ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #7636
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
U can also use that route to access fr54 da nasty way ...from S Walden Blv, in Wilhoit...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...&mra=prev&z=14
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #7637
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
It's easy, from 89 u go N. on Copper Creek (fr53) that take straight to FR54. Blah blah . Here u go :
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...p=1&sz=17&z=16
That explains the dirt portion, but not the mysterious Yarnell Hill bit.

Eddy, that video made the dirt section look very BBF, is that correct?

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #7638
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,777
The dirt section is heading south west from Camp Verde on Copper Canyon, no where near 89. The very first dirt part is on fr 54 a short distance where you come to a clearing/split & then switches out to Camp Verde.

AZ TOM screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 03:56 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #7639
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Eddy that map does not show 54 going through to 89 but it does.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #7640
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
That explains the dirt portion, but not the mysterious Yarnell Hill bit.

Eddy, that video made the dirt section look very BBF, is that correct?

S.C.
I didn't watch all the video but on google map/earth yes it look BBF.
Quote:
AZ TOM • Today 02:53 PM
Eddy that map does not show 54 going through to 89 but it does.
Tom yes i know there is a trail that lead to 89 (from fr54) but it's not labeled on Googlemaps/Erarth. U must zoom in to see it.
This will take u up to fr54 from 89 too.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.44...num=1&t=h&z=17

DR650SEDDY screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 05:56 PM
Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #7641
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Bi-weekley meeting

This Sunday is SWDRC meeting as usual 8 AM's at Dunkin Donuts S/W corner of Tatum & Bell

If any were at Overland Expo, sorry I missed you, had a great time with some special folks, Idaho Sam, of Radioman rides the world ,fame. Tiffany Coats whom you fall in love with when you hear her talk & Ara & Spirit ---9 years on the road & lots of stories there. I was helping Brandon with GO AZ booth and of course Redeye AZ was there to aggravate me I just gave it back to him and he loves it when hes got some to argue with. Any way got to talk to lots of folks, several of theAARG!! group, ran into Paul(750 volts) at a petrol stop in Payson, conned & haggled the Wolfman guys out of a cool duffel & sold a couple set of luggage for Al Jesse. All in all I had a good time, and plan on doing it again next year

See ya all Sunday!!

Arizona OHV Ambassador

BELSTAFF screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 09:10 PM Reason: add in
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7642
CNRED
It'll be OK

Oddometer: 552
June 3 2012 Meeting

Today is Sunday, June 3, 2012. If you consider yourself a member of the Southwest Duel Sport Rider's Club, or follow the Postings on Adventure Rider, you know this morning was a Club Meeting at Dunkin Donuts.
Over the past year, I'm sure most all of you have noticed a lack of interest in this Club and it's activities, or lack thereof. I have. Jeff has been the only peoson at the last three meetings (?) I have attended. The Club has slipped off the front page of the Western Region thread of this fourm and these days is found floundering around back at page four or five. It seems we have lost our fire to be a club that nurtures club members of vairing degrees of ability to a group of people who from time to time type something into the computer and call it good.
I was around when the club first started. The days when we met at the Starbucks then the McDonald's. The days when we actually met with each other, talked, told lies, looked at bikes and yes even rode together. I remember when it did not matter how fast you could ride or what your skill level was, we would take care of you, see that you completed the ride safely. No one really cared how good of a rider you were, everyone had a good time. We looked out for each other.
It seems we have lost our fire. I am as much to blame as any one else.
Jeff, I commend you in your effort to keep this Club together, but it seems you are the only one that reallly cares, I believe you are unappreciated. Go buy the F650 and join the BMW riders group, they will recognize your enthuasiam.
I know I have offened some of you, I know there will be I unfavorable threads written and maybe scathing e-mail, I don't care. I believe I needed to speak my mind. Over the years I have seen many riders come and leave our club. Some very good people. Some very good riders. Some not so good at either. But they came, they associated with us, and for some reason left.
I believe I am done.
I hope to see some of you on the trails and roads.
Don
1982 Honda GL1100 - X2

CNRED screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 12:42 PM
CNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #7643
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,079
Well said

Your comments are spot on. I have only been down to the meet ups a few times and found them to be more a waste of time than anything. Riding nearly an hour one way makes it not worth the trip when no one rides and nothing is going on but coffee and BS.

I would be up for a once a month meeting and would also be willing to organize a ride following if the group wanted to do something like that. The meeting would be in the area the ride is taking off from and the whole same place in town thing done away with.

My two cents....
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #7644
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Good point Don, on the 20th of May (last meeting) it was only me & AlphaBETAdog (Steve). I was there trying to discuss the details of my next ride (was on the 28th of May). I felt the same way, did riders lost interest in riding? i know it can be boring for some. It could be also that some riders has other stuff going on in their lifes . I am working 7 days/week right now, it's so difficult for me to do anything else not to mention riding. An if this this not enough to keep me busy i got a young man in my life that keeps me even busier and he's my # 1 priority now. So i am slacking back yes. I like to keep that Club going and i salute Jeff big time for his effort. I try alway to post my ride on this Thread first if i can't make it to the meeting on Sunday. Sorry i couidn't make it today because i got sun poison on my lips (big blisters) from my last ride and i look like Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter ...
Old 06-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #7645
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
You confused me by going down Yarnell Hill at the beginning of the video and then running up 89 the other way.

Anyway, where do you jump off 89 to pick up that dirt road? Looks like a good ride.

S.C.
HA! The secrets of video editing. I ran up/down/up Yarnell hill, but the up shots really weren't that compelling. The single lane going down was way more appealing.

I also cheated on the dirt road section. I jumped off 89 onto FR54, but then I cut over to Copper Canyon to finish off the video.

So, the scenes in the video are a little out of order, but it plays back well. And, since only a few people will really recognize those spots, no one is the wiser for it.

Hollywood is so fake!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #7646
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
It's easy, from 89 u go N. on Copper Creek (fr53) that take straight to FR54. Blah blah . Here u go :
Copper Canyon runs from Camp Verde south to the top of the hill. You end up coming out on I-17 across from SR 169.

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC
Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #7647
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

My thoughts on the SWDSR Club.

I think it's a great idea to try to get like minded people together and plan activities for the group. That's what happens on this board and in this thread. It's hard to sacrifice a day of riding, or a good portion of a day of riding to hang out and talk about riding. People are generally busy with their own life, or watching TV. Maybe switching the meeting time to a weeknight and a different venue would increase participation. I know that I would be much more likely to show up for A beer and some bar food after work then burning precious weekend time. Cornbread Red had a great thing going with dinner and TT Roadhouse for quite some time. Once he fell off the scene, so did Tuesday night bike nights. CrashDBad gets it going from time to time, but since it's short notice and irregular, everyone already has other plans.

On a similar but different note:

I think it's pretty disappointing with the number of people that live in the greater Phoenix area that there isn't multiple rides posted for every weekend!

Those who do host rides understand the amount of work that goes into putting a ride together and weight of the responsibility for the well being of the group that show up for your ride. It's so much easier to just call or email your regular riding buddies whose abilities and expectations you are already familiar with. Of course, not everyone is equipped to put a ride together, and that's not a bad thing.

Not every ride will be perfect, and something unexpected can always happen that side track a ride.

I don't have the answer. I just do my thing the best I can and value the long term and short term buddypals I make from ADVRider. I hope to continue doing it for as long as I can!

North American

NSRides.com

snug htiw swoC
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #7648
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,079
Evening meetups

I would be up for evening meet ups... and then a night ride now the heat is here
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #7649
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
The dirt section is heading south west from Camp Verde on Copper Canyon, no where near 89. The very first dirt part is on fr 54 a short distance where you come to a clearing/split & then switches out to Camp Verde.
I think I might have been PDC. Pretty Damm Close
Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #7650
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,727
bike night

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote