User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #256
solohvs
somewhere around the bend

Oddometer: 177
Givi Crash Bars

These are the Givi Crash Bars on my f800GS. Not as much protection as some, but enough to get the job done. Installing the bars was easy - about 30 minutes after all my tools were assembled. The fit and finish is excellent.

Out of the box you get everything you need - no damage during shipping and no missing parts. The directions were brief but complete.

The Givi Bars have clean lines and look good - the result looks OEM.

A good looking addition to the bike.
Brian
solohvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #257
Ironman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Adventure-Spec crashbars and sump protector

Just installed today. Couldn't have asked for better fit and finish. Sump/Bash guard has incredible protection, and I think it looks great to boot! Great service/shipping. Ordered Wednesday night, and on the bike by Friday afternoon. Can't beat that! Now if it will just warm up so I can go out and test the stuff!

http://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/tran...background.gif) no-repeat left">
Adventure-Spec crashbars and sump protector
2011 Husky SMS630 (sold); 2010 Husky TE510
2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #258
B-B

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Chrisjk, I think you have exagerated as to how hard the SW-Motech bolt heads are!!
I have eaten harder cheese!! Absolute rubbish bolts.
I am in the process of replacing them with quality stainless steel bolts!!
I'd rather have soft bolts on something designed to take an impact that attaches to the engine. Rather mangle the bolt then the engine it's threaded into.
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #259
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Crash bars - frame or engine mount?

Picking up my new F8 shortly and looking at crash bars and bash plates. I see very few negative comments, but wondering which of these attach *only* to the frame vs. frame and engine. Several of these attach to the frame above the engine, but then appear to be connected to the engine itself lower down. Or am I missing something? Seems that attaching to both would induce more vibration into the frame and place stress on the engine when the bike goes down.

Great site, really looking forward to this bike!

OrcasKen screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 08:31 PM
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #260
Waino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasKen
Picking up my new F8 shortly and looking at crash bars and bash plates. I see very few negative comments, but wondering which of these attach *only* to the frame vs. frame and engine. Several of these attach to the frame above the engine, but then appear to be connected to the engine itself lower down. Or am I missing something? Seems that attaching to both would induce more vibration into the frame and place stress on the engine when the bike goes down.
My question exactly. TT makes a big point about not mounting crash bars to the engine - which makes a lot of sense. You're trying to protect the engine, not transfer crash force to it. But, from the real life reviews in this thread, it sounds like the Adv Spec, Givi, etc. bars work fine. Anyone notice any damage to the engine mounting points with these bars that have been crashed? I've been leaning toward the TT bars because they only mount to the frame, and now maybe it's not a valid reason.
Waino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #261
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Dunno... but I've dropped mine fully loaded with a couple hundred pounds of extra weight in the sidecases and top case, etc, 8 times and the Holan's have been perfect. And I think the TT's are ugly as sin. Not that I'm an aesthetics whore, but maybe I am.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #262
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Horses for Courses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
And I think the TT's are ugly as sin. Not that I'm an aesthetics whore, but maybe I am.
Ha! That's pretty funny. I switched from the Adv-Spec to the Touratech crash-bars 'cause I liked the look of the TT bars way better. (And I ran into the Adv-Spec bars with my knees.) So clearly it's a matter of personal taste....

As I've said elsewhere, I got my money's worth from the Adv-Spec bars before I sold them, and they did the job fine on one slow-speed street drop and three or four dirt drops, paying for themselves in keeping the plastic pristine through it all. I bought Helge Pedersen's line on the TT bars hook line n' sinker--he liked them better because they didn't attach to the engine. I figure he knows more than I do. Probably not as much as some of you though.

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #263
Waino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waino
TT makes a big point about not mounting crash bars to the engine
I have an answer to my own question. You can't help but notice that BMW did leave a pair of generous mounting holes in the engine. These are either left over from assembly, or are meant to attach something to. I checked their parts, and it turns out that BMW attaches their own crash guards to these holes. So it seems some engineer at BMW thinks it's OK to attach a crash guard to the engine. Good 'nuff for me.
Waino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #264
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Oh I definitely fully believe those holes are there specifically for the purpose of mounting bars, but I can't say whether or not that's a good idea? I dunno. I'm just a dumb guy riding a bike
And ok, to be fair, I don't think th bottom sections are ugly at all, the only part I don't like about the TTs are the supplemental protection sections you add on, I just think it looks... unnatural... but it probably does add a good weak point so that in the event that we each drop hard, my bars could bend needing a full replacement and maybe just that top section would be bent only needing to replace that top part.
Either way, go with what we love! Cheers
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #265
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
I installed the Wunderlich Adventure bars yesterday. It wasn't as easy as I thought. Looking at them out of the box, you think "Oh cool, I just put screws in all these holes and I'm good to go!". I was hoping to give my husband a break but about 30 seconds into it I realize I needed his help, identifying what the heck kind of tools I needed and his torque wrench instructions. Lucky for me. he's been a mechanic all his life so any tool, I need, I have access to...I just can't identify what the heck I need, half the freaking time...

All and all it wasn't terribly painful...the centerstand was the biggest PITA.

I'm REALLY REALLY happy with the way they look.

Got my BMW spoilers for the large handguards in the mail today..going to install those tomorrow..If I can figure out a way to screw them to the top and the bottom, I am going to order a second pair to provide extra protection from the wind.

I can't ride right now (snowmagedon) but I can screw shit to it.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?

Catskill screwed with this post 03-01-2010 at 11:37 AM
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #266
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Some better pictures I took today.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #267
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Just installed the Hepco & Beckers. Ten-minute job, fit great, well out of the way of my knees (which is why I don't have Givis). Only gripe? You need four different sizes of hex key to tighten seven bolts. FFS.

Thoughts on "mounting crash bars to the engine":

I want you to imagine your engine block, floating in space. No bike, no frame, just the engine, floating weightless.

Now imagine it floating over a corrugated, bumpy road at 60.

Now imagine someone turned gravity back on and you have to suspend your engine in a wheeled frame, held on only by a few measly bolts.

Imagine that frame zooming along over the bumps, cracks and potholes transmitting every bump, jolt and jar directly into your engine case, hour after hour, day after day, for hundreds of thousands of miles.

That's exactly what happens when you bolt your engine into your motorcycle and ride it.

Still worried about a couple of bumps from a well-designed crash bar?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #268
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 795
Givi bars and any bash plate...

I am liking those Givi bars...think I made the decision.

Who is running these with a bash plate and what has worked...

So far, I really think I like the BMW best. The AdvSpec looks good too, but I am concerned about fit with the Givis.

Bike is on it's way...so I gotta get these ordered soon...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #269
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
I am liking those Givi bars...think I made the decision.

Who is running these with a bash plate and what has worked...

So far, I really think I like the BMW best. The AdvSpec looks good too, but I am concerned about fit with the Givis.

Bike is on it's way...so I gotta get these ordered soon...
If you like the BMW check out this thread, I bought a pair for my wife and I.
F800GS Motooverland

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #270
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Here's a few pics of the Holan Pro crashbars. It took a couple weeks for the to arrive but I knew they were on back order when I ordered so no complaint.

They bolted up nicely after I figured out that the instructions were wrong on which spacers go where. If the instructions had been correct it would have been a fifteen minute job. As it was, it took another fifteen minutes and opening a new beer to get it figured out.

Package contents minus a whole lot of bubble-wrap.

Full Frontal

Nice tidy fit