below are some photos from their website. I'll be sure to post better pictures of mine later this week after I get them installed.

I was really hoping to order the Twalcom Motorally plate but couldn't confirm it would work with the Wunderlich Adventure Bars.

Brian
Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #207
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 356
My WAH bars fit with the BMW bashplate just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver
Hiyas!

vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #208
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
Wunderlich Bars and Plate

I installed the Wunderlich Adenture Bars and Extreme Skid Plate combo a couple of days ago. I'm pretty happy with how they look, as they seem to offer a good deal of protection, but we'll see how they do. The fit was a little tight on the bars but the skid plate was perfect. I do wish the front of the plate was a few inches higher.

Brian
Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #209
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,710
I have the Adv-Spec bars and my knees used to touch a little bit with the stock seat (high) and pegs.
I now have Fastway Pegs in low position and Touratech high touring seat and I am nowhere close to touching my knees. There's a good 4-6 inches space now.
I think it's a combination of the seat height, peg lower, and also the fact that the new seat sets you back away from the "tank" more.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #210
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBri
I installed the Wunderlich Adenture Bars and Extreme Skid Plate combo a couple of days ago. I'm pretty happy with how they look, as they seem to offer a good deal of protection, but we'll see how they do. The fit was a little tight on the bars but the skid plate was perfect. I do wish the front of the plate was a few inches higher.

Brian
Brian,

Good photo's. I will probably be ordering these bars myself when I get around to it. Seems like they have the best coverage of them all and not sure why they are not more universally loved. The Adv Spec seem to get all the love, but I can't look past that funny hard on looking thing that goes up mirroring the fo-tank plastics. I'd probably feel diffrently if I laid the bike over, but the Wunderlichs seem to also go out far enough. Plus these bars seem to do a far better job of protecting the pipes and has better coverage all the way back.

TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote