User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #196
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 925
Gas mileage on my new F800GS Adventure

I am about 800 miles on my bike and I am calculating about 41 mpg. I am really curious to what is going on. My commute is open highway. I average between 70-75 mph going on. The only luggage I have are my BMW panniers and a top case that as of now are empty. I have been using the 93 Octane gas and the suspension has been set in "Comfort" mode.

Thoughts
Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #197
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
The higher the speed the higher the fuel consumption. It really starts to drop off above 60mph.
Bayner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #198
mackdaddy
Finding my way

I can't drive 55

Yes, I know it was a song

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can drive one of these babies under 60 on the open highway. Its just so fun to open it up.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #199
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,427
41mpg that is about 6.9l/100 o0 wow! Even fully loaded, two up on my 800GS the worse I had during highway cruising at 120kmh was 5.9l and I thought something was wrong.

Last time I got 4.8-5l at that speed. I have a fuel consumption of 7l when I'm at 150kmh that is about 93 mph. Fueling with 95 oct. Hope for you it's getting better after the break in of the engine.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #200
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
The best I've EVER gotten on my 2013 F800GS (with large Touratech panniers and usually lots of stuff strapped on top) is 4.33 litres per 100 km (54.3 miles per US gallon). Most of my riding involves too many high-speed highway miles and I regularly get around 5.0 L/100km (+/- .3L) or 46.8 mi/US gal .

The worst I've gotten was 6.06 L/100km (38.8 mi/US gal) and that was riding a fully loaded bike at 80mph in strong headwinds and rain.

I find it pretty much impossible to ride slower than 120kph on highways.

And that's in close to 20,000 km with the bike this year.
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #201
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
MPG May change After the break in period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy View Post
I am about 800 miles on my bike and I am calculating about 41 mpg. I am really curious to what is going on. My commute is open highway. I average between 70-75 mph going on. The only luggage I have are my BMW panniers and a top case that as of now are empty. I have been using the 93 Octane gas and the suspension has been set in "Comfort" mode.

Thoughts
I have a 2013 F800 GS. My miles per gallon was about the same as yours during the break in. After about 1200 miles I noticed that my miles per gallon increased I now average around 49 or 50 mpg loaded with gear...... Although I do have soft bags instead of hard cases.

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #202
Heifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
52 mpg average

If i ride and keep the bike under 65 mph, average fuel economy is 58 mpg. Since I am blasting down the interstate at 75-80 mph almost every day, my average gas mileage is 52 mpg. The bike does very well on the interstate with the Madstat screen.

I think the bike is very fuel efficient if the RPM's are kept below 4K. Probably one of the most fuel efficient bikes out there, especially for an 800.
Heifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #203
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifer View Post
If i ride and keep the bike under 65 mph, average fuel economy is 58 mpg. Since I am blasting down the interstate at 75-80 mph almost every day, my average gas mileage is 52 mpg. The bike does very well on the interstate with the Madstat screen.

I think the bike is very fuel efficient if the RPM's are kept below 4K. Probably one of the most fuel efficient bikes out there, especially for an 800.
Keeping it under 4k? That's easier said than done. I went out for a ride again yesterday, this time on tighter roads with speeds under 60 and got slightly above 60 mpg. I've come to the theory that the bike doesn't bleed much fuel when kept under 70 irrespective of the gear. I don't really care about the actual fuel efficiency, this bike is too much fun to worry about small things like that.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #204
Heifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Keeping it under 4k? That's easier said than done. I went out for a ride again yesterday, this time on tighter roads with speeds under 60 and got slightly above 60 mpg. I've come to the theory that the bike doesn't bleed much fuel when kept under 70 irrespective of the gear. I don't really care about the actual fuel efficiency, this bike is too much fun to worry about small things like that.
It is easy for me to keep it under 4K for me with the torque the motor has. Yeah, I drive it like a hooligan at times, and I like to take it easy on my bike as well. Motors last longer when they are not revved to the limit all the time in my opinion. To each his or her own.
Heifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #205
XRR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I got 62 and 66 mpg recently. Mixed riding.
XRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #206
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I see that yours are all over the place. Mine too. After discussions with BMW over the sudden drop in mpg a couple months ago it was ascertained that in fact the fuel management system absolutely hates cold weather and the move from 53 to 43 mpg over tank averages was in line with the normal behaviour of the bike. This is, I believe, because my engine is not warming up enough in the sub freezing ambient air temps and the bike is continually running rich. I've noticed that my engine temp gauge has rarely gotten above 3 bars this winter but as soon as it hits 4 bars my gas mileage goes up.

Interestingly enough I've found that one particular brand of gas "Crown" consistently ran between 4 and 6 mpg higher averages over tanks than any other brand this winter. I'm not sure why.

Oh ya. Tore the 17T back off. It was giving me high 20 mpgs @ 75 mph fully loaded with bags whereas the 16T will yield high 30's/low 40's @ 75 mph. I also noticed considerable drops in gas mileage with the 17T anytime that torque was required...such as coming off a stop or popping a wheelie through a stop light.

The 17T was good for mid range cruising though -> averaged near 70mpg if I didn't ever need to apply the gas, start from a stop, or ride above 60mph.

So basically, in my situation, 17T is great for distance at moderate speeds without lots of gear. But it don't compare to the 16T under pressure (or my throttle tendencies). Way too variable a mileage range for me. I like to know what to expect on a ride even if it shaves a bit off my top end.
The nice thing about my data here, I packed with the same weight the entire trip. The rest of the variance was just speed and wind. In Montana, I would ride 85 (GPS) on the highways, but slow down on gravel. In Canada, I stayed below 120 kph most times again slowing down on gravel. The roads that allowed more speed increased my fuel consumption.

I have noticed I can get better mileage without a load also.

Ergo, HP:MPG

The engine might be more fuel efficient at lower RPM, but not enough for me to chase it with a gearing change, especially since it will negatively effect my off road experience. I couldn't say if weather would effect it much.

Good luck
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #207
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Question Gas mileage dealership question?

Hey gang,

My original post is below. I have a service coming up at the dealership. Should I mention to the dealer that I am currently only averaging about 41 mpg? Is there something specific that they should be checking out on the bike? As usual, thanks for the info.

Quote:

Thoughts
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #208
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Only thing that comes to mind is to ensure the air filter didn't self-destruct and get sucked into the air box.

(I assume they sorted out that problem a few years ago already).
Bayner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #209
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,427
Quote:
Hey gang,

My original post is below. I have a service coming up at the dealership. Should I mention to the dealer that I am currently only averaging about 41 mpg? Is there something specific that they should be checking out on the bike? As usual, thanks for the info.
No don't you worry, once you hit the 6k service your mpg should be sorted out. It's the breaking in that uses fuel and oil :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #210
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Wicked Fuel range

Thanks for the feedback. With this 6.4 gallon tank, I wanted that 300 mile range right out of the box before finding fuel becomes a critical thing. A little bummed out right now about that but twisting the throttle quickly turns that frown upside down