Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #391
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmendieyoung View Post
looking at either the givi or sw motech guards. i have the bmw skid plate and want to make sure there are no mounting issues before i order something. anybody care to share their thoughts? thanks,

jason
I know it is an old question but i do now have the GIVI CB installed with the aluminium BMW skid plate. Ni issue at all.
This may help other lurkers.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #392
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmendieyoung View Post
looking at either the givi or sw motech guards. i have the bmw skid plate and want to make sure there are no mounting issues before i order something. anybody care to share their thoughts? thanks,

jason
No problem with the Gvi guard but you can't fix the sw Motech guard with the bmw skid plate. need to buy the (expensive) SW motech skid plate

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #393
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
TT bars, I expect that they will not withstand a crash and bend. At least TT said they are designed to bend (the smaller tubes on top)

I'll let you know as soon as the snow is gone ...

Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #394
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
thought you got the nice full Al front chain guide?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #395
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
No problem with the Gvi guard but you can't fix the sw Motech guard with the bmw skid plate. need to buy the (expensive) SW motech skid plate
The SW Motech bar works fine with the BMW aluminum plate! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #396
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
thought you got the nice full Al front chain guide?
not installed yet, we had minus 15 degrees Celsius ( thats approx. 5F) the last few days and its snowing/drizzling at the moment. And my garage isnt heated *brrrrr*
But soon it will be on th ebike as well as my new navi holder (TT-mvg), navi, panniers

EDIT: Installed it today (18/02/2012), what a fookin nice peace of aluminum, love it....

Steveman screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 11:15 AM Reason: read the edit
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #397
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
TT Bars on mine

I've got the TT bars and upper extension. The main reason I went for the TT design is because they attach to the frame and not to the engine. Last thing I want is to expose the engine case to shocks, crossthreading, or breaking the tapped hole.
El Pacifico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #398
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pacifico View Post
I've got the TT bars and upper extension. The main reason I went for the TT design is because they attach to the frame and not to the engine. Last thing I want is to expose the engine case to shocks, crossthreading, or breaking the tapped hole.
Thats exactly why I bought them. I have to admit that till today I havent seen that when using a different set of bars a bolt has been ripped out of the engine case.... But I have heared about one incident with the SW motech bars, unfortunately I havent seen it and so I dont have any pics.....
Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #399
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Thats exactly why I bought them. I have to admit that till today I havent seen that when using a different set of bars a bolt has been ripped out of the engine case.... But I have heared about one incident with the SW motech bars, unfortunately I havent seen it and so I dont have any pics.....
I have the TT bars and they are designed to slightly move via the rear bolt, the top bar usually sits about 20mm +/- from the plastics and the bar was about 5mm away after a recent fall, one hard yank and it went back into place. The lower bars seem to take the majority of the impact ( they didn't move and sustained minor scrapes)and the top part absorbs the rest protecting the plastics. Other then the elaborate install I am very happy with mine
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #400
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
I have the TT bars and they are designed to slightly move via the rear bolt, the top bar usually sits about 20mm +/- from the plastics and the bar was about 5mm away after a recent fall, one hard yank and it went back into place. The lower bars seem to take the majority of the impact ( they didn't move and sustained minor scrapes)and the top part absorbs the rest protecting the plastics. Other then the elaborate install I am very happy with mine
yup, seems your bars worked exactly as they should. Makes me confident
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #401
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Quote:
That is the kind of feedback I wanted to hear, thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #402
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pacifico View Post
That is the kind of feedback I wanted to hear, thanks!
Glad to help! If you get them watch the install video on their site, I had the video handy so I could follow steps it was much easier then the directions. The main trick on the right side is loosen BOTH rear exhaust bolts so you can squeeze the bars in place
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #403
El Pacifico
Adventurer

Quote:
Glad to help! If you get them watch the install video on their site, I had the video handy so I could follow steps it was much easier then the directions. The main trick on the right side is loosen BOTH rear exhaust bolts so you can squeeze the bars in place
Installed them last fall. I was doing exactly that! Watching the video at the same time!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #404
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 763
Installed the Hepco-Becker bars today. I was looking hard at the SW Motech but I snagged these for only $100 instead.
I like the look and the price was right. Certainly better than nothing.

beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #405
EmanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I don't own a GS but rather an R. Do you guys think that what's true of the GS models will hold true for other models by the same manufacturers?
EmanP is offline   Reply With Quote