Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
The BMW web site now says "Estimated 54.2* mpg," with the * addressing the mileage as measured during the Federal Test Procedure for EPA exhaust certification.

I want Wardman's bike. He's shorter and heavier than me, but gets better mileage. Maybe I should slouch a bit.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Karel, is your bike mapped for 89 octane? Anybody in North America done this?
north american 89 equals about 91 europen. the diffrence is in the meaurment method. you should not need a remap. be sure to read the letters after your recommended octane number in your manual, and compare them to what is on the pump.

Most european countries use RON, but NA averages the RON and the MON to come up with the number you see on the pump

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
I just read the section on fuel again in the owners manual and it states recommend fuel as 95 RON. This translates to 91 (R+M)/2 which is mid grade on most Canadain pumps in my experience. (Just throwing that out there...)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
I just read the section on fuel again in the owners manual and it states recommend fuel as 95 RON. This translates to 91 (R+M)/2 which is mid grade on most Canadain pumps in my experience. (Just throwing that out there...)

oops made an assumtion. I assumed the number listed in the manual was a RON number, like the old 650 had. Wierd that an ADV bike is speced to run on anything other than 87/89 grade.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
oops made an assumtion. I assumed the number listed in the manual was a RON number, like the old 650 had. Wierd that an ADV bike is speced to run on anything other than 87/89 grade.
I know, especially considering premium grade gas can be hard to find in the remote places the bike is designed to go. Not sure what BMW was thinking there...
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #21
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
They were thinking that you'd get the remap done or carry octane booster if you wanted to travel to places where there's no premium gas, and that you'd be thankful they kept the price of the bike down by not fitting a knock sensor. I'm not sure they were thinking really well...
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #22
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
F800GS Gas Mileage: What Ya Gettin'?

The Variables:
Units: Miles per US gallons
Odometer: Exactly 509 miles
Rider: 5'11" 175 lbs
Luggage: Jesse Odyssey II sides only loaded with guns, ammo and day kit for 75% of the miles
Windscreen: Stock
Exhaust: Stock
Misc: Adv-Spec crash bars and bash guard
Riding Conditions: Mix of highway at 65-75 mph +/-, twisty back roads, six crossings over the Spring Mountain Range, many short trips and errands, three 100+ mile days. Extremely windy conditions!
Results:
Over the course of the first 509 miles I've averaged only 30.3 miles per gallon.

I also found out yesterday coming back from the Death Valley area that 0 miles left on the OBC, really means 0 miles left! Like a switch, the engine cut off when the display moved to zero. Fortunately, I had decided to turn left to Pahrump for fuel rather than risk heading to Las Vegas on Hwy 160. By the graces of good luck or karma the engine quit 200 yards from the Shell station and I coasted into the pumps with about 15 feet to spare!

I'm a new rider and the dealer told me to ride it like I stole it during the break-in period so that is exactly what I've been doing; high rpms and no chug-a-lugging. Maybe I twisted the throttle up to 85-90 mph for a few seconds... maybe

30 mpg isn't so great and I suspect it is reflective of the break-in and hard riding. None-the-less, it's still almost 3x better than the 11.5 mpg average on my Hummer.

RobStar
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #23
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
The OBC tells me I'm getting around 45mpg. But it's still too early to tell. I'll post again when I have harder long distance evidence. It's still not Spring yet here in Minnesnowta.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #24
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Wind can make a heck of a difference. I've seen my mileage - on an RT - vary by 20+ mpg depending on if I had a head- or tail-wind. And an RT is more aerodynamic than the GS; my guess is that the cd of a GS+Rider is close to .9: only marginally better than pushing a steel plate thru the air

Another good argument for carrying a couple of Sigg bottles full of fuel. Glad you made it to the Shell station.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #25
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
Wind can make a heck of a difference.... an RT is more aerodynamic than the GS; my guess is that the cd of a GS+Rider is close to .9: only marginally better than pushing a steel plate thru the air

Another good argument for carrying a couple of Sigg bottles full of fuel. Glad you made it to the Shell station.
Agreed, I'm completely upright on the GS, the Jesse bags are boxy and the last 4-5 days have been winds at 20-25 mph with gusts in the 30+ range. The week before was very windy too. There's no hiding from the wind here, plus when you get into the canyons it's crazy coming from every direction.

REI and Sigg bottles are on my list for tomorrow...

** Sigg no longer makes fuel bottles - I bought two 30 oz MSR fuel bottles w/o the child-resistant caps today at REI for $15 each **

RobStar screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 10:39 PM
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #26
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
I run her out yesterday at 167 miles on the GPS.
I thought I got a good fill at the station. Was doing some off roading-first gear-sand work. Kinda sucked-lucky I was riding with some one. That tankfull was about 42 MPG.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #27
The Griz
North Forest Rider

For MPG today, my OBC was throwing numbers pretty consistent with what BMW claims. 60 mpg or so at 55 mph, and 45 mpg or so at 70 mph. However, I'm a bit concerned with the the number it was posting for "miles until fill." With a full tank of gas it was saying 134 miles until fill needed. weird. Shouldn't it say more like 210 or 220 miles? Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #28
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
In the last 5 weeks or 8,000+ miles I've noted the following MPG while in full touring dress:

60 MPH casual straight line ride, don't remember where exactly, but when I needed to stretch my tank this was my optimum speed = 62 MPG

60MPH spirited riding on tarmac with twisties ( PCH for example) = 46MPG

78 MPH interstate riding (that not get a ticket but make time through the midwest speed) = 43MPG

20 - 70 MPH spirited dirt/gravel road riding, baja, DV, moab, etc. = 37MPG

110 MPH+ hauling ass for hours in the desert riding = 28 MPG

After a few weeks I stopped keeping tabs the old fashioned way because the computer was always real close for the MPG. When the gas light comes on you have 1 gallon left, so how you're riding dictates how far you'll get...
stretch it 60 miles or get to the gas station 25 miles away in less than 15 minutes... choose wisely.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #29
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
In the last 5 weeks or 8,000+ miles I've noted the following MPG while in full touring dress:

60 MPH casual straight line ride, don't remember where exactly, but when I needed to stretch my tank this was my optimum speed = 62 MPG

60MPH spirited riding on tarmac with twisties ( PCH for example) = 46MPG

78 MPH interstate riding (that not get a ticket but make time through the midwest speed) = 43MPG

20 - 70 MPH spirited dirt/gravel road riding, baja, DV, moab, etc. = 37MPG

110 MPH+ hauling ass for hours in the desert riding = 28 MPG

After a few weeks I stopped keeping tabs the old fashioned way because the computer was always real close for the MPG. When the gas light comes on you have 1 gallon left, so how you're riding dictates how far you'll get...
stretch it 60 miles or get to the gas station 25 miles away in less than 15 minutes... choose wisely.
But what explains the low "miles to fill needed" reading?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
Calibob
Lost Soul

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
For MPG today, my OBC was throwing numbers pretty consistent with what BMW claims. 60 mpg or so at 55 mph, and 45 mpg or so at 70 mph. However, I'm a bit concerned with the the number it was posting for "miles until fill." With a full tank of gas it was saying 134 miles until fill needed. weird. Shouldn't it say more like 210 or 220 miles? Thoughts?
Same here... When I fill up, my OBC shows a "greater than" > symbol before the projected miles to refill. I read somewhere that this is normal and the OBC won't start counting down until your below the "greater than" predicted mileage.
2100 miles and I have been averaging about 56mpg
75-80 mph highway...