Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #106
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulms
I sent a general e-mail into adventure spec and Chris replied within the hour wanting to find a way to make it right and get to the bottom of the issue... that's good service.

I made a second attempt this evening to install the bars but thought I'd sequence it differently to see if I could work around the misalignment. First off the left bar was a perfect fit and did make me realize that something was amiss on the right. But on the right I decided to install the lower mounting 'plate' that takes two bolts first and then see if I could make the alignment of the upper single bolt work. This is the opposite sequence recommended however since the single bar that spans from the lower plate to the upper 'c' shaped bar is somewhat flexible (when not secured at the top) I was able to muscle the alignment into place and thread the upper bolt into place. Not pretty but it did work and without stripping any bolts.

This makes me think that it was something that happened in shipping since I was able to make it work with a little elbow grease. Even though there was only cosmetic damage on the bars the paper and plastic wrapped package was a mess when it arrived and I thought I would open it to find bent and battered bars.

All in all in the end the bar configuration is still my preferred solution so I'm happy with the ending although not perfect... and I have to add again that Chris was very responsive and looking for the best possible resolution out of gate.
I got my bars as well with the same batch as yours (recieved on the 28th too) and mine fit with no problems what so ever. Perfect alignement with all the bolts so it sounds like yours for sure got bent in transport. Also my plastic and paper where completely in tact when arrived with no scratches. It would take a lot of force to bend these bars.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #107
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk
I tried the SW Motech bars - they didn't fit - see the cross piece misalignment below. I got zero satisfaction from the dealer or SW Motech regarding a replacement so got my money back and spent it on Adventure spec bars - much better IMHO and a perfect fit. Their quality is head and shouders above the SW Motech bars as are the fasteners that come with them. SW Motech fasteners seem to be made from cheese. The button headed bolts deformed very easily and I had to grind one off in orer to remove it as the allen key hole had become circular whilst tightening to the correct torque.

Mine were out of alignment the same as this. I clamped it in a vise and did some tweeking. In hindsight I should have sent them back, or filed the holes to an oval. The rest of the set bolted up with no problems. The welding jig must have been out for some of the bars (or perhaps they have two molds for the engine case and they are different.).
No button head screws/bolts in my hardware set, no complaints there.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #108
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Okay, finally bit the bullet and decided on the Touratech bars for my 650....

went to install them and low and behold after all of the parts on the bike that had to be taken off, the right side bar mount at the bottom wouldn't squeeze between the pipes and the pedal frame mount like they said it was supposed to in the instructions (which is a bad photocopy). I had to loosen where the cat converter connects to the bike so that I could push the pipes enough out of the way to force the bar in place (insanely difficult). It's there but now scratched from forcing it in (although mostly covered after all of the parts are back on - brake pedal, foot peg, etc.).

Then when I went to install the left side, I can't do it without a jack or a centre stand because the side stand needs to be retracted to install the damn thing. GEEZ!!! So i'm debating on whether to buy the centre stand or a bike jack. think it will be the bike jack.

Still tons of snow on the ground so no rush... when it's all done I'll post pics.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 AM   #109
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Okay, finally bit the bullet and decided on the Touratech bars for my 650....

went to install them and low and behold after all of the parts on the bike that had to be taken off, the right side bar mount at the bottom wouldn't squeeze between the pipes and the pedal frame mount like they said it was supposed to in the instructions (which is a bad photocopy). I had to loosen where the cat converter connects to the bike so that I could push the pipes enough out of the way to force the bar in place (insanely difficult). It's there but now scratched from forcing it in (although mostly covered after all of the parts are back on - brake pedal, foot peg, etc.).

Then when I went to install the left side, I can't do it without a jack or a centre stand because the side stand needs to be retracted to install the damn thing. GEEZ!!! So i'm debating on whether to buy the centre stand or a bike jack. think it will be the bike jack.

Still tons of snow on the ground so no rush... when it's all done I'll post pics.
Buy the centre stand, you cant carry you bike jack around with you!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #110
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer

bought the centre stand. and finally got the Touratech bars on. they look great but will probably get the extensions for them that will cover the lower part of the fairing. a very nice combo.

will get pics posted as soon as i can figure out how to get them on... i'm getting a message saying i've already uploaded my limit without even choosing the photo. any suggestions anyone????

Mark
Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #111
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
bought the centre stand. and finally got the Touratech bars on. they look great but will probably get the extensions for them that will cover the lower part of the fairing. a very nice combo.

will get pics posted as soon as i can figure out how to get them on... i'm getting a message saying i've already uploaded my limit without even choosing the photo. any suggestions anyone????

Mark
Are you using Photobucket? I have not had any upload issues since I started using it.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #112
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Just put on the Holan engine bars on my new F8GS, they look great, actually look OEM. I have to admit though that they were a little hard to fit but once I had the sequence down they went on easy enough.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #113
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Are you using Photobucket? I have not had any upload issues since I started using it.
i'm on a Mac.

I click on the button below that says 'add attachments' and i get a pop up window. and I automatically get the message 'you have uploaded the maximum of 1 files'.

no maka sensa - must be run by George Bush
Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #114
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
i'm on a Mac.

I click on the button below that says 'add attachments' and i get a pop up window. and I automatically get the message 'you have uploaded the maximum of 1 files'.

no maka sensa - must be run by George Bush
Makes no difference which OS you're using. You gotta host the photos somewhere else, i.e., Photobucket, Flikker, Picasa, or your own web space, and then link to them. You can't "upload" photos to this forum. They have to squat elsewhere.

Check out Option 2 here.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #115
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Makes no difference which OS you're using. You gotta host the photos somewhere else, i.e., Photobucket, Flikker, Picasa, or your own web space, and then link to them. You can't "upload" photos to this forum. They have to squat elsewhere.

Check out Option 2 here.

David
YAY!!!!!! opened up a Photobucket account and it worked!!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #116
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #117
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Cool2

Quote:
Well let's see those bars on the bike then, shall we? Trying to decide myself which ones to put on my 650... (although I like to call it a 798)
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #118
Bullettwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Me too!

I'm also trying to pick an appropriate "crash bar" set for my F650 GS twin. I was thinking about the SW Motech, but really like the looks of the Holans on the 800's. The pictures I've seen of these bars on the 650, though don't seem to look quite right.

BTW, cute picture markymcd!
Bullettwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #119
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettwo
I'm also trying to pick an appropriate "crash bar" set for my F650 GS twin. I was thinking about the SW Motech, but really like the looks of the Holans on the 800's. The pictures I've seen of these bars on the 650, though don't seem to look quite right.

BTW, cute picture markymcd!
I ended up with the Hepco Beckers for my F650GS Twin. As a reseller for HB, Givi, and SW-Motech, and having seen sets from Touratech and Adventure-Spec, I thought the HB's were the best looking while providing more than adequate protection for the plastics.

I did install them before I started to importer Holan however. I've yet to pop a Holan set on an F650GS Twin. :(

Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #120
markymcd OP
Studly Adventurer

Heading to Seattle on the weekend so I'll have the bike out and will shoot it and post the pics.Oh,thanks for the compliment on the pic. It was taken in Tofino