Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #136
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,632
For your discussion. Here from my Alaska Trip.

Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #137
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
It is cool here, how about where you are? Any problems on hot days such as bogging, fuelling issues or major changes in mileage?
I'm in Australia but I live in a fairly high and cool place. This spring the sun has hardly come out and it has been raining a lot, so I haven't been riding on many hot days yet.

I don't think this is going to be a problem, I exchanged a few emails with Marc who makes the accelerator module and I think that the only difference between it and the Booster plug is where the temperature sensor is located. Obviously with the accelerator it is under the false fuel tank top. The difference with the booster plug is that the sensor can be mounted anywhere you like. Marc makes a more expensive module with this feature, but I got the impression that he really didn't think it would make much difference.

The other thing to remember is that neither of these plugs do anything when you have a steady throttle ... it just reverts to the original BMW fuel map, the only change is when you open the throttle.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #138
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
You are right, Reading between the lines looks like bad blood between them.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #139
motojc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmonkey
I now have 21K miles on my 09 F8 GS and the milage keeps getting worse and worse. It all seemed to happen at around 18K miles. Not quite sure what the deal is. I service the bike as recommended, etc..., but I've dropped from 48 mpg to about 40 mpg. Talked to the dealer about it and they told me to watch my milage until the 24K service. Very helpful - not!
maybe also check your spark plugs and clean air filter. plugs are scheduled at 24K replacement. but I had them on my other bike degrading and that resulted in a big drop on mpg. did the service, everything came back.

otherwise, still waiting for 17T and getting 45-49mpg. It's been windy lately, really brought down the numbers.
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #140
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
63 MPG

16 T front sprocket. Heidenau K60's running @ 40 psi. No bags. Mostly Rural Roads and also some stop/go traffic downtown.

Two tanks today. About half done with the second tank. This is the average over the entire day but this isn't the norm. My norm is around 53 with bags on.

Flashback screwed with this post 11-25-2010 at 07:47 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #141
motojc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Put the 17t in today, had a short ride in the city, really like it. There's no visible power drop as I expected, it seems stayed mreo or less the same. But, the bottom end jerkiness is gone, the power delivery seems smoother across the band now. Have a new tank of gas, will do the numbers tomorrow. I really like it. Thanks guys!

ps. the sprocket replacement was very easy. But, the realign of the chain took a long time. the left (non chain) side of the bracket kept moving further than the right side after tightening, finally I realized I need to give it one notch tolerance for it to be symmetrical in the end.
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #142
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I had this weird drop in gas mileage to the high 30's/low 40's right after we started into daily freezing temperatures...actually the tank after the 63 mpg trip. Over a thousand miles of nothing but terrible gas mileage. I couldn't believe it.

Then just as suddenly as it started, it stopped and I was back into the normal mid 50s. Not sure what was going on inside that computer that caused the see saw.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #143
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Bad mileage

You are not using Dynabeads are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I had this weird drop in gas mileage to the high 30's/low 40's right after we started into daily freezing temperatures...actually the tank after the 63 mpg trip. Over a thousand miles of nothing but terrible gas mileage. I couldn't believe it.

Then just as suddenly as it started, it stopped and I was back into the normal mid 50s. Not sure what was going on inside that computer that caused the see saw.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #144
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
Not on Dynabeads.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #145
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley View Post
I'm curious why you think Dynabeads would cause bad mileage?
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #146
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I'm beginning to think there is some gas additive that gets put into the supplies in the winter which the F8 doesn't like. I had two tanks of good mileage then it went straight back to sheeite. Did 300 miles yesterday and averaged 45 mpg over the trip.

I decided to quit screwing around and broke down and threw a 17T on this morning. Didn't like the 17T in the warm weather but gonna give it a try see how it does in the cold.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #147
DidYouSeeThat
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
The Variables:
Odometer: 3500 miles
Rider: 6'2", 230 lbs
Luggage: none for 90%
Windscreen: stock
Exhaust: Stock
Mods: 15T Sproket Front / Stock Rear is the performance Mod.
Road Use: 90/10 , but I treat it like a race car and have no concern for fuel economy ;) ... Yeee Haaaaaa

Results:
Overall Average from the start: 48 mpg according to the OBC
Just did a calc at the last fuel up that was 98% Road at cruising speeds trhough the mountians and twisting the throttle on a few light to light local stuff on So. Cali Roads pulled into the station with 220miles on the trip and 3.28 Gal to full at the pump is 67mpg...

Sweet! I dont really believe it but that is pretty nice if it is true...
08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
DidYouSeeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #148
DidYouSeeThat
Uhhhh... Where?

Oddometer: 189
Ohhh crud!...

I have an error in my calc that I just realized....

3.28 at the pump plus about 1.2 gal (the real cap of my 1 gal container) from the TE310 when I swapped the Dessert Tank over... I filled the 1 gal container and then put it in the Beemer and then the other .6 went into the container agian and then back into the TE when it was done.....

So the corrected math is
220 miles in 4.48gal is 49mpg... That matches my Bike Comp Calc....

I think the real key is "not caring too much" ;)
08 TE250 - with 300cc Kit
10 Rubicon
DidYouSeeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #149
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post

OMG....Impressive....I would love to keep track like this but I do not know how to use excel! My partner is at me because I am at times a bit anal!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #150
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
I see that yours are all over the place. Mine too. After discussions with BMW over the sudden drop in mpg a couple months ago it was ascertained that in fact the fuel management system absolutely hates cold weather and the move from 53 to 43 mpg over tank averages was in line with the normal behaviour of the bike. This is, I believe, because my engine is not warming up enough in the sub freezing ambient air temps and the bike is continually running rich. I've noticed that my engine temp gauge has rarely gotten above 3 bars this winter but as soon as it hits 4 bars my gas mileage goes up.

Interestingly enough I've found that one particular brand of gas "Crown" consistently ran between 4 and 6 mpg higher averages over tanks than any other brand this winter. I'm not sure why.

Oh ya. Tore the 17T back off. It was giving me high 20 mpgs @ 75 mph fully loaded with bags whereas the 16T will yield high 30's/low 40's @ 75 mph. I also noticed considerable drops in gas mileage with the 17T anytime that torque was required...such as coming off a stop or popping a wheelie through a stop light.

The 17T was good for mid range cruising though -> averaged near 70mpg if I didn't ever need to apply the gas, start from a stop, or ride above 60mph.

So basically, in my situation, 17T is great for distance at moderate speeds without lots of gear. But it don't compare to the 16T under pressure (or my throttle tendencies). Way too variable a mileage range for me. I like to know what to expect on a ride even if it shaves a bit off my top end.