Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #91
paulms
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So I just attempted to install the adventure spec bars on my F800GS and found that the holes in the right bar are not aligned with the three attach points on the bike. After struggling some time to thread the lower two bolts into the engine and thinking I was incompetent I finally pulled the bar off all together and threaded the bolts onto the frame with the bar off. I then aligned the bar with the installed bolts and found that they are notably off alignment and hence why I couldn’t install the bar.

Like others who have noted in this an other threads the bars don’t come boxed from the UK… they’re just wrapped in tape, paper, plumbing insulation and plastic… however I can’t imagine and it doesn’t look possible that the bars were bent to this extent during shipping to cause this? They have some cosmetic damage but nothing that looks like it resulted in a bent bar.

I haven’t seen anyone else complain about having this kind of issue but am wondering if there is someone else out there experiencing this kind of issue now? I was shocked at how fast they processed the order… something like just over a week from the time I placed the order until the time they were at my door (even in the midst of our Seattle snowstorm with limited deliveries?)… so am wondering if a bulk manufacturing process my be an issue?

Any insight or comments?
paulms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #92
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,868
Hmmmm.

My bars lined up perfectly.

Go to the thread in vendors and see if anyone has had this problem.

I would also send Chris a pm or email him.

He's pretty good about getting back and I'm sure he'll help you.

Good luck, keep us posted.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #93
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Novaho -

You convinced me. I ordered the SW Motech bars this morning.
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #94
paulms
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I sent a general e-mail into adventure spec and Chris replied within the hour wanting to find a way to make it right and get to the bottom of the issue... that's good service.

I made a second attempt this evening to install the bars but thought I'd sequence it differently to see if I could work around the misalignment. First off the left bar was a perfect fit and did make me realize that something was amiss on the right. But on the right I decided to install the lower mounting 'plate' that takes two bolts first and then see if I could make the alignment of the upper single bolt work. This is the opposite sequence recommended however since the single bar that spans from the lower plate to the upper 'c' shaped bar is somewhat flexible (when not secured at the top) I was able to muscle the alignment into place and thread the upper bolt into place. Not pretty but it did work and without stripping any bolts.

This makes me think that it was something that happened in shipping since I was able to make it work with a little elbow grease. Even though there was only cosmetic damage on the bars the paper and plastic wrapped package was a mess when it arrived and I thought I would open it to find bent and battered bars.

All in all in the end the bar configuration is still my preferred solution so I'm happy with the ending although not perfect... and I have to add again that Chris was very responsive and looking for the best possible resolution out of gate.
paulms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #95
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
SW Motech with highway pegs

Installed my SW Motech engine guards/crash bars this weekend. The bar across the front attaches to the engine at two places; had to adjust it to get it to fit. The rest of the installation went smoothly.

When I figured out that the bars had mounting plates for highway pegs I decided it was time. On several tours on my KLR and my 950 I've thought it would be nice to have them. Twisted Throttle had some that were all black; the only ones I've found that weren't chrome or cheap looking. Here's a photo.

I'm thinking of making some brackets that will bolt on where the guard bolts together for mounting driving lights. It would put the lights inside the guard and protect them in case of a tipover. Concerned that they may be too low or blocked too much by the front wheel. Commemts?
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #96
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelouv
I can't believe I have something on my 800 Jesse doesn't. Ya never heard the story of the gremlin bell? Supposed to ward off all those pesky road gremlins who can't stand the sound of the bell. It's also usually a personal gift from one biker to another. That one was.
i've only seen that type of butt-chrome mods on cruisers.
seems most cruiser riders buy into that and they need it the least because they're all slow ploders.

guess the reverse corolary to them needed it, is every bit helps because those bikes handle like shit anyway.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #97
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
i've only seen that type of butt-chrome mods on cruisers.
seems most cruiser riders buy into that and they need it the least because they're all slow ploders.

guess the reverse corolary to them needed it, is every bit helps because those bikes handle like shit anyway.
Many a squid has been humbled by my Harley. They may not be a rossi replica, but they don't do half bad if you know how to ride em.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #98
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Since most bolts torque spec isn't mentioned in the Rider's Manual, how do you know what to torque the crash bar bolts to? The paperwork for the crash bar has torque specs for M8 and M10 bolts, but I notice in the Rider's Manual that different bolts of the same size have different torque specs. And what about other farkles one would bolt on such as a skid plate or luggage rack?

Yeah, I'm overly paranoid and don't want to strip the threads on the new bike, what can I say? In the old days it wasn't much of a worry on cars or even bikes but with so much aluminum now, one needs to be careful.

I quoted the torque specs from the service manual earlier in this thread somewhere.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #99
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil

A couple of shots of the Holans.
What are your thoughts on the Holans so far? Do you like them? Do they fully protect the plastics?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #100
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulms
I sent a general e-mail into adventure spec and Chris replied within the hour wanting to find a way to make it right and get to the bottom of the issue... that's good service.

I made a second attempt this evening to install the bars but thought I'd sequence it differently to see if I could work around the misalignment. First off the left bar was a perfect fit and did make me realize that something was amiss on the right. But on the right I decided to install the lower mounting 'plate' that takes two bolts first and then see if I could make the alignment of the upper single bolt work. This is the opposite sequence recommended however since the single bar that spans from the lower plate to the upper 'c' shaped bar is somewhat flexible (when not secured at the top) I was able to muscle the alignment into place and thread the upper bolt into place. Not pretty but it did work and without stripping any bolts.

This makes me think that it was something that happened in shipping since I was able to make it work with a little elbow grease. Even though there was only cosmetic damage on the bars the paper and plastic wrapped package was a mess when it arrived and I thought I would open it to find bent and battered bars.

All in all in the end the bar configuration is still my preferred solution so I'm happy with the ending although not perfect... and I have to add again that Chris was very responsive and looking for the best possible resolution out of gate.
I just put on the adventure-spec crash bars and bash plate onto my bike tonight. Perfect fit. the quality of the bars and plate are top notch. ZERO alignment issues. As a side note...I also installed the Rox bar risers. They moved my bars up 1" and back 1". All of the cables made the new length...the only issue was the plastic "lip guard" that goes around the ignition had to be removed. This helps my riding position greatly.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #101
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I tried the SW Motech bars - they didn't fit - see the cross piece misalignment below. I got zero satisfaction from the dealer or SW Motech regarding a replacement so got my money back and spent it on Adventure spec bars - much better IMHO and a perfect fit. Their quality is head and shouders above the SW Motech bars as are the fasteners that come with them. SW Motech fasteners seem to be made from cheese. The button headed bolts deformed very easily and I had to grind one off in orer to remove it as the allen key hole had become circular whilst tightening to the correct torque.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #102
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Chrisjk, I think you have exagerated as to how hard the SW-Motech bolt heads are!!
I have eaten harder cheese!! Absolute rubbish bolts.
I am in the process of replacing them with quality stainless steel bolts!!
My SW-M bars fitted up very nicely and I am impressed with the quality. maybe you got a bad pair?
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #103
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Chrisjk, I think you have exagerated as to how hard the SW-Motech bolt heads are!!
I have eaten harder cheese!! Absolute rubbish bolts.
I am in the process of replacing them with quality stainless steel bolts!!
My SW-M bars fitted up very nicely and I am impressed with the quality. maybe you got a bad pair?
I had a little difficulty getting the right side (as viewed from the front of the bike) down tube bolt lined up. It was REALLY close, so I just pulled on it while manually threading the bolt.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #104
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
If I hadn't been able to get my money back, I would have cut and re-welded the downcomer to align properly. As it was, I didn't wish simply to force it as I felt that would put unnecessary stress on the engine block. To my mind the fault was probably in a poorly made/adjusted assembly jig at SW Motech but they never even acknowledged there was a problem.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #105
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk
To my mind the fault was probably in a poorly made/adjusted assembly jig at SW Motech but they never even acknowledged there was a problem.
Thats really quite sad isn't it? Customer support says that they should at least give you the benefit of the doubt and sent you another set of bars with a big friggin envelope and postage paid to return the faulty ones!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote