ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
lvscrvs OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Lost Coast Dual Sport / Adventure Bike Ride - Oct 4 & 5

The North Bay Motorcycle Club is hosting an overnight DS / ADV Bike event that goes from Ukiah to Fortuna and back the weekend of Oct 4 & 5. Mostly fire roads with lots of pavement options available. Overnight in Fortuna next to Eel River Brewing. Info and sign-ups here (scroll down):

http://www.northbaymc.org/

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
That's great news! Always a fun & scenic ride
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
lvscrvs OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Rode the two-day route with a few NBMC members who were mapping for the event this past weekend. Great riding on some of the best two track in the Lost Coast area. Temps were moderate and there was a good mix of off-road and onroad options both days. Dinner at Eel River Brewing..

Low Gap Rd coming out of Ukiah... (finally found a good use for the elastic cord on top of the Wolfman - Tevas fit perfect in there.... )

About 100' after this "Road Closed" sign on Low Gap is a short section where there was a slide that was fairly easy to navigate on the 250. Big bike riders might want to walk it first before riding through.

Sherwood... beauty!

Saturday afternoon goodness...

Sunday morning it was pea soup getting out to the ridge top. Totally worth it though... more great vistas and riding.

And then there's Usal....

Even the paved roads through this area are fun. All very doable on the DS bikes. All doable on a big bike if you have the skills and suspension. The toughest road for me (fairly inexperienced dirt rider) was King Range or King Peak (seen it marked both ways) between Honeydew and Shelter Cove. Lots of loose dirt and elevation change with tight switchbacks made me real glad I was on the 250 instead of the Tiger.
Hope to see you out there,
Brian

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco

lvscrvs screwed with this post 09-08-2014 at 05:30 PM Reason: minor corrections / addition
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
madmax237
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Sounds like a great ride! Any idea when it starts on saturday? I'd be coming up from San Francisco.
madmax237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
cuttenkid
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Start time Sat.

Tech opens at o-dark thirty so anytime after sunrise... you are good to go.

Don Amador, QWR
cuttenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
poomero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
The North Bay Motorcycle Club is hosting an overnight DS / ADV Bike event that goes from Ukiah to Fortuna and back the weekend of Oct 4 & 5. Mostly fire roads with lots of pavement options available. Overnight in Fortuna next to Eel River Brewing. Info and sign-ups here (scroll down):

Are you going to truck It up to this ride or are you riding to it?
poomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
cuttenkid
n00b

Lost Coast Ride

I haul my Tiger 955i up in my WW trailer along with all my event stuff. Am staying at the private parking area (lots of room for RV, etc.) If I was just by myself and was not working the event, I would ride up and hotel it or camp at the staging area in Ukiah.

Don Amador, QWR
www.quietwarriorracing.com
Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
madmax237
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Never having done this kind of event before, I'm curious how it works. Is there an official start time when everyone starts riding together as a group? Or are people just riding the route whenever they want in small groups of people they already know? How is the route marked, or are we just following people who know the way? Is there some kind of meetup place on Saturday evening?
madmax237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
cuttenkid
n00b

Lost Coast Ride

Riders can hook up with other riders and do the route up to Fortuna or they can do it solo. If you leave at 8am... you should have plenty of time to get up to the hotels in Fortuna by 6pm. I would suggest that you book a room ASAP if you are going.

Don Amador, QWR
Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
fchavez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax237 View Post
Never having done this kind of event before, I'm curious how it works. Is there an official start time when everyone starts riding together as a group? Or are people just riding the route whenever they want in small groups of people they already know? How is the route marked, or are we just following people who know the way? Is there some kind of meetup place on Saturday evening?
Looks like we might have to camp since the event and places to stay are filling up. Probably not a big deal to do that..
fchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
TooBadBrad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
As Don said, it's always best to ride with a buddy. Everyone is friendly, so just ask around and you'll find some like minded folks to ride with.
You leave whenever you want to before 9AM. Earlier is better. Ride at your own pace. The route isn't difficult but it is around 200 miles, so it's a full day. We haul your overnight gear and sweep the course, providing help whenever possible. You should carry basic tools, plus enough stuff to fix a flat. A front tube will work in either tire.
You navigate by GPS or a map with directions. We provide the map and tracks.

This is a great event to break into dual sport events of for those who just aren't up to a harder ride.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
poomero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I wish I was able to go. I am in a wedding that weekend. Ride safe everyone.
poomero is offline   Reply With Quote