ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #1591
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich
I have only been getting 25-30mpg with my KLR 650. The only thing I have done is to install a slip-on pipe to her. I didn't notice the sudden increase in fuel consumption either when I did.

My first reaction is to get her jetted. Anyone else have any IDEAS???? I need to get her ready for the GC Ride.

Thanks,
Dietrich
D- That is abnormally low fuel mileage, even for a singletrack KLR rider. More details are needed... what year? What was your mpg before the slip-on? If you bought the bike used, was it fitted with aftermarket jets at any point? If not, then re-jetting is not going to improve your mileage. Jumping to a smaller jet than stock is probably not advised. If it was fitted with a fatter jet, then the carb slide was probably drilled as well. These mods are permanent.

If it's an older bike then there may be a flooding issue in the carb which is just sending way too much gas. I think you'd notice performance issues aside from the mileage. Also, make sure you don't have a fuel leak somewhere. Losing gas will make you think you're getting worse economy than you really are.

Provide some more detail and maybe we can work this out. The KLR uses a very simple system.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #1592
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
D- That is abnormally low fuel mileage, even for a singletrack KLR rider. More details are needed... what year? What was your mpg before the slip-on? If you bought the bike used, was it fitted with aftermarket jets at any point? If not, then re-jetting is not going to improve your mileage. Jumping to a smaller jet than stock is probably not advised. If it was fitted with a fatter jet, then the carb slide was probably drilled as well. These mods are permanent.

If it's an older bike then there may be a flooding issue in the carb which is just sending way too much gas. I think you'd notice performance issues aside from the mileage. Also, make sure you don't have a fuel leak somewhere. Losing gas will make you think you're getting worse economy than you really are.

Provide some more detail and maybe we can work this out. The KLR uses a very simple system.
None of the well known carb mod's are permanent but none of them will cause that poor of mileage either. Feel free to call me after 2:00 and we'll figure it out nothing on a KLR is difficult to figure out or fix. 602-714-4996
Nuclieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #1593
PHXBUELL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Wr450

Anyone here ride a WR450 or like? I just got mine all legal but was not sure if my limited mileage would allow me to keep up on some of the trips. I may need to loose the stock tank and go w/ a 3.2 gal.
PHXBUELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #1594
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclieye
None of the well known carb mod's are permanent but none of them will cause that poor of mileage either. Feel free to call me after 2:00 and we'll figure it out nothing on a KLR is difficult to figure out or fix. 602-714-4996
Drilling the carb slide is permanent. You can't un-drill a piece of metal. Putting stock jets and needle back in may not help if the needle hole has been drilled out. The goal of the drilling, afterall, is to allow more fuel, right?

Otherwise, I agree with you. Mine is old, jetted fat, geared for hills, and I have an aggressive wrist (no jokes)... I still get 40 mpg.

Surely it's something simple.
-DustyRags
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #1595
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXBUELL
Anyone here ride a WR450 or like? I just got mine all legal but was not sure if my limited mileage would allow me to keep up on some of the trips. I may need to loose the stock tank and go w/ a 3.2 gal.
Go Clarke on this bike. Had both IMS & Clarke!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #1596
Dietrich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I picked up the 06' with 98 miles on her. Yes, she sat a LOT. She now has 1700 miles on her.

I just dropped her off @ the Kaw deler. They're going to re-jet her, along with diagnose maybe a stuck float, bad carbs, etc. I figure while they're in there they might as well re-jet it.

THANKS for everyone's input!

D
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #1597
Brain
mr. self destruct

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
Drilling the carb slide is permanent. You can't un-drill a piece of metal. Putting stock jets and needle back in may not help if the needle hole has been drilled out. The goal of the drilling, afterall, is to allow more fuel, right?

Otherwise, I agree with you. Mine is old, jetted fat, geared for hills, and I have an aggressive wrist (no jokes)... I still get 40 mpg.

Surely it's something simple.
There are hills in Oklahoma?

On a serious note. My mother (she's 80) is from Tulsa and she wants to go back for a visit of the downtown area. What would be a good time of year weather wise for a visit?

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #1598
SonnyAZ
DesertDweller

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB
The 2nd part of the loop (Hwy 191) is the most fun you will have on twisties in AZ or anywhere near.

-D
I'll have to see what the rest of the week looks like. I should know by Thurs., although I probably won't make it to Springerville Fri. Eve. I don't get off work until 4:00.
Maybe we can meet sometime Sat. AM at 3 Way, down at the Southern end of the loop.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #1599
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 616
04WR450 Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXBUELL
I have a Acerbis Ntrl. 3.3 Gal. on mine, See Photo Post #1481 Got it from Chaparral Motorsports $202.98 Two Days.
Did Have to Change to 03-05 YZ 450 Radiator Shrouds with this tank

B
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #1600
68jules
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I didnt know there was a dual sport club....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakoa85032
??

One of the functions of this club is to assist those persons who want to enter this sport in gaining skills and knowledge to practice this sport in a safe manner. We have riders of all skill levels and those who are more experienced are more than willing to assist those with lessor skills in improving their skills. Prior to March 2008 I had never ridden a Dual Sport Motorcycle, and the only off road experience I had was on 3 wheels and 4x4. So don't worry about being a noob as there was always that first day for everyone.
Wow, I really need to get out more often I guess. This group seems to be just what I am looking for.
I ride a R1200GS and a FLSTN and am interested in finding others interested in something other than just riding to the nearest bar. I am 61 and live in Scottsdale. I try to take a trip each year on my bike and ride just about every weekend. Last year I did Prudehoe Bay and so far this year I have gone to the east coast to ride the smokies. The attached picture was taken of me goijng through the Dragons Tain in TN. (that was a blast!)
When and where do you guys meet next?Name:  jaydragon 004.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  74.7 KB
68jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #1601
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,838
Z Long Way Up 2009 -Phx -Az

Chase truck route for Day 1 :

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7&ie=UTF8&z=14http:// here

with an exception stops at ballon C- for 2 min , E- 1 hour for lunch , and F -5 to 10 min check up .

Chase truck route for Day 2 :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2,0.66124&z=11http:// here
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #1602
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jules
Wow, I really need to get out more often I guess. This group seems to be just what I am looking for.
I ride a R1200GS and a FLSTN and am interested in finding others interested in something other than just riding to the nearest bar. I am 61 and live in Scottsdale. I try to take a trip each year on my bike and ride just about every weekend. Last year I did Prudehoe Bay and so far this year I have gone to the east coast to ride the smokies. The attached picture was taken of me goijng through the Dragons Tain in TN. (that was a blast!)
When and where do you guys meet next?Attachment 207322
For meetin' infos. ,Check out post #1590 on p. 106 (previous page)
& Welcome ...
Peace .
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #1603
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain
There are hills in Oklahoma?

On a serious note. My mother (she's 80) is from Tulsa and she wants to go back for a visit of the downtown area. What would be a good time of year weather wise for a visit?
The hills here in OK are like the flat spots in AZ. The gears are for the Ozark mountains in Arkansas, I guess.

As for the weather, that's a funny request. Our weather here is SO variable, even the professionals are really just guessing. Tornadoes, ice storms, etc. are the norm. We had 20+ days in a row with rain recently. This week it's unseasonably cool- low 80's all week with a nice breeze. We'll hit the 100+ temps sometime soon with 90% humidity. I've seen 40 degree temperature swings in one day. So, to answer your question- I have no clue.
-DustyRags
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #1604
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos

Cedar Breaks

Zion

Hey- This on road stuff is pretty cool.
You do really clean panoramic photos. I have tried but the lighting from picture 1 to 2 to 3 is just different enough that the tends to be a shadow of sorts at the joints.

Anyway, very nice pictures!!!

-D
Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #1605
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Friday's Route to Springerville

The route I have planned for Friday is not the most direct route but it is the most scenic and doesn’t add too much time to the trek up there.

Starting in Fountain Hills we will follow the Beeline Hwy through Payson then to Christopher Creek. There is a great little Café in Christopher Creek nestled right in the pines that has outdoor seating and great food. Perfect place to stop for lunch and stretch our legs.

From there it is all riding in the shade of the pines down the 260 to the 60 to Springerville.

For the condensed video version of this route click HERE:

For a Google Map of this route

click HERE:

-D