ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #1576
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakoa85032
??

One of the functions of this club is to assist those persons who want to enter this sport in gaining skills and knowledge to practice this sport in a safe manner. We have riders of all skill levels and those who are more experienced are more than willing to assist those with lessor skills in improving their skills. Prior to March 2008 I had never ridden a Dual Sport Motorcycle, and the only off road experience I had was on 3 wheels and 4x4. So don't worry about being a noob as there was always that first day for everyone.
+1

This 'club' is LOADED with riders who are quite advanced in their ADV skill level. AND, the best thing is they are quite generous in sharing their knowledge regarding off-road riding on two wheels and fixing the assorted breakdowns along the way.

I should know ... my riding skills are horrible & my D/S bike is old and breaks frequently. On many rides, others have given me valuable instruction and technical assistance to keep my bike and I going.

Thanks to all.

I'm planning on tearing into the XRL today to find the cause of it's lack of top end power. Hopefully, it'll be fixed, shakendown, and ready for the big G.C. ride.

Sorry about missing coffee yesterday, but I met up with 16 other bikes south of Tucson at 0700 & took the SV on a 300 mile round trip to Arivaca. You guys missed a really nice street ride!

- R

ta2rob screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 11:39 AM
ta2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #1577
Blue Streak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith
i live near 52nd street and the 202, and like to go up the 87 to get out of town easily, or out on the 60 towards florence junction area sometimes. my girlfriend is up north on the 51 and bell road, so sometimes i'll go up to prescott, sedona, jerome, flag, etc. too.

i work from home, so i can take some weekdays off occasionally, but ussually will be riding weekends.

i know nothing about riding in dirt on 2 wheels, so eager to do a some small learning rides first!
Figures you live on the opposite side of town. I'm off of the very northwest corner of the 101 loop. 91st ave and union hills.

Let me know when you're out at your GF's and want to do some riding on this side.

I'm sure there will be lots of riding up north this summer.

Cheers,
Darin
Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #1578
Dietrich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Help...

I have only been getting 25-30mpg with my KLR 650. The only thing I have done is to install a slip-on pipe to her. I didn't notice the sudden increase in fuel consumption either when I did.

My first reaction is to get her jetted. Anyone else have any IDEAS???? I need to get her ready for the GC Ride.

Thanks,
Dietrich
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #1579
Blue Streak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich
I have only been getting 25-30mpg with my KLR 650. The only thing I have done is to install a slip-on pipe to her. I didn't notice the sudden increase in fuel consumption either when I did.

My first reaction is to get her jetted. Anyone else have any IDEAS???? I need to get her ready for the GC Ride.

Thanks,
Dietrich
I've got an idea for you. Put a turbo on it. It'll get cleaner fuel burn.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #1580
redeye-az
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
i had a klr with a little better mileage, but i fixed it.......

i got a ktm 690e (fuel injection, ya know)
last weekend, from flagstaff to payson,
elevation loss ride,
with tourtech hard boxes (windage/weight),
runnin' a little above speed limits,
good chevron fuel,
map setting, 3.
i got 64.9 mpg...
wooowhhoooo.. !!!!.......db
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #1581
clcrisler
n00b

Oddometer: 2
new to this site

Hi all. I'm new to this site. Been wanting to get together with the group but Sundays just don't work for me. I bought an '09 KLR in November and have been itching to ride it more often than just to work and back.

Does anyone have any quick and dirty rides planned for this coming Saturday (dirt or street)? Would love to join in.
clcrisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #1582
SonnyAZ
DesertDweller

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB
Sonny,

It would be great if you could make this run. Looks like we are now short a V-Strorm ;) The deal with Saturday is we are planning on departing around 8:30-9:00am from Springerville. It is about 4hr ride to Springerville from the valley, especially if you take the scenic route through Payson. This is why we are wanting to head up Friday. IMHO, I think you will enjoy the run a lot more if you start from up there, even if you arrive in the PM on Friday. We can keep a beer on ice for you Friday night :)

-D
OK. I'll see what the rest of this week goes like. Getting my front forks done, my finances and the pain in my backside. I messed it up last week and its been hurting ever since. Just that short easy ride yesterday with Logan and NY Gary was painful.
Are you guys going to be camping or what?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #1583
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich

Thanks,
Dietrich
Pipe does affect it but not by too much , what kind of gearing do u have ? open ur air box maybe?
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #1584
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Z Long way Up 09

Chase truck route will posted soon .
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #1585
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2rob
You guys missed a really nice street ride!
Darn it. I missed the Tucson ride for this:

Antelope Canyon

Cedar Breaks

Zion

Hey- This on road stuff is pretty cool.

191 next weekend?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #1586
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAZ
OK. I'll see what the rest of this week goes like. Getting my front forks done, my finances and the pain in my backside. I messed it up last week and its been hurting ever since. Just that short easy ride yesterday with Logan and NY Gary was painful.
Are you guys going to be camping or what?
I just bought a bunch of camping gear from REI but it will not all be here in time for this ride so we are motelin' at the Rode Inn in Springerville. The special rate is $59/night (ask for motorcycle group rate) and includes a really nice breakfast (from the reviews I've read).

We got a room for Friday and Saturday night so there is no presure to push it.

Sorry too hear about your pains. If you are feeling up to it I think you will find it well worth it! The 2nd part of the loop (Hwy 191) is the most fun you will have on twisties in AZ or anywhere near.

-D

CrozB screwed with this post 05-26-2009 at 07:17 PM
CrozB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #1587
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by clcrisler
Hi all. I'm new to this site. Been wanting to get together with the group but Sundays just don't work for me. I bought an '09 KLR in November and have been itching to ride it more often than just to work and back.

Does anyone have any quick and dirty rides planned for this coming Saturday (dirt or street)? Would love to join in.
You are welcome to join us any time, there is always someone in the club riding on Saturday's as well as other times of the week, so keep checking the thread. Grats on the purchase!

(Co-founder: Southwest Dual Sport Riders)

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

Ride it like you stole it!!

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown, is the belief that one's work is terribly important!" - Bertrand Russell

Old Punks never die, we just change the color of our Mohawks.
Makakoa85032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #1588
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Thumb Change of meeting location!!!!!! Sunday May 31st 2009

Kuulei and I have been discussing a change to the meeting location. We have decided on the McDonald's on the Northeast corner of Tatum and Bell Road behind the Circle K and in the same parking lot as the Fry's. This location offers us a place to sit inside out of the heat (very large seating area), a large parking lot for many bikes, and has a fueling stop on the same corner. If we are riding out after the meeting, we can grab a quick bite and a cup and not have to ride all over the place to do these things, plus this location still offers the convenience of location with the same quick access to the 51 or 101. This change will take affect on Sunday May 31st 2009 and the time will remain the same 8:00 am. Please make a note of this so those of you who have your auto pilot set to Starbucks can make the switch.

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown, is the belief that one's work is terribly important!" - Bertrand Russell

Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #1589
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Safety Gear Cheap

To all,

Yesterday I picked up a 661 Chest Guard at "Play it again Sports" for $24.95. This Chest Guard normally retails new for $104.00. So if you have a "Play it again Sports" store near you it might be worth checking out. I also saw a pair of "Thor" boots at the store for $40.00 that normally retail for around $160.00, but since I already have a pair of white boots I passed on them.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations.aspx?s=AZ

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #1590
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
Darn it. I missed the Tucson ride for this:

Antelope Canyon

Cedar Breaks

Zion

Hey- This on road stuff is pretty cool.