ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #1516
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,925
That sound like a great idea!

Congrats to Joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I'm tentatively in for the Long Way Up ride. If anyone else is as sick and twisted as I am, I'd like to start somewhere like The Wild Horse and take the back roads to Mayer. Joy might be able to drive a support truck if we decide not to do this as a 2-up trip on the 950.

BTW, Joy just found out that she passed her CFP (Certified Financial Planner) test that she has been working on for ~2-1/2 years!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #1517
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
I'm tentatively in for the Long Way Up ride. If anyone else is as sick and twisted as I am, I'd like to start somewhere like The Wild Horse and take the back roads to Mayer. Joy might be able to drive a support truck if we decide not to do this as a 2-up trip on the 950.

BTW, Joy just found out that she passed her CFP (Certified Financial Planner) test that she has been working on for ~2-1/2 years!
Congrat's to her.

We were riding fast last year in order to make it time wise, I don't think you can cut over the Mtn from Wild horse in time and I like fast riding. You'll have plenty of saddle time on this ride by slabbing it part way.
Nuclieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #1518
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,873
I'm just trying to think of a good way to keep off of I-17 because I really hate riding it. Would going up 7-Springs to Bloody Basin and over to Mayer be faster (than Wild Horse to Mayer the back way)?

Yardstick screwed with this post 05-20-2009 at 10:01 AM
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #1519
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
I'm just trying to think of a good way to keep off of I-17 because I really hate riding it. Would going up 7-Springs to Bloody Basin and over to Mayer be faster?
Faster????

A better idea than the freeway, certainly.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #1520
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Sorry, I was referring to my earlier post. I don't want to take I-17 if I can avoid it. Starting from Wild Horse and going the back way to Mayer sounds like fun, but 7-Springs to Bloody Basin might be faster.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #1521
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Guess I ride to much freeway all the time so it doesn't bother me, but consider by the time you get from Chandler to Wild Horse you've already ridden the worst part of the freeway's. From Carefree highway on up is not at all bad traffic wise early in the morning and outbound. Always leave yourself an escape route and you should be good to go.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #1522
Chick4KLRs OP
Adventure in my Soul

Oddometer: 522
FaceBook

SDSR now has a FaceBook Account. Updated with pictures.

Register and add Southwest Dual Sport Riders as a Friend.

http://www.facebook.com/southwest+du...e.php?ref=home

Living life, making friends...one rider at a time. ~Richard (1916-2007)

Chick4KLRs screwed with this post 05-20-2009 at 11:51 AM
Chick4KLRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #1523
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Sorry, I was referring to my earlier post. I don't want to take I-17 if I can avoid it. Starting from Wild Horse and going the back way to Mayer sounds like fun, but 7-Springs to Bloody Basin might be faster.
We suppose to meet on I-17 & Bell rd at 5:00am & takes off at exactly 5:30am , you actually gonna be way behind timewise , & in a ride like that one time is at z essence , trust me Allen i hate freeways too. But we have to use them on & off this time . I like to keep z group all together to avoid any mishaps or miscommunications like what happen 2 or 3 months ago u remember u were there in that ride .
I don't like to alter z plan on a ride like this .
Congrats to Joy's CFP.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #1524
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Z Long Way Up 2009 -Phx -Az

CONTINUE FOR POST #1507

It get to my attention that some riders (me included) have extra baggages like tools , parts , gas, sleepin'& shower stuff etc... u know what i mean , i thought we can meet z chase truck on Friday afternoon (june 12) at pre-arrange location to load up our stuff so we don't have to worry about it Sat. morning . i am working on putting z route for z chase truck & meeting locations very soon . So that one of many reasons we cannot ALTER the route .
I worked on this ride since last year , + i spent many hours on mapping & observing (sat. images) that ride this year to apply differents mods. Therefore WE DO NOT ALTER THE PLAN on this ride . If u read post #1507 in Ride Description , i wrote we must AVOID any unecessary stops , meaning we need every minute to complete our trajectory . On z other hand if we have to alter z route during the ride we all go together with notification to chase truck .
I think that's a better way for all riders to stick together and have a safer ride .
CP are : 1st in Mayer - Gas + snacks 10-12 min
: 2nd in Jerome Gas ( cahse truck) 5-7min.
: 3rd Spring Valley rd ( crossin' over z Hwy 40) gas+lunch
~ 1 hour
: 4th intersection FS144 & Hwy180 gas + bikes check .
~10min .
: 5th Az 64 E. Rim rd & Cocconino Rim rd Gas+Relaxation
35-45min.
: 6th Hwy89&Gray Mtn Truck trail. Gas+Bikes Check ~10m
: 7th FR151(N. Hard Prairie rd) & Hwy180 To celebrate z finish line as much minutes as u like.
And from there we get to z Hotel & if we still have some energy left WELL LET Z PARTY BEGIN
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #1525
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Oddometer: 601
June 13th - 14 th Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
CONTINUE FOR POST #1507

It get to my attention that some riders (me included) have extra baggages like tools , parts , gas, sleepin'& shower stuff etc... u know what i mean , i thought we can meet z chase truck on Friday afternoon (june 12) at pre-arrange location to load up our stuff so we don't have to worry about it Sat. morning . i am working on putting z route for z chase truck & meeting locations very soon . So that one of many reasons we cannot ALTER the route .
I worked on this ride since last year , + i spent many hours on mapping & observing (sat. images) that ride this year to apply differents mods. Therefore WE DO NOT ALTER THE PLAN on this ride . If u read post #1507 in Ride Description , i wrote we must AVOID any unecessary stops , meaning we need every minute to complete our trajectory . On z other hand if we have to alter z route during the ride we all go together with notification to chase truck .
I think that's a better way for all riders to stick together and have a safer ride .
CP are : 1st in Mayer - Gas + snacks 10-12 min
: 2nd in Jerome Gas ( cahse truck) 5-7min.
: 3rd Spring Valley rd ( crossin' over z Hwy 40) gas+lunch
~ 1 hour
: 4th intersection FS144 & Hwy180 gas + bikes check .
~10min .
: 5th Az 64 E. Rim rd & Cocconino Rim rd Gas+Relaxation
35-45min.
: 6th Hwy89&Gray Mtn Truck trail. Gas+Bikes Check ~10m
: 7th FR151(N. Hard Prairie rd) & Hwy180 To celebrate z finish line as much minutes as u like.
And from there we get to z Hotel & if we still have some energy left WELL LET Z PARTY BEGIN
Thank you Eddy for all your hard work in planning this ride, it should be fun. With that said I would also suggest that due to the extensive logistics involved with this ride, (i.e. chase vehicles, gas, and such) that we incorporate an R.S.V.P for this ride so that we can get a head count. If you are truely going to make it please R.S.V.P. me @ southwestdualsportriders@yahoo.com

(Co-founder: Southwest Dual Sport Riders)

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

Ride it like you stole it!!

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown, is the belief that one's work is terribly important!" - Bertrand Russell

Old Punks never die, we just change the color of our Mohawks.

Makakoa85032 screwed with this post 05-20-2009 at 07:47 PM
Makakoa85032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #1526
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,925
I just checked my GPS logs for travel times...

Wild Horse to Mayer - 4 hours 15 minutes

Tatum & 101 to Cordes Junction - 2 hours 15 minutes

I-17 & Bell to Mayer (slab) - 45 minutes

You would have to leave pre-dawn to meet up with Eddy in Mayer at the correct time. :(

tz

Quote:

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #1527
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker

You would have to leave pre-dawn to meet up with Eddy in Mayer at the correct time. :(

tz
And really be hauling the mail in the dark... I'd do it as a ride but not as PART of this ride. Not a safe idea IMHO but then again I do silly things from time to time. LOL
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #1528
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 506
First, let me thank all of you for your emails and messages concerning the loss of my dog. I appreciate your thoughts and friendship during this difficult time.

Second, I've been looking at the "Long Way Up" ride maps. After calculating the milage proposed on the first day I find that we would be attempting to ride about 340 miles, most of it in the dirt. (Milage calculated from I-17 & Bell to Falgsatff). To accomplish this milage in a 12 hour period of time, riders would have to maintain an average speed of 28 MPH without stops. I don't care to ride that fast for that long. This might be a great ride if spread over a longer period of time. I might be alone in my thinking, but I ride off road to enjoy my bike and enjoy the magnificent Arizona Country side. At the above speeds I don't think I would be able to see anything but the road in front of me.
sw3dl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #1529
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

No doubt it is a challenging ride (did it last year) but one thats a blast to do. We missed our goal last year by a few miles due to a big thunderstorm that caught up to us but we did have plenty of time left to reach the goal and we even had a nice sit down lunch at the I-40 crossing.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #1530
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker
I just checked my GPS logs for travel times...

Wild Horse to Mayer - 4 hours 15 minutes

Tatum & 101 to Cordes Junction - 2 hours 15 minutes

I-17 & Bell to Mayer (slab) - 45 minutes

tz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclieye
And really be hauling the mail in the dark... I'd do it as a ride but not as PART of this ride. Not a safe idea IMHO but then again I do silly things from time to time. LOL
You know you guys are just making it more enticing, right?