ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #7501
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
A true 1000 mile dirt route would be quite the accomplishment. Logistics would be the most difficult portion. So who is up for the challenge?
1K in the dirt would be quite challnge. If you rode a straight 24hrs without fuel stops or eating, or sleeping the average would have to be about 42 MPH. Each stop makes the average go higher. Let me know where the end is going to be, I'll come have a beer with you..
sw3dl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #7502
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAZ View Post
A Grand Endeavor Don!!!
Which bike did you ride?

I wonder how a Ural would fare in such a feat?
Thanks, Sonny.
I rode the R1200gs.
I think your Ural would do fine.
sw3dl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #7503
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
This would be a good ride, I will keep an eye out for the date to see if I could work out the time off.......
How about April 13,14,15,16??
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #7504
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3dl1 View Post
1K in the dirt would be quite challnge. If you rode a straight 24hrs without fuel stops or eating, or sleeping the average would have to be about 42 MPH. Each stop makes the average go higher. Let me know where the end is going to be, I'll come have a beer with you..
I agree whole heartedly that this would be an extremely difficult challenge. Now I didnt go so far as to say I was up for the challenge, although I am intrigued by the thought of such an accomplishment. For me, and not to lessen others accomplishments, a thousand miles non stop on the highway within 24 hours sounds about as mundane as it can be. And this has been accomplished by many. None the less, a truly respectable feat. So I am just saying that for me, a highway run at 1000 just doesnt stir the juices.

Juxtapose the highway 1000 with a ADV inspired dirt 1000, now your talking adventure, uncertainty, uncharted territory, etc..!!! Most likely this type of undertaking would take several attempts. But I really think it is possible.

As I mentioned, the logistical homework would be the largest obstacle to a realistic attempt at such a grand endeavor. The key would be to be able to piece together extended stretches of decent roadway. Roads that afforded high speed travel for great distances, as well as roads that have nearby proximity to connecting tarmac and fueling opportunities. Other issues such as wear and tear on the machine and rider, weather, mileage verification and a slew of other items would all play a part in keeping this dirt 1000 as a truly unique club to be a graduated member of.

I know that with the right equipment (950 SE) and prep (fellow SE riders are you listening?), THis can be done. Heck, just a few hours of 100mph plus would change the complection entirely. I know there are riders here who swim in these waters at times. Just maybe, Someday, if I could get some buy in, aka co-attemptee's, I would be up for a stab at this... Any Takers??
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #7505
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
I would be up for a stab at this... Any Takers??
If you do
I'll be with Don at the finish line with a stocked cooler and some pom poms.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #7506
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
If you do
I'll be with Don at the finish line with a stocked cooler and some pom poms.
Pom Poms as in cheerleaders, or Bon Bons, as in chocolate covered ice cream??

In retrospect, maybe I am talking a bit out of my arse on this. At least in this neck of the woods. Meaning that the long stretches of non technical dirt appear to be somewhat difficult to put together after a brief google earth look around.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #7507
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,084
info

IBA web site ---news & article section has a video of a DD1000 ride prep & there are many good tips for what ever ride you choose to do.

The SS1000 w/ a BB1500 (as nitestalker would say) is doable if your in around 18 hrs on your SS100 just add an additional 500mils and 12 hrs for total of 1500 in 36 hrs total ride length, score two rides in one ---SS100 & BB1500

My guess is you would not be too intersted in a ride for a week or so

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #7508
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
April and May don't look too good for me. I'll have to catch you guys on the next run.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #7509
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,913
When I did my SS the leader had put in some secondary roads and it really hurt our average. Traffic and stop signs and stop lights all kill your average. Even on the interstates there are construction zones and what not that slow you down.

I don't think you'd make it with the first loop, but the second looks doable, and you get an extra state!

tz

Quote:
I was thinking of doing a more interesting route than just jumping on the interstate and back.

My route would hit up all the bordering AZ states (except for that tiny southwestern point of Colorado) .

something like this:

View Larger Map

Ah, what the heck, make it all 5 states.

View Larger Map

That wouldn't be a problem with Terry and I.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #7510
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post

I don't think you'd make it with the first loop, but the second looks doable, and you get an extra state!

tz
I agree. The trickiest part I'm figuring would be the stretch between Cameron and 4 corners in terms of timing your fuel stops. I'm not finding much out there.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #7511
Pthurman
gunga galunga

Oddometer: 68
prescott riding this next week

Hey fella,
I live up in Prescott and just lost my riding buddy. That sounds bad. He just moved back east.

Any ways, my wife and son will be out of town from this thursday (3/29) till next Friday 4/6. You know what that means!
I just switched over from an xr650 to a ktm 525. I'll ride just about anything, but cannot promise to be the fastest out there. I consider myself to be mature and safe enough. And if I do f-up at least I'm a wilderness first responder.

Shot me a PM if you want to head up the hill for a day of hooliganing around. If you need a place to stay I can likely hook it up as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #7512
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthurman View Post
Hey fella,
I live up in Prescott and just lost my riding buddy. That sounds bad. He just moved back east.

Any ways, my wife and son will be out of town from this thursday (3/29) till next Friday 4/6. You know what that means!
I just switched over from an xr650 to a ktm 525. I'll ride just about anything, but cannot promise to be the fastest out there. I consider myself to be mature and safe enough. And if I do f-up at least I'm a wilderness first responder.

Shot me a PM if you want to head up the hill for a day of hooliganing around. If you need a place to stay I can likely hook it up as well.
I'll be in suncity for a week 4/1-4/7 to see my mom. I plan to buy a plateable trailbike when i get there and will look to do day trips during the week. i have to consult the map to see how far prescott is, i'll not have trailering capability. maybe we could meet in the middle or something.

hope to find a rfs bike but beggars cant be too choosy
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #7513
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
April is no good for me, booked to travel every week for work. I will have to pass on this one
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #7514
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
I have the same problem with April. Too busy.

-dod
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #7515
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Quote:
I agree. The trickiest part I'm figuring would be the stretch between Cameron and 4 corners in terms of timing your fuel stops. I'm not finding much out there.
There's gas in both Kayenta, and Tec Nos Pos