Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #301
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonkey
Just picked up my 2010 F650GS. I ordered up a set of Motech crashbars from Twisted Throttle and was advised to make sure I get the proper bolt torque values before putting them on...

Does anyone have that info...I've been poking around but haven't been able to find it yet.

After the transalp, looks like I'll be investing in a full set of torx bolts this week.

I've also seen lots of mention of threadlocker...should I use Red or Blue?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting some protection on this thing ASAP.
Sorry I can't help you with the torque specs but I wanted to congratulate you on your choice of SW-Motech bars! Mine have served me very well on many falls but they came with my bike (used) so I did not install them myself.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:49 AM   #302
fly-n-brian
low and slow

Oddometer: 6
SW-MOTECH Crash bars

Just picked up mine on Friday, the directions say for the M8, 23 Nm and the M10, 46 Nm. They also recommend the medium strength liquid thread-locker (LOCKTITE) blue...... on all screws, bolts and nuts..... And one important piece of info on the instructions is not to remove both upper engine bolts at the same time, attach one crash bar side at a time.

Brian
fly-n-brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #303
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
I just put the SW-Motech bars on my F8 yesterday and used blue Locktite and the torque settings listed in the instructions. Went on without a hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-n-brian
Just picked up mine on Friday, the directions say for the M8, 23 Nm and the M10, 46 Nm. They also recommend the medium strength liquid thread-locker (LOCKTITE) blue...... on all screws, bolts and nuts..... And one important piece of info on the instructions is not to remove both upper engine bolts at the same time, attach one crash bar side at a time.

Brian
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #304
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
We've got Adventure-Spec bars and bash plates coming our way for both bikes. Question about the Adventure-Spec bash plate: Will a 3.5 inch oil filter fit behind it? I'm using Mobile 1 M1-102 filters, and it looks like its going to be a tight fit, but not sure yet. Anyone using the over-sized filters behind the Adv-spec plate?

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #305
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Welcome Corona!

That far out of alignment from one spill? Ouch! It took me dropping mine at least 5 maybe 10 times to get them bent out that far!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #306
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor
We've got Adventure-Spec bars and bash plates coming our way for both bikes. Question about the Adventure-Spec bash plate: Will a 3.5 inch oil filter fit behind it? I'm using Mobile 1 M1-102 filters, and it looks like its going to be a tight fit, but not sure yet. Anyone using the over-sized filters behind the Adv-spec plate?
If it's close, you can bang out the bash plate with a hammer from the inside to make room. That's what I did to get my bash plate to fit around the twalcom header.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #307
CodgerK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
In praise of GIVI crash bars.

I am presently doing the great divide trail. So far I have dropped this bike at least a dozen times. No exaggeration. So far the bike has suffered one busted front turn signal lens. No other damage that I can see.... though the bike is covered in mud right now. These bars work. They are also a good pivot point if you have to turn the bike to get wheels down hill for the pickup. I am a solo rider and I usually have to rotate the bike laying down. The bars are still straight and tight. They are also the lightest of the designs available, having less metal. Mine were about $150. I am a very satisfied customer.
CodgerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #308
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Question

Ok, I'm looking at the Givi bars, but I have a BMW skid plate. Anybody know if these will fit together? Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't find it in my search...
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #309
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictrolis
Ok, I'm looking at the Givi bars, but I have a BMW skid plate. Anybody know if these will fit together? Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't find it in my search...
Yes, I have the Givi bars and the BMW plate. Works fine.

But after my last drop in Death Valley, my Givi bars got bent far to the left. I suppose that's the way they are supposed to function, sacrificing themselves instead of the engine case. I could try to bend them back, but I figure that they'll no longer be as strong. So I've ordered the Holan Pro as a replacement. I like their looks better. We'll see if they're as protective as the Givis were.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #310
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
Disclaimer: I don't work for these guys. They are local and I ride past their shop every morning so I stopped in to check out their products. These are well worth checking out if you're still shopping for bars.
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-cra...-gs/pcid/457-3

I have the Holan pro bars on my F8 now but thought I would share my impression of a newcomer's product. These things are solid, solid, solid!

While aesthetically I don't like them as much as my Holans, I think they are a functionally better product.
1. They are made of bigger diameter, powder coated stainless steel.
2. They mount straight to the bike instead of on a stack of spacers and brackets.
3. The way the two halves join is neater and probably stronger.

They also have a skid plate in the final prototype stages that is pretty impressive. The only thing about the plate is that the prototype I saw didn't extend back far enough to cover the cat. I mentioned that to them but I don't know if they will change that.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #311
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Welcome Corona!

That far out of alignment from one spill? Ouch! It took me dropping mine at least 5 maybe 10 times to get them bent out that far!
Maybe it was a worse crash than I thought I was only doing ~ 25mph at the time ...

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #312
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
SW-Motech bars

Got mine today and put them on. Seem to be pretty substantial. Anyone using foot pegs on their crash bars??
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #313
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Got Holans?

Figured this is a good place to ask... Anyone want to trade a set of like-new black Holan Pro crash bars for similar condition Hepco & Becker ones? Or make me an offer to buy the Holans.

My motivation is purely aesthetic. Just don't like the look of Holans on my F650.

update 08-18-2010: Holans are sold

replicant screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 10:40 AM
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #314
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Black rubber plugs

Anybody got those little black rubber plugs that came out of the holes the new crash bar bolts go into at the top of the engine? I need to for a little project I want to try in covering up those shiny bolt heads. Mine got lost in the clean up and I didn't notice till the trash was gone.
That is unless someone has a better solution.
Thanks
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #315
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
If it's close, you can bang out the bash plate with a hammer from the inside to make room. That's what I did to get my bash plate to fit around the twalcom header.
Decided to switch from the M102 to the KN164 filter. The plate was just too close.....

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote