Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #106
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Nice

Sounds a lot like my old SV650, a bit smoother. I had a Yosh can on it though.
bodhizafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #107
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Yeah, if it lets the exhaust out easier and weighs less, how could it increase consumption?
Because you're twisting the throttle more!

Sometimes the internetz is too serial.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #108
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa
Nice

Sounds a lot like my old SV650, a bit smoother. I had a Yosh can on it though.
Thanks. I wish you all could hear the low end it puts out. Really nice 100-200Hz rumble. Especially at idle. I used my iPhone to record the video, and the built in microphone on it doesn't capture any low frequencies at all. Maybe I'll do a recording with a good mic....
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #109
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen
That's not a bug, that's a feature.
Thanks - I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it (like Microsoft products). But I'm still hoping that opening up the airflow in and exhaust out will help.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #110
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Those concerned with popping:

Letting the exhaust flow more freely actually leans out the fuel mixture, which induces more popping on decel. Mine actually pops a bit worse with the aftermarket exhaust. And it's louder popping too, since the exhaust is more "open". (the stock exhaust pops a bit too, btw. You just don't hear it as much due to how well the stock exhaust reduces the decibel output)

The only way to fully cure the popping would be to install a Power Commander (or equivalent) and create a custom fuel map. To cure the popping you'll need to richen up the mixture. This will make fuel economy suffer.

I have extensive experience with these things from back when I had my KLR's. On both I added a UNI air filter and and aftermarket exhaust. This wreaked havoc on the carbuerator. Leaned things way out and induced much more popping on decel. I had to experiment with jetting (main jet and needle size) and idle mixture screw settings like crazy to cure it. In both cases I had to richen the fuel/air mixture considerably across the power band to cure the popping on decel. This in turn made fuel economy decrease a bit.

Curing it on the F8 will be computer-based and far more expensive than a KLR unfortunately.

http://www.orientexpress.com/product...tm_campaign=gb

Good luck.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #111
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Ahhhh.... but it will be that much easier too. I put a PCIII on my kawasaki track bike. Whole project took an hour or two. Downloaded a map from a website that gathered good ones online.

Once someone has a similar set up dyno tuned we could collect maps of those set ups here or somwhere and its easy.

Total cost is what - like $300 for the unit + 250 for a custom map or a free map downloaded?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #112
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 692
Speaking of enriching the air/fuel mixture. There's a thread about fuelling issues discussing a device which does just that over the entire RPM range. Would be interesting to know if this would help with the popping.

Jens, who sells the thing, is an inmate here so may offer an opinion.

Thread is here.

Inmate Hogrunner will be putting it on his F8 and providing feedback.

At a cost of $150, it's certainly a much cheaper option than the PCIII or PCV with maps and potentially dyno time.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #113
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Speaking of enriching the air/fuel mixture. There's a thread about fuelling issues discussing a device which does just that over the entire RPM range. Would be interesting to know if this would help with the popping.

Jens, who sells the thing, is an inmate here so may offer an opinion.

Thread is here.

Inmate Hogrunner will be putting it on his F8 and providing feedback.

At a cost of $150, it's certainly a much cheaper option than the PCIII or PCV with maps and potentially dyno time.

Since it will by design waste fuel/mileage far more than the PCIII (more fuel in = more burned vs. more efficient fuel in = less fuel burned) it will cost more not less. I got my PCIII for the track bike for $265 I think. Even if it is $300 @ $3 a gallon that means it really costs $150 more or 50 gallons or so at $3/gallon.

Assuming I get 5 MPG less with that thing vs. a PCIII (45 vs. 50 mpg) that is about a 10% increase in fuel cost? So if I drive 10,000 miles per year on average that is 200 gallons per year vs. 220. 20 gallons at $3 per = $60 or so. Sounds like two years or less for the PCIII to pay for itself.

Is that math right? I think I'll stick with real world performance vs. vodoo attempts to fix what isn't broken. I kinda like the put-put back fire every now and then.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #114
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
The problem with linear adjustments across the entire rev range like that achieved through fooling the temperature sensor is that it assumes the Air/Fuel ratio is uniformly rich or lean by the same amount at all points on the curve, which is never the case.

And then there is the variability between stock bikes. Many years experience on Dynos has shown that two seemingly identical new bikes don't necessarily have the same fuelling requirements. And then add mods like exhausts, high flow filters and you are off in la la land.

The only way to adjust the fuelling is some sort of map adjustment that is able to be custom tuned to the particular bike and set up at each point in the rev/throttle position curve.

I am not saying that simple devices don't do anything useful, just that they are not ideal.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #115
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Just fited a Twalcom QD titanium exhaust on my 800 and it sounds.....
Whow

And the weight difrence is also amazing!

Cheers!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #116
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
F800GS Header Pipe

Hey guys I've been away for awhile. I've read through most of the recent posts and still didn't see an answer so I'm asking again.

Short story I hope but, I took a 50 mile off-road trip last month on my F800GS and of course on the last 5 miles hit a large rock that both bent the cross-bar of my center stand and dented the catalytic converter of on my header pipe. The following week my bike went from getting 200 miles to the tank to 140 miles to the tank. I'm not sure what the heck I damaged in the exhaust but the sudden loss of mileage is, well, sucky.

Anyway I'm sure the cost to replace the stock BMW header is not feasible. So knowing that it's a great time to re-start my search into an aftermarket header pipe. I've seen a suggestion about an Italian made pipe that is not available in the USA so I'm looking for an alternative. I need an aftermarket header (not Remus) that I can purchase in the US and mount a slip-on canister, likely a Leo.

Anyway if you know of a product it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-AR

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #117
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Red, it may be cheaper to have a custom shop sort out your exhaust. They'd be able to patch in a new piece or remove the cat guts or whatever you wanted. Have you checked into any repair options, or are you set on a replacement?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #118
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
http://www.piperepair.com/
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #119
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRed
I've seen a suggestion about an Italian made pipe that is not available in the USA so I'm looking for an alternative. I need an aftermarket header (not Remus) that I can purchase in the US and mount a slip-on canister, likely a Leo.

Anyway if you know of a product it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-AR
The only italian header pipe i'v seen so far is thE one manufactered by QD exhaust for Twalcom, 1/3rd the price of BMW header pipes, i have it instaled in my bike, but beware, it's not street legal since it has no catalytic converter, it fit's really nice, and you'l be able to fit any exhaust (original or aftermarket) with no problem.

www.twalcom.com
QD-exhaust

Cheers
Old 03-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #120
mark0ne
Ralle-Moto Adventure

Oddometer: 112
This is our new exhaust

www.rallemoto.com
mark0ne is offline   Reply With Quote