Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #361
NomadS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
functional and good looking? David

hmmm would that be Funking? or Fooking?..
or maybe Farping for functional and sharp

can you tell I don't like the term Farkel?
NomadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #362
FrozenViking
Thawing

Oddometer: 83
Eek Crashbars and bashplate

Hey fellow inmates,

I want to pull the trigger on a bashplate and some crash bars. I kind of wish there was only one set to chose from, because after reading countless threads, I'm closer but, not a Hell of a lot closer than I was before. I've got an F800GS, I'm 6' (184cm) tall and it would be good if my knees didn't touch the crashguards when seated.

I have narrowed my search to:

Bashplate
The original BMW (US$467) - This price is from the dealer in town
MOD GS V2 Skid plate (US$275)

Crash bars
AltRider (US$297)
Holan (US$268)
SW-Motech (US$238)
Touratech (US$445) - Price in Norway

All these prices will change (Except for the BMW bash plate and TT crash bars), because I need to add shipping to Norway and 25% VAT when they enter the country. The advantage of buying in Europe means that I can subtract whatever VAT they have in the country I'm ordering from, before I have to add Norwegian VAT.

In terms of bash plates ... Are there other strong alternatives, that covers everything, like the BMW and MOD plates do?

When it comes to crashbars, the AltRiders will end up being quite a lot more expensive than the other two, because I can order them in Europe. Are the AltRiders worth paying an extra $80-100 premium in addition to them already being more expensive? Are there other bars I should shortlist?

I'd appreciate any input.
FrozenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #363
FrozenViking
Thawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenViking View Post
Crash bars
AltRider (US$297)
Holan (US$268)
SW-Motech (US$238)
Touratech (US$445) - Price in Norway
Well, a small update on prices. I've checked the actual price to my doorstep and the results are ... expensive:

AltRider crashbars: US$612
Holan Pro crashbars: US$351
SW-Motech crashbars: US$312
Touratech crashbars (upper and lower): US$542

AltRider are working on a European distributor, so hopefully they will work that out soon (according to them it should happen within days), because there is a monumental difference in price between those that have European distributors and those that don't.

Even getting the MOD bashplate will be expensive ... and considering that they're not answering emails or PM's, I think it's time to take my business elsewhere. This probably means getting the BMW bashplate, unless someone can recommend a bash plate that has the same coverage as the MOD and BMW.

Judging from the prices on crashbars, the Holan's or SW-Motech's seem to be the way to go for me. As an added bonus, there's a Norwegian dealer for the SW-Motech's, so I'll have someone here to talk to in case questions should arise.

So unless someone has any bright insights ... It looks like I'll get the SW-Motech crash bars and the original BMW bash plate.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #364
NomadS
Adventurer

Have you tried f800depot.com? If you join f800riders.org first ( $12) you get free shipping too.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #365
FrozenViking
Thawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadS View Post
Have you tried f800depot.com? If you join f800riders.org first ( $12) you get free shipping too.
Thanks. I doubt they ship for free to Europe, but I've fired them an email, to see what options they give me.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #366
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Well, a small update on prices. I've checked the actual price to my doorstep and the results are ... expensive:

AltRider crashbars: US$612
Holan Pro crashbars: US$351
SW-Motech crashbars: US$312
Touratech crashbars (upper and lower): US$542

AltRider are working on a European distributor, so hopefully they will work that out soon (according to them it should happen within days), because there is a monumental difference in price between those that have European distributors and those that don't.

Even getting the MOD bashplate will be expensive ... and considering that they're not answering emails or PM's, I think it's time to take my business elsewhere. This probably means getting the BMW bashplate, unless someone can recommend a bash plate that has the same coverage as the MOD and BMW.

Judging from the prices on crashbars, the Holan's or SW-Motech's seem to be the way to go for me. As an added bonus, there's a Norwegian dealer for the SW-Motech's, so I'll have someone here to talk to in case questions should arise.

So unless someone has any bright insights ... It looks like I'll get the SW-Motech crash bars and the original BMW bash plate.
My wife and I both have Sw motech and MOD. sorry to hear you are having problems with them, their customer service was awesome. The MOD bashplate looks alot heavier than the BMW one, plus it is cheaper. That I do like about the BMW one is that lip it has on top to keep dirt out. I have nicknamed the MOD the "Shovel". Both crashbars on both bikes have taken getoffs and both have preformed flawlessly. I'm 5'11" And my knees are nowhere close. 34" Inseam.

Hope that helps

Ryan
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #367
FrozenViking
Thawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
My wife and I both have Sw motech and MOD. sorry to hear you are having problems with them, their customer service was awesome.
It's good to hear that both you and your wife are happy with the SW-Motech and MOD set-up. I was thinking about getting the same, but will now with all probability opt for the Motech crash bars and the BMW bash plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
The MOD bashplate looks alot heavier than the BMW one, plus it is cheaper. That I do like about the BMW one is that lip it has on top to keep dirt out. I have nicknamed the MOD the "Shovel".
I liked the MOD bashplate from reviews and pictures, but when they don't respond to email and PM, it makes purchasing difficult. If there were other bash plates that were of the MOD standard I would buy that. The only one close is the AltRider, but as it doesn't cover the cat, and since I want one that offers full coverage, then it's basically only the MOD and BMW I have to chose from ... At least as far as my research has taken me, but I'm getting off-topic with the bash plate here and will rein in and focus on crash bars.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #368
NomadS
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. I doubt they ship for free to Europe, but I've fired them an email, to see what options they give me.

here is the link to the info on shipping http://f800riders.org/index.php?pageid=support .
The particulars:
The shipping method for your order on F800Depot.com will be standard/ground, and oversized items (such as panniers) are excluded. Maximum shipping credit for international orders is 10% of product total. A link in the NavBar (replacing Support Our Site!) will have instructions on how to get your free shipping coupon.

Might not be all free but should help significantly. At least enough to just the $12 supporter fee on F800riders.org. I also suppose that oversize could be an issue overseas but wasn't when I ordered here in the States.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #369
FrozenViking
Thawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadS View Post
here is the link to the info on shipping http://f800riders.org/index.php?pageid=support .
The particulars:
The shipping method for your order on F800Depot.com will be standard/ground, and oversized items (such as panniers) are excluded. Maximum shipping credit for international orders is 10% of product total. A link in the NavBar (replacing Support Our Site!) will have instructions on how to get your free shipping coupon.

Might not be all free but should help significantly. At least enough to just the $12 supporter fee on F800riders.org. I also suppose that oversize could be an issue overseas but wasn't when I ordered here in the States.
Thanks for that info. That's awesome. I will definitely be using them for some kit in the future.

I did however just pull the trigger on a set of SW-Moto's, because the Norwegian dealer gave them to me at a great price (US$298). That's basically a lot cheaper than I'd be able to get something from the US, even without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. What kills when you buy stuff from the US is the 25% sales tax that Norwegian customs slaps on anything you import ...

Oh, and Dave at Motooverland also got back to me with a very comprehensive email ... working on the details ... I might still go for an MOD bash plate
Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #370
NomadS
Adventurer

Quote:

I did however just pull the trigger on a set of SW-Moto's, because the Norwegian dealer gave them to me at a great price (US$298). That's basically a lot cheaper than I'd be able to get something from the US, even without paying an arm and a leg for shipping.

you sure? F800Depot.com has them for $194.99 US .. even with 25% VAT that should be cheaper than what they quoted you. Local is good though since it will be easier to deal with any problems.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #371
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:

I did however just pull the trigger on a set of SW-Moto's ... I might still go for an MOD bash plate
Good call, you really can't go wrong with that combo!

My SW-Motos have saved my bike big time, and with the exception of a 25mph low-side in a deep gravel hairpin this weekend, they've survived pretty much unscathed. Now the left side is bent in about 3/4", but it did its job and saved the bike!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #372
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
It's good to hear that both you and your wife are happy with the SW-Motech and MOD set-up. I was thinking about getting the same, but will now with all probability opt for the Motech crash bars and the BMW bash plate.

I liked the MOD bashplate from reviews and pictures, but when they don't respond to email and PM, it makes purchasing difficult. If there were other bash plates that were of the MOD standard I would buy that. The only one close is the AltRider, but as it doesn't cover the cat, and since I want one that offers full coverage, then it's basically only the MOD and BMW I have to chose from ... At least as far as my research has taken me, but I'm getting off-topic with the bash plate here and will rein in and focus on crash bars.
Hey Andreas,

OUCH! Sorry about the delay in getting back to you! I received your email on Friday and I wrote back to you on Sunday...Saturday I was out crashing (testing?) my F800 into some rocks. The SW bars did OK and bang for the buck I think they work well. I didn't get a PM from you by the way??

Really happy to hear everyone is happy with the MOD skid plates!
Now we're just trying to keep up.

Regards,

Dave

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 01:33 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #373
FrozenViking
Thawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
OUCH! Sorry about the delay in getting back to you! I received your email on Friday and I wrote back to you on Sunday...Saturday I was out crashing (testing?) my F800 into some rocks. The SW bars did OK and bang for the buck I think they work well. I didn't get a PM from you by the way??
Hey Dave,
All is good. Your lengthy email was very appreciated. I'm still hoping we can work out getting one of your skid plates to Norway. Glad to hear that you give the SW bars thumbs up as well, seeing that I just bought them
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #374
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I have the Adventure Spec engine / crash guards... Has anyone devised a set of "forward pegs" on them?

I REALLY need an alternate forward resting place for my feet... I HATE calling them "highway" pegs, because that sounds HD-like :)

Any pics or hardware suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #375
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Oddometer: 499
looking at either the givi or sw motech guards. i have the bmw skid plate and want to make sure there are no mounting issues before i order something. anybody care to share their thoughts? thanks,

jason
strongmendieyoung is offline   Reply With Quote