ThorBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #167
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Thank goodnes for alodine.....
Yep. Most of the aluminum on spacecraft is Alodined, primered, or anodized. Some of it is left bare though...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #168
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorBob
Trust me, aerospace alloys (aluminum included) corrode just fine. If they didn't, I'd be out of a job...

Thor
Aluminum is very corrosion resistant. More than most metals, and that is why they choose it to build planes. Also has a very good strength to weight ration on it's side. Ya can't argue that!
Read the white paper I posted above. It all depends heavily on the alloy used and it's treatment of course. The type of alloys used for motorcycle exhausts are the types that don't really corrode. Typically 6000 or 7000 series alloys are used.

Check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

The Griz screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 07:26 AM Reason: So LukasM, once again, feels better.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #169
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
OK, OK, OK! Sheesh guys, I feel kinda bad for making that offhand comment that started all this. I just meant to say I really like my titanium muffler. I don't think anybody is going to witness their muffler corrode in their bikes lifetime. I thought it was cool that the ti doesn't need to be anodized or protected from UV, it just sits there all naturally. And lightly. And by the way...it fits beautifully behind the Jesse bags without leaving an obvious void and sounds delightful. But DAMN it's nice to know that there are so many cool people on this forum with such a wide variety of expertise.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #170
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
OK, OK, OK! Sheesh guys, I feel kinda bad for making that offhand comment that started all this. I just meant to say I really like my titanium muffler. I don't think anybody is going to witness their muffler corrode in their bikes lifetime. I thought it was cool that the ti doesn't need to be anodized or protected from UV, it just sits there all naturally. And lightly. And by the way...it fits beautifully behind the Jesse bags without leaving an obvious void and sounds delightful. But DAMN it's nice to know that there are so many cool people on this forum with such a wide variety of expertise.
... I can`t count the times I`ve made a comment that set the world......ehhh... well...at least the forum on fire. I`m sure your TI can will give you many years of great usage.....And you have the lightest one out there.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #171
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Both aluminum and carbon fiber don't "corrode". I don't quite know what you're talking about.
Quote:
True, they corrode. Just not at the rate I think some people are insinuating in this thread. Aluminum is very corrosion resistant.
Classic, Griz, classic. At least you didn't edit any of your posts. Oh wait.....

Erling,

Is that the carbon fiberized DR-Z I read about on Thumpertalk a while ago? I remember that there was a good write-up on making your own composite parts.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #172
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Classic, Griz, classic. At least you didn't edit any of your posts. Oh wait.....

Erling,

Is that the carbon fiberized DR-Z I read about on Thumpertalk a while ago? I remember that there was a good write-up on making your own composite parts.
Do you realize how antagonistic you are, Lukas? Try following forum rules more maybe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORUM RULES
What doesn't fly here?

No personal attacks.

We want to keep all of our interactions CIVIL.

Don’t disrupt a thread with personal attacks. If you’ve got a beef with the author, discuss it using Private Messaging, or if you must, post it in Jo Momma. We promise you’ll get an impartial reception by 40 thousand very articulate inmates there.
Also, even though you don't approve of my posts, others understand what I mean just fine. Sorry I don't think ten posts ahead and ten posts behind. I guess I'm just not a perfect forum user like you are.

The Griz screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 10:21 AM Reason: Switched "antagonizing" to "antagonistic" so hopefully my post meets Lukas' standards of perfection.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #173
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM

Erling,

Yeppers.....Lukas...... I have a string of threads in TT with this bike. My goal is to educate people as of how to make this...... It is soooo expensive to buy, because of the labor involved....... But the materials are very affordable. The only two parts on the 8GS are the two lower brackets holding the Ztechnik screen in place...... That is about to change. I think first up are......Hand guards......then....CF hard cases..... shaped and contoured...... I will post it here as I go along......

Erling
Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #174
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
OK, OK, OK! Sheesh guys, I feel kinda bad for making that offhand comment that started all this. I just meant to say I really like my titanium muffler.
Welcome to my ADVRider.com world. I feel for ya. Some people read a whole thread of a guy's posts back and forward and if there's any inconsistencies, they flame ya for it just for kicks! Even though they know damn well what you're getting at!

Sorry if I did that to you. I don't want to be that kinda guy. Titanium, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum. All good materials.

The Griz screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 05:21 PM
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #175
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Do you realize how antagonistic you are, Lukas? Try following forum rules more maybe:

Also, even though you don't approve of my posts, others understand what I mean just fine. Sorry I don't think ten posts ahead and ten posts behind. I guess I'm just not a perfect forum user like you are.

Griz,

Do you even realize how ironic it is that you consider it a personal attack that I am quoting two of your posts and calling them classic? Get some thicker skin dude.

I simply started reading this thread, came across your BS statement and then saw you change your opinion like you had been saying something else all along. Seem to happen a lot.

@ Back on topic:

The main problem I see with carbon fiber is that the clear resin gets a yellow-ish tint after a few years of being exposed to sunlight. Even though the manufacturers must be aware of this and use a UV resistant resin, I have seen it happen to my own Akrapovic and Termignoni pipes which are otherwise very good quality.

Erling,

Don't know how many years you have been using your CF parts, but have you noticed any yellowing?

Looking forward to seeing your other home made parts!
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 AM   #176
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

@ Back on topic:

The main problem I see with carbon fiber is that the clear resin gets a yellow-ish tint after a few years of being exposed to sunlight. Even though the manufacturers must be aware of this and use a UV resistant resin, I have seen it happen to my own Akrapovic and Termignoni pipes which are otherwise very good quality.

Erling,

Don't know how many years you have been using your CF parts, but have you noticed any yellowing?

Looking forward to seeing your other home made parts!

The last few years I have worked with a great polyester manufacture of a surfboard grade resin. I love using it, because it is affordable....And holds up by far better to the uv bombardment than any epoxys. The uv suseptability of epoxys, are their Achilles heel...... The polymers just don`t take great to that.....and go under stress quicker that the polys.
Mind you I live in the desert southwest.....and my little thumper gets bombarded quite a lot. I got it in `06, and started fabbing in that year. No parts made with said polyester has any fading.....they look as clear as new. That is including the muffler itself..... which is a surprise to me......since polyester generally don`t withstand the heat as well as most epoxys. The pipe is only 18 months old.....but looks like it did when I made it. The header heat shield has just a tiny part of it that has a brownish tint.....but one has to look for it....... And that is sort of the tint that the resin had from the start. I suspect that the browning you see on the pipe......is from heat stress. I have seen plenty pipes on sportbikes, that were browned....and if you don`t use top notch polymer resins......you will start to see this as the material gets under stress. Now ....I` not trying to bash the makers of those pipes.......but you think like the argument about BMW should have tested their 8gs a wittlebitmore before marketing it.....The can makers don`t always use the greatest resin.......to elevate their profit margins..... Most disclaimers will even state this, as normal, and since it is not a structural/safety issue, they feel it`s ok.

The little thumper is now covered 100% in CF.....even the tank..... I made some very nice bash guards with build in led blinkers..... I would like to do the same on the 8gs....

Erling
Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #177
blueridgexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Still looking for a pipe that will work with the Jesse Safari bags. Anyone try a Leo Vince with these bags?
blueridgexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #178
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
The little thumper is now covered 100% in CF.....even the tank..... I made some very nice bash guards with build in led blinkers..... I would like to do the same on the 8gs....

Erling
Erling, if you are ever bored and would care to share some basics of your wisdom in CF I'm sure many of us would be appreciative of your advice. I can't be the only one who would love a cost effective way to make some one-off additions. Wouldn't even have to be a tutorial per se, even pointing us to a few links you've found helpful and sharing your raw materials would be a great start.

Hijack off.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #179
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Erling, if you are ever bored and would care to share some basics of your wisdom in CF I'm sure many of us would be appreciative of your advice. I can't be the only one who would love a cost effective way to make some one-off additions. Wouldn't even have to be a tutorial per se, even pointing us to a few links you've found helpful and sharing your raw materials would be a great start.

Hijack off.
Absolutely....... I thought about posting a few links in the PU......but thought that it would most likely get moved since it`s done on a suz thumper...... I am planning to make the bashguards with build in led`s in the near future.....
I will then post links to the TT site where most of them are hosted..... But in the mean time.....here are a few.......
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...er-mold-making

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...-fiber-muffler

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...er-case-savers

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...ber-handguards

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...r-front-fender

That o`d to get the fire started......

Erling
Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #180
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Has the holeshot pipe been on this thread yet?

The owner is a former drag racer and AFM racer and now makes parts, etc. He just moved from CA to northern Nev (Yearington).

Planning to meet up with him soon and check out his exhaust for the F800GS:
http://www.holeshot.com/

He said the standard one he sells is 17" long or about the same overall length as stock. Aparently he also has a shorter that I'm going to check out.

Based on an email I got from him the packing lasts 60-70k miles. Nice!

Weights about 1/2 what the stocker does and +2 HP in stock form.

Priced about the same as LV's.... Local and made in USA.