RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Ten months, 10,000 miles later with 17 tooth sprocket added

The Variables:
Units: Miles per US gallons
Odometer: 9913 miles
Rider: 5'11" 175 lbs
Luggage: Jesse Odyssey II sides always loaded with general tools, tubes, water bottles, first aid kit etc..
Windscreen: Stock
Exhaust: Stock
Tires: TKC 80's since 3500 miles
Misc: Adv-Spec crash bars and bash guard
Riding Conditions: Mix of highway at 65-75 mph +/-, twisty back roads, gravel off-road, many short trips and errands. Generally windy conditions always in Las Vegas!
Results:
In my first post after the first 500 miles I averaged only 30.3 miles per gallon. Since then been averaging much better.

At this point I'm averaging 49-54 mpg pretty consistently and calculated with a calculator not the OBC. No issues with the OBC mileage readings though but after running out of gas the first week I give it plenty of respect/cushion, have the fuel range set on my GPS as a reminder and now carry two MSR fuel bottles in DV and off-road.

The TKCs have not changed my mileage.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #77
Roy Barnes
Riding for the SON

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029
On my last ride the odo showed 233 miles vs 240 on the Garmin
The F650gs is using a 140/80/17 tire which is about one inch taller than the 150/70/17 used on the F800gs. I think they are using the same coumpurter settings for the larger tire on the 650. Mine is almost three miles slow per 100 miles also. Maybe it is good for warentee work.
Roy Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #78
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Decrease

Ever since I had my 12000 mile valve adjustment and they also did the recall that was supposed to make the computer more accurate as far as miles left etc I have lost about 30 miles per tank in fuel economy. I am currently getting around 54 MPG, which I guess isnt bad, but I'd like to know what happened to my 30 miles.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #79
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
150 miles on the clock, and I put 3 gal into the bike.. ~50mpg.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #80
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Ever since I had my 12000 mile valve adjustment and they also did the recall that was supposed to make the computer more accurate as far as miles left etc I have lost about 30 miles per tank in fuel economy. I am currently getting around 54 MPG, which I guess isnt bad, but I'd like to know what happened to my 30 miles.
Funny, I've been thinking the same thing. Granted I'm just piddling around town these days, going short distances in the city which ought to return just about the worst mileage possible, but I feel like the mileage got worse after the computer fix. (Mine was done as part of the 6,000 mile service.) Tracking it with Gas Buddy on the iPhone I'm getting just 36-40 mpg around town now. I don't see how there could be any connection...but....?

Rob in Seattle
Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #81
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Wow and I thought 54 was bad. I'd really be pissed about 36-40.... Do you run with panniers on?
I track mileage at fuelly.com--I just browsed and it looks like Im getting better mileage than the other 11 people that have registered their f8s..,,,,Has anyone else seen a decrease in mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Funny, I've been thinking the same thing. Granted I'm just piddling around town these days, going short distances in the city which ought to return just about the worst mileage possible, but I feel like the mileage got worse after the computer fix. (Mine was done as part of the 6,000 mile service.) Tracking it with Gas Buddy on the iPhone I'm getting just 36-40 mpg around town now. I don't see how there could be any connection...but....?

Rob in Seattle

rockinrog screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 05:03 PM
Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #82
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Wow and I thought 54 was bad. I'd really be pissed about 36-40.... Do you run with panniers on?
I'm a big tall guy, and I have Metal Mule panniers and the Skorpion exhaust that goes along with them. It's my one complaint about the Metal Mules--the aftermarket exhaust reduces mileage by about 10%, though they said it wouldn't. The 36-40 is around town--I get about 45 mpg going 75 mph on the freeway, and up to 50-55 mpg on gravel/back roads at 45-55 mph.

Rob in Seattle
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #83
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
My commute used to be 50 miles one way and I would get 56-57mpg consistently. Now the commute changed to 65 miles (one way) and I'm down to 53-55 mpg (all of this is Bay Area trafic).

When going on weekend trips I usually get around 50mpg and on longer stretches of Interstate around 40mpg.

All of this is with a stock bike.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #84
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

gauge

Starting about 2 tank fulls ago my gauge reads full until I reach about 130 miles on the tank- then drops to about 3/4. My mileage has either greatly improved (haha) or I have a faulty sensor... Back to the dealer it goes.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #85
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Starting about 2 tank fulls ago my gauge reads full until I reach about 130 miles on the tank- then drops to about 3/4. My mileage has either greatly improved (haha) or I have a faulty sensor... Back to the dealer it goes.
I don't know what your gauge was doing before. But what it's doing now is essentially normal, according to the user manual. The big fat bar doesn't go away until you've used about 1/2 the tank, or ~2 gals. So somewhere around ~100 or so miles is about where the first, fat bar disappears.

It does this because the underseat tank is so irregularly shaped that there's no way to get any sort of accurate reading until the gas has been sufficiently used up.

So you can spare yourself a trip to the dealer.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #86
WvMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I don't know what your gauge was doing before. But what it's doing now is essentially normal, according to the user manual. The big fat bar doesn't go away until you've used about 1/2 the tank, or ~2 gals. So somewhere around ~100 or so miles is about where the first, fat bar disappears.
What he said - mine's always behaved that way. Seems accurate after the initial delay though.

WvMoto
WvMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #87
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
I believe the owner's manual reads the same thing, this is normal. Mine has always been this way. As stated it would be almost impossible to gauge fuel level until it is lowered to the area forward where the pump and sender are.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #88
myblubeemer
JWAT

Oddometer: 453
My guage does the exact same thing. Stays full until around 130 miles then drops down to about 3/4. I just go it so I thought that was normal. Do most of them track linearly?

Quote:

"I'm not sure what I do all day, but it takes me all day to do it!"
myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #89
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubeemer
My guage does the exact same thing. Stays full until around 130 miles then drops down to about 3/4. I just go it so I thought that was normal. Do most of them track linearly?
No, none of them do. That's why the owner's manual describes the way it works.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #90
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks guys, mine always dropped way sooner. I ran it towards empty and it did finally catch up to reality.

To clarify... Instead of dropping the big bar then more... it waits and drops about 4 bars at once.. never did that before.

rockinrog screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 09:10 PM Reason: More info