Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #106
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Last time I checked I had 190 miles on the trip and I filled 3.3 gallons to fill it up for a mpg of almost 57.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #107
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 504
I have a F650GS twin. Now that I have nearly 10000mile i get 60-63 if I ride back roads and keep the speeds average around 50mph. this wi with Jesse bags which noticable cuts milage.

When I on highway and drive 70 mileage drops to aroung 57mpg..again with Jesse bags and full windscreen
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #108
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Fixing the hole in the airbox fixed my gas mileage. Average of 57 ish now for me too. Looks like 55 to 57 is pretty normal.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #109
Huesero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Gertrud, the F800 GS, has about 22k miles on her now, and gets 50-53 mpg on the highway with panniers and a duffle.
Huesero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #110
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huesero
Gertrud, the F800 GS, has about 22k miles on her now, and gets 50-53 mpg on the highway with panniers and a duffle.
Dido: 50 - 53 with all the bags on her.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #111
motojc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
The Variables:
Units: Miles per US gallons
Odometer: 450 miles
Rider: 6'1" 175 lbs
Windscreen: Stock
Exhaust: Stock
Riding Conditions: Mostly highway, 75mphish.

Results:
47mpg first fill up, 45mpg 2nd fill up, by the bump. OBC within 2mpg tolerances.

So I have questions:

1. This does not look so great compared to what you guys got, what gives? would it get better after break in? How can i improve.

2. I have not read the manual, but there's one screen i assume is the real time mpg, it changes so wildly i wonder if it is any accurate at all. For example, it's very sensitive to uphill or down hill, if I hold the same throttle, the number will change, and my mpg varies from lower30s (70s uphill) to upper 90s (off throttle coasting or engine break), many times i even found 5th gear doing 10mpg better than 6th gear upon downshift, this happens to you guys at all?

3. I realize 4K rpm and 70mph is the jump, keep lower than that, I get 50s in live view, above, it drops to lower 40s. In city, lower gear, lower speed, it does upper 50s on OBC. IS this normal?

Thanks.
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #112
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I'd give the bike some more break in time and more fill ups before getting worried about gas mileage. These bikes are pretty bullet proof but on occasion something really is broken.

Generally below 70 = good gas mileage. Above it = not so good. I'd speculate that this has to do with the gearing and fuel injector mapping which is set more for lower speed torque and trail type riding than it is for highway cruising. BMW actually meant for people to use this bike off pavement when they built it

I hit 59 mpg average today on a 100+ mile trip loaded with all the bags on in which I stayed at or below 60 and let the bike ride where it was comfortable.

Being tuned for performance the F8 requires 93 Octane or better fuels and very sensitive to throttle input. The harder you are on the throttle and the faster you go, the less you get out of the tank. The computer is continually learning about the bike/how you are riding and optimizing itself for those conditions.

As such you need to be aware of the gas you are putting into it and try to run the same octane fuel each time. It'll run on regular/low octane fuels but not as well as you'd think and will need to re-learn injector settings each time you change octane levels. BMW says that it can take a couple hundred miles for the F8 computer to completely tune for a drop or gain in octane.

If you don't plan to need to wheelie over stumps etc very often but instead plan on doing a lot of highway miles and want better gas mileage at 75-80 mph (@80mph I usually get around 48-49/gal steady in areas with grade regardless of load) you can up the size of your front sprocket by 1 tooth.

That will bring the gear ratio in closer to what it is on the F650 Twin, raise the rpm/speed ratio by about 10 mph in 6'th, and reduce your low end torque slightly. Most commuters and distance riders are very happy with this modification claiming that it increases the overall performance of the bike and also moves that annoying handle bar vibration to a speed slightly higher than they normally travel. If you want to do this, best to do it before the chain and current sprockets get too broken in.

[I believe that the F650 twin sprockets are one tooth up in the front and one tooth down in the rear from the F8 but would need confirmation to be sure]

One other thing you can do to add a few miles to each tank is get your computer re-mapped to the same injector settings as the F650 Twin uses as the Twins fuel injection is mapped for optimization of fuel consumption at highway speeds vs the low speed / high power optimization of the F8. The Twins computer is also mapped for regular octane fuels vs the premium fuels the F8 requires.

Hope this helps!

Flashback screwed with this post 11-11-2010 at 02:55 AM
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #113
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Interesting.

I think what we can take from that is that BMW is covering their @ss for when knuckleheads disregard "reasonable" concepts of how to ride and take care of a large bore bike then file a warranty claim after subjecting it to more than "normal" conditions of wear and tear.

Being as capable off road as it is (and marketed as a Dual Sport/Enduro bike) I'm sure that BMW has received many claims from people trying to game the system after beating the crap out of their bikes in unreasonable ways. They will still cover all warranty issues resultant from defective manufacture or other non-rider/use related problems even if a bike is used off road. I have the warranty claims for a replacement head gasket and air box to prove it.

I'd say that their disclaimer sounds reasonable. After market products are always evolving and it can't really be expected that they be addressed fully in the manuals. But I do get the argument that they should lay out in more detail in the manuals the exactitudes of such things. When I have questions I just ask my service manager who is more than happy to point me in the direction of a product that fulfills my needs.

Flashback screwed with this post 11-11-2010 at 04:42 AM
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #114
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
The average for me for thousands of miles has been in the 56-57mpg range. A 400 mile trip loaded with gear at 75 netted me 48mpg. I have gotten as low as 33mpg according to the obc on the above trip when doing 70+ into a 40 mph headwind. So it kind of depends on speed and conditions. It falls off pretty quickly a freeway speeds.

With my current 17 tooth front sprocket it has been averaging right at 60mpg with no long trips on it. I have added an "accelerator" program resister that tricks the bike to run richer under certain conditions and have not noticed any appreciable change in the mileage.
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #115
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Avg 46 commuting on the street and get about 54 when out in the hills
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #116
motojc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback

Being tuned for performance the F8 requires 93 Octane or better fuels and very sensitive to throttle input. The harder you are on the throttle and the faster you go, the less you get out of the tank. The computer is continually learning about the bike/how you are riding and optimizing itself for those conditions.

As such you need to be aware of the gas you are putting into it and try to run the same octane fuel each time. It'll run on regular/low octane fuels but not as well as you'd think and will need to re-learn injector settings each time you change octane levels. BMW says that it can take a couple hundred miles for the F8 computer to completely tune for a drop or gain in octane.
Thanks Flashback. I might just try the 17 tooth. But I never really understand the math: so, the engine will run at lower RPM at a given speed but will take a little longer to get to that speed? And this will not be a good thing if I go off road where I might need the torque lowdown? Would that give me higher top speed? But, wouldn't moving the same amount of mass (me and the bike) to the same speed will require the same amount of energy therefore, gas? and what would that do to my Odometer and speed reading? another thing I noticed is, my commute of 57miles on my Xmoto or Daytona675 now reads as 55 on the F8. IS ours more accurate knowing normally the clock is 5% faster?

Also, my bike has a sticker says 89 octane, so I think I should stick to that?

Also, it seems 5th gear and 6th gear has very little difference to RPM, and my MPG reading tends to go down when shift from 5th to 6th. That does not sound right. Anyway, going in for 600 mile tomorrow, will ask.

Thanks.
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #117
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojc
Thanks Flashback. I might just try the 17 tooth. But I never really understand the math: so, the engine will run at lower RPM at a given speed but will take a little longer to get to that speed? And this will not be a good thing if I go off road where I might need the torque lowdown? Would that give me higher top speed? But, wouldn't moving the same amount of mass (me and the bike) to the same speed will require the same amount of energy therefore, gas?
I ride a lot more commuting miles than off road miles and I have a 17 T sprocket waiting to go on next time I change my chain. I can't comment from experience yet but I doubt you will feel a difference in torque unless you are doing a lot of low speed riding in first gear. The engine has more than enough power to go around. Your other questions are beyond my level of knowledge grasshopper. Anyone else care to comment?

Quote:
and what would that do to my Odometer and speed reading? another thing I noticed is, my commute of 57miles on my Xmoto or Daytona675 now reads as 55 on the F8. IS ours more accurate knowing normally the clock is 5% faster?
Odometer readings shouldn't change. They are taken through the wheel speed sensor. They also shouldn't be off, esp on a new bike. That's a curious problem and I'd be interested to know the answer.

Quote:
Also, my bike has a sticker says 89 octane, so I think I should stick to that?

Also, it seems 5th gear and 6th gear has very little difference to RPM, and my MPG reading tends to go down when shift from 5th to 6th. That does not sound right. Anyway, going in for 600 mile tomorrow, will ask.

Thanks.
Check w/ your service dept. about the gas you should be using. My service dept specifically told me to try to not to use anything other than 93 for the reasons I stated previously (and that Shell has the cleanest and purest gasoline in the country based upon independent industry testing) but you want to be using whatever octane your bike is set up for.

So you've noticed that 6'th gear is basically not much more than an "overdrive" for 5'th. That's my biggest complaint about the bike.

Flashback screwed with this post 11-12-2010 at 03:47 AM
Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #118
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
In September I did 3500 miles from Houston to the South and North rims of the Grand Canyon, up thru Utah across to Colorado back down thru NM to Houston and according to the OBC I got 51 mpg for the entire 3500 mile trip.

When I am on the freeway (almost never, maybe 100 miles of the entire trip) or the straight flat roads of west Texas I am usually cruising at about 80-85 mph (as measured by the GPS).

I found that at above 4000 ft and in air a bit dryer than Houston my mileage went up dramatically and I would consistently get 60 mpg or above at higher elevations.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #119
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Results:
47mpg first fill up, 45mpg 2nd fill up, by the bump. OBC within 2mpg tolerances.

So I have questions:

1. This does not look so great compared to what you guys got, what gives? would it get better after break in? How can i improve.

2. I have not read the manual, but there's one screen i assume is the real time mpg, it changes so wildly i wonder if it is any accurate at all. For example, it's very sensitive to uphill or down hill, if I hold the same throttle, the number will change, and my mpg varies from lower30s (70s uphill) to upper 90s (off throttle coasting or engine break), many times i even found 5th gear doing 10mpg better than 6th gear upon downshift, this happens to you guys at all?

3. I realize 4K rpm and 70mph is the jump, keep lower than that, I get 50s in live view, above, it drops to lower 40s. In city, lower gear, lower speed, it does upper 50s on OBC. IS this normal?

Thanks.
1. Given your speeds this is normal. I average about 55 comuting (speed range of 45-75mph). Mainly 75 on the freeway gives low to mid 40s. Using an SUV as wind breaker results in 5-10mpg improvements.

2. Realtime varies dramatically. I've seen 20s to 199 on mine and slight changes (road, throttle) make big differences.

3. Yes, minde does the same thing.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #120
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Thanks Flashback. I might just try the 17 tooth. But I never really understand the math: so, the engine will run at lower RPM at a given speed but will take a little longer to get to that speed? And this will not be a good thing if I go off road where I might need the torque lowdown? Would that give me higher top speed? But, wouldn't moving the same amount of mass (me and the bike) to the same speed will require the same amount of energy therefore, gas? and what would that do to my Odometer and speed reading? another thing I noticed is, my commute of 57miles on my Xmoto or Daytona675 now reads as 55 on the F8. IS ours more accurate knowing normally the clock is 5% faster?

Thanks.
As stated, changing the to 17 tooth sprocket won't change speedo and odo readings and yes lower RPMs for a given speed. It does affect acceleration times. To what extent I can't say. Theoretically you will have a higher top speed if the hp & torque can overcome air resistance. I am not going to test it. If you need to ride 1st gear at low rpm off road it will probably make that harder to do.

This is supposition on my part, but considering the excellent mileage these bike's get, combined with all the sensors used to adjust air fuel mixtures to make that happen across the riding spectrum, I suspect these bike's run pretty lean a lot of the time. EPA has a role in this as well.
Tuned for optimum fuel economy, is not the same as tuning for maximum power. Surprised no one asked about my Accelerator resister, as its purpose is to trick the ECU to richen the mixture under certain conditions to hopefully get more power. I added it specifically to help with 1st gear low rpm travel with the 17 tooth sprocket off road. My seat of the pants analysis tells me it works. It feels like more torque under those conditions and a smoother engine enables better throttle control. I haven't found a condition it wasn't enough yet, but I look forward to another Death Valley trip for further testing. Carrying my 15 and 16 tooth sprockets as insurance.
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote