ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
The Tucson ADVriders have a couple of threads to help bring area riders together. This thread (TABB) is to promote the Tucson meet up, plan rides, and generally have a good time. This has lead to lots of rides and meeting/making good friends among the Tucson ADVrider community.

Tucson ADVrider meet-n-greet info:

Where??

Red Garter
http://redgartertucson.com
3143 E. Speedway Blvd. (just east of Country Club)

When??

6:30 PM - every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month[/COLOR]

Tucson Area Ride Thread (TART):
The second thread is a more rigid (in theory, we'll see what happens in practice) thread that is used to post specific rides and the details such as where , when, meeting point etc.

TART - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607236

The idea is that when a ride starts to congel in the TABB, the initiator will post up the final details in the TART. Riders can then just check the TART and find out about upcoming rides in the area (and beyond) without wading throught the daily banter of the big thread. I encourage you to take part in this thread as I'm convince that the daily contact with all the riders in this thread is what keeps the rides flowing.

Tucson Area Tool Exchange:
The Tucson riders have started a tool exchange so if you have some tools to loan or need a tool to do some maintenance check out this thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12280870

Russ
1990 R100 GSPD

russbryant screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 08:06 AM
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Anyone want to take a long dirt ride during vacation later this year?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Anyone want to take a long dirt ride during vacation later this year?
I was thinking of maybe doing at least part of the Continental Divide Trail. What ya got in mind? I'm pretty open as to the where part. How long (days) are you thinkin' ?

Russ
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down
russ:

That is a great idea... maybe you should start a thread (and throw a link here) to find out what works out for the majority to name a time and a place. Nimbus is always a great place to meet up, but I'm good with whatever.

Will do. Give me a couple of days.

Russ
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gmoney*
Gardner Canyon Saturday Ride 1/24/09

Jim and I are going to Gardner Canyon Saturday
Meet at the first mail Boxes between mile marker 53 and 52(East Side) on Hwy 83 at 11am Saturday.
I have a class to attend (becoming a Safety Steward for the SCCA) or I would be there. At least till the going gets non-street tire friendly...

Nimbus is where the SCCA had their annual banquet, I was surprised at how good the food was and might even try a beer there next time.
Mama's pizza is where the monthly meet is done for the SCCA, that is the only other meeting place I know of that would be OK for a group (not too noisy or busy).
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
MonkeyPlunger
Detroit 9fiddy adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down
MP:

Do you live in Green Valley or Corona de Tucson? I would really like to see the route for the ride you mentioned... sounds like a big ride, and lots of fun too.
I forgot to update my profile to change from Green Valley to Corona de Tucson. Here is a preliminary plan when i lived in green valley. I hope the link works as it came out pretty long.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.230469&z=10

I went with another group a while back the went from tucson via reddington pass to san maneul and then around to take some 4x4 trail up the back side of mt. lemmon and back to tucson. it was a blast and would not mind doing agian.

Last weekend i went camping up mt graham (in my truck) and would like to plan a motorcycle camping trip up back there in the early spring.

I am pretty much up to any ride. Unfortunaly i have the same illness that seems to be cronic with many others. i have not been able to find a cure for this illness. the only thing in know about this illness is that it is called WORK. I have subscribed to this thread and will make an effort to check often, and to plan a ride.

2005 KTM 950 - schwarz
2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited - SOLD :(
MonkeyPlunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Hipster-Dufus
Swim the East River

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPlunger
I forgot to update my profile to change from Green Valley to Corona de Tucson. Here is a preliminary plan when i lived in green valley. I hope the link works as it came out pretty long.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.230469&z=10

I went with another group a while back the went from tucson via reddington pass to san maneul and then around to take some 4x4 trail up the back side of mt. lemmon and back to tucson. it was a blast and would not mind doing agian.

Last weekend i went camping up mt graham (in my truck) and would like to plan a motorcycle camping trip up back there in the early spring.

I am pretty much up to any ride. Unfortunaly i have the same illness that seems to be cronic with many others. i have not been able to find a cure for this illness. the only thing in know about this illness is that it is called WORK. I have subscribed to this thread and will make an effort to check often, and to plan a ride.
I would be interested in that, depending on how difficult the roads are. I stink offroad and as you know the 990 is no light beast. I'm looking to get the first service done next weekend in PHX (performance wants $600+) and I am up for a ride on Saturday, Feb 7.

Nothing beats a Butter Shave
Hipster-Dufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyPlunger
very tasty...
i'll be checking this thread, as i'm not too far away from tucson.
definitely within striking distance of even just a day ride.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 AM   #9
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant
I was thinking of maybe doing at least part of the Continental Divide Trail. What ya got in mind? I'm pretty open as to the where part. How long (days) are you thinkin' ?

Russ
Wanting to do all of it starting from here and picking the trail proper in Silver City. I want to deviate some in Colorado for what i think would be a better ride.

On the return leg I want to go thru some of Idaho and Nevada and pick up the Pony Express trail in Utah. Then pick up the Great Western Trail in north central Utah. Follow the GWT on into AZ.

No exact details worked out yet. Just an idea so far. Doing the CDT, parts of the ICT ( idaho centennial trail ) and GWT on one ride would be a real hoot.

I will have roughly 25 days for this and hit the asphalt on occasion if necessary on the return leg. Thinking Aug/Sept.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 840
Gmoney-

I'm not sure I'll be able to make this one, but I'll try...

MP-

That route looks cool! The only part I've not done is the stretch between Amado and Patagonia. You could even bypass Whitehouse Canyon Rd. and go toward Helvetia from Box Canyon...
The loop from Reddington to San Manuel up to Summerhaven is a really nice ride. Once the control road is opened up again we'll have to dial something in.

Hip-

$600+ for the first service!? I take that they are just doing a oil/filter change, valve check, and a simple check of nuts & bolts. Man... you could buy all the necessary stuff to take care of that yourself and still have money left over for beer and farkles!!
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Wanting to do all of it starting from here and picking the trail proper in Silver City. I want to deviate some in Colorado for what i think would be a better ride.

On the return leg I want to go thru some of Idaho and Nevada and pick up the Pony Express trail in Utah. Then pick up the Great Western Trail in north central Utah. Follow the GWT on into AZ.

No exact details worked out yet. Just an idea so far. Doing the CDT, parts of the ICT ( idaho centennial trail ) and GWT on one ride would be a real hoot.

I will have roughly 25 days for this and hit the asphalt on occasion if necessary on the return leg. Thinking Aug/Sept.
WestFest 2009 is in Buena Vista CO this year... May wanna think about riding up to or back from it.

Check it out up above!

M
Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Man, one of these days I'll have to gear up my BRP, or add a damned BMW to my fleet for those long azzz slab rides.

The GV, Patagonia, Sonoita, Greaterville loop looks like fun, though. :)
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
russbryant OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
WestFest 2009 is in Buena Vista CO this year... May wanna think about riding up to or back from it.

Check it out up above!

M
I've been considering taking an extra long ride up to BV for WestFest. I've wanted to attend since I got my bike a couple of years ago. It will all depend on if and when we go to Singapore/Malaysia this year as that will eat up a huge chunk of vacation days.

Russ
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 753
I'll be moving to Tucson in the next 6 onths to a year. Avra valley area. Any race tracks in that area? looking to bring my race bike with me and would rather not have it rot in the garage. any other Pegdraggers live out that way?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
LUK-E-RDR
Beginning Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 14
Sahuarita Rider Interested!

I'm interested in rides around this area. I'm new to the longer distance kinda thing, not too excited about roads as I fear people in cars (but plated my green beast nonetheless)... would love to get out and have people show me the ropes. Interested in riding almost anytime with some notice. PM me if you're also interested.

Happy Riding :)
LUK-E-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote