User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Uteman2014 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wicked Mounting the bike

Ok got a new F700 GS, I was told I should not put my footing on the foot peg and climb on while the bike is on the foot stand due to only one bolt securing the stand... at my age it is easier for me when I have to swing my leg over the boxes...any issues with doing this ?

40 years riding a V-Twin it was never an issue, but these bikes sit higher and I am really starting to like these ADV bikes
Uteman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
The real problem with that method will occur when you are off-road and parked on a soft surface, You need to get comfortable getting on without using the pegs/sidestand so that when you are offroad in rough terrain you can still get on the bike,
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Uteman2014 OP
n00b

Yes B_C

Yes I will work on that for sure, but after two lower back operations things don't swing like they did 20 years ago maybe over time I will figure out a method that works better.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uteman2014 View Post
Ok got a new F700 GS, I was told I should not put my footing on the foot peg and climb on while the bike is on the foot stand due to only one bolt securing the stand... at my age it is easier for me when I have to swing my leg over the boxes...any issues with doing this ?

40 years riding a V-Twin it was never an issue, but these bikes sit higher and I am really starting to like these ADV bikes
don't ya worry your pretty little head about it. I spend hours on the peg drinking beer, napping, talking to a buddy that also is on his peg (he has a XLV). Only issue is that you need to retorque it once and again from time to time (i.e. once a month).

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
broken paddle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have the same problem. I have a1200gs and a honda transalp. I found some very good videos on utube on mounting from the right side. I put a larger kickstand pad on the gs and that helps in soft underfoot. When you mount from the right side it takes weight off the kickstand.
broken paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Uteman2014 OP
n00b

Thanks Loutre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
don't ya worry your pretty little head about it. I spend hours on the peg drinking beer, napping, talking to a buddy that also is on his peg (he has a XLV). Only issue is that you need to retorque it once and again from time to time (i.e. once a month).
Just so it does not snap off, I can retorgue it once a month easy .. these bikes are a blast.. reminds me of riding back in the last 60's on the dirt trails.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Uteman2014 OP
n00b

Broken Paddle

Quote:
Just so it does not snap off, I can retorgue it once a month easy .. these bikes are a blast.. reminds me of riding back in the last 60's on the dirt trails.
I will give that a try.. I can lift my left leg allot better
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
yep I needed a new bike to fall in love all over again. Everytime I come down from my pregnant elephant and fire up that parallel twin I feel the smile again that made me buy it in the first place. But I am still glad to have my boxer right next to it :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
I found that getting on from the right side is easier when using the peg, but now I just lift my right foot over the seat and slide on. I have to do it that way with luggage on anyway. I just had a lower back operation 3 weeks ago, maybe that will loosen things up but I'm not counting on it. Arthritis in my right hip prevents me from swinging my leg over when I have the panniers on.

cchoc screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 05:25 AM
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 471
arthritis in my left hip. ONLY way i can mount is with the bike on the sidestand and me standing on the left peg. this has presented a challenge at times off road for sure! i do have an extension foot on the stand and carry an easily accessible 3x4" piece of wood in my tank bag to put under there in the soft stuff. pia but works!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
I stand on the peg to mount the bike all the time. If you are so heavy you will break a steel bolt you need to go on a diet.

You can look up the shear strength of a bolt that size and see how your weight compares. Or you can go by internet rumors.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
67siia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I'm 5'9", I put my left leg of the peg and throw my right leg over the seat, I can't swing it over for two reasons: saddles and physically in bad shape. I have not had any issues with the peg bolt thus far.

I have never tried mounting it from the right side because I keep thinking my heavy a$$ will tilt the bike over me... Ought to try it now.

Quote:

1979 Yamaha DT175
2007 Yamaha TTR125L
67siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67siia View Post
I have never tried mounting it from the right side because I keep thinking my heavy a$$ will tilt the bike over me... Ought to try it now.
Lean over the bike as you mount from the right, also the bike will stand up as you mount.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
I stand on the peg but I'm only 225lbs plus gear....
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote