Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #286
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
. Hopefully they will never be tested (yeah, right).

BUT, FYI the Adv Spec bash plate doesn't fit with the Givi Bars! $^%*#@$@#$(%(% Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebs. It was reported by some clown or another to fit with the Givi bars but....again, don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.

So...do I change the bars or the bash plate????...hmmmm....Checking out the options today. I think I will stick with the bars and buy the MotoOverland bash plate...

Look for the AdvSpec plate in flea market soon...
Why not just notch out the offending portion of the plate?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #287
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
My old bike was finally picked up last night, so I got into farkling mode with the new F800. Been a while since I rolled around the garage floor with a new bike.

Installed the Givi Crash bars last night. They went on very easily. They supposedly protect the plastic, and I have seen photos to support these claims, but they don't come up very high on the bike. This is why I bought them, incidently, because so many of the other crash bars are HUGE things that completely cover the bike from top to bottom. Hopefully they will never be tested (yeah, right).

BUT, FYI the Adv Spec bash plate doesn't fit with the Givi Bars! $^%*#@$@#$(%(% Don't believe everything you read on the Interwebs. It was reported by some clown or another to fit with the Givi bars but....again, don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.

So...do I change the bars or the bash plate????...hmmmm....Checking out the options today. I think I will stick with the bars and buy the MotoOverland bash plate...

Look for the AdvSpec plate in flea market soon...
Check which component is structural and modify the one that is not... Most of the bars should be structural while the edges of the plate might be easily removed...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #288
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Check which component is structural and modify the one that is not... Most of the bars should be structural while the edges of the plate might be easily removed...
Quote:
Why not just notch out the offending portion of the plate?
I hear ya...and I thought about this...but I don't really have the tools or the talent to do it. Just ask my wife...my "honey do" list is a mile long because I tend to screw these things up and make them worse than they ever were

Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #289
Chillson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Givi Vs Adventure Spec???

I'm torn as to which crash bars to go with, the Givi or the Adventure spec? I really like the Givi crash bars but will they protect the plastic?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #290
Penguin69
You pay as you go

Oddometer: 41
I opted for the SW Motech bars. I like the looks, and I found a dealer in Germany that sells them at a reasonable price. Took about a week to have them delivered to Sweden. Easy installation, nothing to complain on.

Penguin69 screwed with this post 06-04-2010 at 01:35 PM
Penguin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #291
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Question

I'd like to hear what people think about how well their choice of crash bars will protect more than just the engine? Plastics, etc?

Also, for the long highway miles (you know, it happens), do your crash bars serve as a decent forward footrest?

Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #292
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictrolis
I'd like to hear what people think about how well their choice of crash bars will protect more than just the engine? Plastics, etc?

I'd like to know specifically about the Hepco Becker bars. Thinking if switching my Holans for those on my F650 (for purely aesthetic reasons), but am wondering if Hepcos are high/wide enough to protect the plastic.

Nothing to report on the Holan Pros, never had to use em (knock knock).
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #293
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictrolis
I'd like to hear what people think about how well their choice of crash bars will protect more than just the engine? Plastics, etc?...
Seek and ye shall find. It's all there in the 'Index', stickied at the top of the Parallel Universe page.

Adventure-Spec

Givi
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN

Wildman screwed with this post 06-05-2010 at 02:52 AM
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #294
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant
I'd like to know specifically about the Hepco Becker bars. Thinking if switching my Holans for those on my F650 (for purely aesthetic reasons), but am wondering if Hepcos are high/wide enough to protect the plastic.

Nothing to report on the Holan Pros, never had to use em (knock knock).

I have the Hepco Becker bars and they work great and look great.
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #295
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
+ 1 for adventure spec

Well having only recently joined the madness that is buying an adventure motorbike and realising I hadn't budgeted for a million semi optional but not really optional accessories I decided that maybe I should skip the crash bars. With no plans to go off roading in the next few months I nearly decided to put the crash bars on hold but due to pure luck I decided to hit the credit card and bought the Adventure Spec bars. No more than five days after installing them (super easy apart from there is a typo in the install guide) I managed to hit something slippery in the rain on a roundabout in the UK and lowsided my brand new GS down the tarmac at about 20Mph. It hadn't even seen its first 500 mile service

To make matters slightly more interesting there was an under cover cop car right behind me who witnessed my slow motion crash.

Now thanks to the crash bars both me and the bike got away very lightly. The only really damaged item on the bike is the rear pillion peg (18 to replace say BMW). This and the crash bars propped the rest of the bike up as it slid down the road and prevented further damage. They are now slightly out of alignment but still perfectly serviceable (see last pic). The pannier racking system took a few scratches but still works fine. My Barkbusters took a beating (hand guard mounting screw has worn through) but saved the brake handle and other bits.

The Adventure spec bars have saved me a massive insurance bill and once the police had helped my lift my bike up I was able to ride home. When you look at how high up the bars have worn I don't know if some of the smaller bars would have protected all the plastic.

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #296
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,887
Oh, snap!

Welcome to the site Corona! What did the plod say?

Ps. fill in your profile.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #297
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona
When you look at how high up the bars have worn I don't know if some of the smaller bars would have protected all the plastic.
They only wore that high up because they go that high up.

For example, with sw-motech bars, if the bike was sliding on a flat surface like yours was, the top of the motech bars would be scratched, but not the plastics
even though the motech bars don't go up as high.

This is because the sw-motech bars keep the side fairings off the ground. There is a balance point, and if momentum were to push the bike past the balance point, then the handle bars would touch down as well momentarily.

That's why bark busters or something simliar are necessary to protect the grips/levers, etc.

Take a look at this 800 with sw-motech bars.

As you can see, on a flat surface slide such as you had, the sw-motechs would protect the plastic because they keep the plastic off the ground. If you were to push the bike past the balance point so that the handle bars were touching the ground as well, the geometry of the crash bars and handlebars would provide clearance for the side fairings.

The only area I think Adventure Spec bars excel in protection is on uneven or rocky ground because the metal does go up higher and can keep a rock or other uneven terrain from hitting the plastic, etc.

But on a flat surface slide, the sw-motechs, givi, and some others that don't go up as high would protect just as well as the adventure specs.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 06-06-2010 at 01:20 PM
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #298
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Oh, snap!

Welcome to the site Corona! What did the plod say?

Ps. fill in your profile.
Thanks Wildman. It was in fact your original post that tipped me towards the Adventure bars. Thanks for the road test

Plod didn't seem bothered. I wasn't doing anything stupid and myself and the bike, although beaten up, were good to carry on. They blocked the round about with their car to stop me getting run over then helped me pick it up and stick it on its centre stand at the side of the roundabout. When I assured them I did not need to got to hospital they went on their way.

Apostolos, I take your point but I with the uncertainties that come in a crash along with variables you have no control over, a little extra height seems a worthy price to pay for peace of mind.

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #299
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona

Apostolos, I take your point but I with the uncertainties that come in a crash along with variables you have no control over, a little extra height seems a worthy price to pay for peace of mind.
Indeed!

Peace of mind is subjective and people should get what they feel comfortable with.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #300
lilmonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Just picked up my 2010 F650GS. I ordered up a set of Motech crashbars from Twisted Throttle and was advised to make sure I get the proper bolt torque values before putting them on...

Does anyone have that info...I've been poking around but haven't been able to find it yet.

After the transalp, looks like I'll be investing in a full set of torx bolts this week.

I've also seen lots of mention of threadlocker...should I use Red or Blue?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting some protection on this thing ASAP.
lilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote