Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #226
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Anyone installed the Hepco & Beckers with the BMW aluminum bash plate?

Any interference?

Looking at a set today...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #227
mtm100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Anyone installed the Hepco & Beckers with the BMW aluminum bash plate?

Any interference?

Looking at a set today...

Yup, No problems at all.
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #228
jodyz121
Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer: 291
Touratech Crash Bars

I just finished mounting the Touratech Engine Crash Bars and the Fairing Extensions. The instructions were crap, and it took a lot longer than I planned, but it all came together pretty well. No misalignments or bending required.

One unforeseen benefit was that after three trips to Harbor Freight, I now have a complete set of tools for the bike (total cost about $30). Don't get the heat gun - you don't need it.

I saw someone complaining that the right side bar would not fit between the header pipes and the frame, and I believe he removed some parts from the exhaust to make it fit, but that wasn't required. It only goes on one way, however, and you just have to use your imagination ('cause the instructions and pictures are no help).

Anyway, I think they're some of the best looking protection bars out there and seem to offer as much or more coverage as any of the others I've seen. I really like the way they mount to the frame, not the engine. However, they are designed to protect the engine and the fairing, not the pipes. Before I do any serious off-road riding I will be looking for a bash plate that extends upward around the edges to protect the header pipes.

Also, if you ever have to remove and remount either of the footpegs, have another pair of hands standing by....

jodyz121 screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 01:34 PM
jodyz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #229
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
Has someone one made a tutorial with detail pictures on how to install Adv-Spec crash bars? I think that if the instructions are that bad then maybe someone on here who has done it, or better yet JUST done it should make one up for us future buyers out there!
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #230
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter
Has someone one made a tutorial with detail pictures on how to install Adv-Spec crash bars? I think that if the instructions are that bad then maybe someone on here who has done it, or better yet JUST done it should make one up for us future buyers out there!
I thought the Adv-Spec instructions were superb. Best instructions I've gotten with any of the farkles I've put on the bike. The only thing missing was the torque spec for the bolts with the insert up at the top.

Rob in Seattle
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #231
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter
You won't need it, like Rob said, the Adventure-Spec instructions are excellent. The dude who was complaining was referring to Touratech bars. Touratech are renowned for appalling mounting and fitting instructions (amongst other things).
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #232
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
You won't need it, like Rob said, the Adventure-Spec instructions are excellent. The dude who was complaining was referring to Touratech bars. Touratech are renowned for appalling mounting and fitting instructions (amongst other things).
touratech sucks. They sell a few good parts, & lots of crap parts. Problem is both are over priced. Whenever possible I'll give my $$ to any other company. Screw me once, shame on TT. Screw me again w/ cheapo crap parts on my New F8GS when there are great companies making good aftermarket stuff for it? I don't think so...
Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #233
Haku
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
I thought the Adv-Spec instructions were superb. Best instructions I've gotten with any of the farkles I've put on the bike. The only thing missing was the torque spec for the bolts with the insert up at the top.

Rob in Seattle
Rob I too had issues with finding out the correct torque settings. I guess due to liability Adventure Spec cannot state what the BMW torque settings are. After a few calls I was told that 25ft lbs or 35nm are the torque setting for the M10 bolts (BMW T50's).

I just completed my install of the bars and bash plate. The instructions were good and I found Adventure Spec to be prompt in their delivery and good folk when asked for advice.

Haku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #234
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
Oops just realized you were right and those were the TT's with bad instructions not the Adv-Spec. Thanks for not flaming me guys!
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #235
Damir
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyz121
I just finished mounting the Touratech Engine Crash Bars and the Fairing Extensions. The instructions were crap, and it took a lot longer than I planned, but it all came together pretty well. No misalignments or bending required.

One unforeseen benefit was that after three trips to Harbor Freight, I now have a complete set of tools for the bike (total cost about $30). Don't get the heat gun - you don't need it.

I saw someone complaining that the right side bar would not fit between the header pipes and the frame, and I believe he removed some parts from the exhaust to make it fit, but that wasn't required. It only goes on one way, however, and you just have to use your imagination ('cause the instructions and pictures are no help).

Anyway, I think they're some of the best looking protection bars out there and seem to offer as much or more coverage as any of the others I've seen. I really like the way they mount to the frame, not the engine. However, they are designed to protect the engine and the fairing, not the pipes. Before I do any serious off-road riding I will be looking for a bash plate that extends upward around the edges to protect the header pipes.

Also, if you ever have to remove and remount either of the footpegs, have another pair of hands standing by....
I had almost the same experience, but I had all the tools. Here are few pics of my bike with TT crashbars and BMW bash plate.

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #236
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I have to say, although the Touratech bars don't look like they're capable of much, I've dumped my bike at low speed several times and it has suffered no damage. Between the handguards and the crach bars, no bodywork hits the ground. Passenger pegs seem to keep the back end off the dirt as well. The last one was on some rocky ledges, sort of step-ups and I stalled it out trying to be graceful and save my rims (and teeth). She hit the ground hard and I though something would have to get bent, but nope, all good. Surprised and impressed at the same time. Sorry, no camera with me...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #237
everywherevirtually
In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer: 186
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
30mph get-off (for story & pictures click "Salop" in my sig-line) with Adventure-Spec bars.

Tyres are scuffed up a little, hand guards too but the only other damage was to the pillion pegs:

The bike itself is absolutely untouched!
yeah those pillion pegs are pretty prone...

I dont know on which fall I broke mine but eventually that plastic ring gave way. That little piece is responsible for creating the resistance to keep the peg up when not in use. The split plastic piece fell out and my peg was moving laterally and would not stay in the up position. I took the foot peg off. Cleaned it all up. Super glued the plastic piece back together and then reassembled. It is all as good as new now until the next time
everywherevirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #238
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 356
I really like how the Wild at heart bars complement the bike's lines...
Attached Images

vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #239
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath
I really like how the Wild at heart bars complement the bike's lines...
Wow!!

Killer shot!
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #240
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Had a preety nasty crash yesterday. ADV spec crashbars and barkbusters handguards saved my bike!
It was one of those crashes that during that fraction of a second you'r airbourne while watching the bike roll, you think you'r done. Crashed at 90~100KM/h (50~60 MPH) on a dirt road, and i was amazed to how the bike survived with some minor damage and scratches!
For all those who say the 800GS can't handle a crash... you'r seriously mistaken!
The crash bars only got a little bent and are now flat on the lef side from all the time she spent sliding, as well as the handle bar. Bent and ruberless, the passenger footpeg did a good job.
No real external damage, i'll be checking for damage on the frame and suspension today.

It's a great bike, Now i know she can handle anything!