ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #8671
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
We discovered a new ride/route. Not 1 quad, Razor or othere rider the whole day. The only people we saw all day was 3 on Horseback. Much better than the crowds at CK.
Next time we will have to invite Nightstalker, Yardstick and their crew with the ropes, saws and shovels so we can push through the super secret dead end wash with the bubbling spring water .
Technically its doable right ? Just not on the SE !
I think we just need to do more night rides! VERY little traffic at night!
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #8672
OldtimerTC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
I think we just need to do more night rides! VERY little traffic at night!

Dr Dillon, Ill be needing some lights .
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #8673
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
We discovered a new ride/route. Not 1 quad, Razor or othere rider the whole day. The only people we saw all day was 3 on Horseback. Much better than the crowds at CK.
Next time we will have to invite Nightstalker, Yardstick and their crew with the ropes, saws and shovels so we can push through the super secret dead end wash with the bubbling spring water .
Technically its doable right ? Just not on the SE !
In my backyard... Buckhorn Wash, Buckhorn Trail, Buckhorn Ranch Road, where were you guys... Ohhh that right exploring. Waay too many snakes with rattles out that way this time of year! However I only know of two springs that are running. Perhaps you have found one I'm not aware of!
I rode out West of Wickenburg some Monday. I like the fewer snakes in that flat country... well... anyway you can see n commin!
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #8674
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Dr Dillon, Ill be needing some lights .
http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/...orcycle-lights

20W LED Spot Fog CREE Trail Head Light XR DRZ EXC Dirt Bike Dual Sport Supermoto (Fits: DRZ400)

LED Spot Fog CREE Trail Dual Sport Head Light For XR CRF DR-Z KLR KLX YZ BMW KTM (Fits: DRZ400)

Newly listed20w Trail lights CREE spot LED motorcycle offroad dual sport enduro head fog mx (Fits: DRZ400)

Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #8675
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
that's nothin'! wait until you see what dillon does for me!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #8676
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,759
Check out Wall Mart. They have some great lights $18 a pair.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #8677
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Well allrighty then

Not that they are Wal-Mart quality but BajaDesign had a 4-lite bar up at Overland Expo that when they lit them off a blind man could see

These little buggers were about the size of a silver dollar & four of them in a lite bar is all anyone would ever need

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #8678
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Check out Wall Mart. They have some great lights $18 a pair.
They really suck though. Compared to the LED lights that are out now they suck a lot of wattage and aren't nearly as bright. I went that route and wasn't all that impressed. LED's is the way to go.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #8679
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Personally I prefer the quality of light from HID or even incandescent over LED. I find much better color, contrast and definition from them. This is pretty well understood and documented. They aren't as efficient though, particularly incandescent... YMMV..

On some motos where I know I'll just be breaking them more than once a year, cheap can win too.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #8680
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
They really suck though. Compared to the LED lights that are out now they suck a lot of wattage and aren't nearly as bright. I went that route and wasn't all that impressed. LED's is the way to go.
The money lamp is lit. If you got em spend em
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #8681
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Personally I prefer the quality of light from HID or even incandescent over LED. I find much better color, contrast and definition from them. This is pretty well understood and documented. They aren't as efficient though, particularly incandescent... YMMV..

On some motos where I know I'll just be breaking them more than once a year, cheap can win too.
to me, when it comes to light on a moto the depth of view is more important than color. I used the $18 walmart lights for a while. Here they are. Not bad really for 18 bucks. But they draw 55 watts.

By contrast, here are the LED Aux lights. They are the same size and draw 22 watts. Check out the difference in brightness and how they light up the background much better than the incandescent lights.

I rode side by side with a buddy of mine down the 191 coming in at Springerville in pitch black darkness. He had the LED's and I had the 18 buck specials. His lights were so much brighter that mine that you couldn't even really tell when I flicked mine on and off. That prompted me to jump on the LED's and I couldn't be happier. But like you said it comes down to preference and $18 vs. +$100 is a considerable difference.

ps. LED's are nearly indestructible. You'll break 20 incandescent lights before you break one LED.

cyberdos screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 08:47 AM
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #8682
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,962
If anybody wants to play with an HID, my Trail Tech X2 HID is just sitting on a shelf. Only one bulb works currently (4" works, 2" is out). It needs a bulb and a ballast or someone with some creativity who wants to hack it up into something else. Make me an offer.

I was running the Baja Designs Squadron (4 LED, 4300 lumen) for the night ride to CK. That thing didn't slow me down much compared to my daytime speed. I figure I was running 80-90% of normal. And that was my first night ride on a trail in many, many years!
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #8683
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Cyberdos,those are the same cheapies I have but the little Yamaha has a 350 watt stator so no problem with draw. Too old & feeble to do much night riding anyway
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #8684
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Exploring

Did a little 120 mile ride yesterday, great weather. Trying to find the way through between Camp Wood/ fr21 & 97 that comes out of Kirkland. Fun terrain but ended up back where I started after a few hours. Will try it again soon.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #8685
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
to me, when it comes to light on a moto the depth of view is more important than color. I used the $18 walmart lights for a while. Here they are. Not bad really for 18 bucks. But they draw 55 watts.
I may not have been clear... Quality of the light is one discussion, cost another. If cost is not a factor, good HID's are the way to go and they will beat LED's in every way except power draw and life, although life's not really a big factor unless you run them a *lot*. Good incandescents can outperform LED's in every optical way too but will draw even more power. They are generally simpler to wire (no ballast) and less expensive than HID's though.

When I rode my old KLR I'd break any kind of light way too frequently to justify spending much on them. It's not the bulbs that get broken, it's the entire assembly. That moto was always meant to get bashed around... hard.

OTOH if I was looking for what to put on a big sport touring moto that costs tens of thousands of dollars to begin with and has more electrical than can prolly ever be used, then HID's!!

Personally, I don't like riding at night. I used to do it a lot since it would be a lot cooler and a lot less traffic. Too many close encounters with animals, debris and just the other visibility limitations... well my self-preservation instinct has sort of got me shying away these days... So that may make the higher cost options a bit more difficult to justify too...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote