ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #8701
DOD
idiot dirt rider
 
DOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,194
Ride in daylight, drink beer in darkness.

Have enough light on bike to get to beer if the ride turns "big bike friendly".





-dod
__________________
This is my only chance to assemble a disreputable past
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #8702
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbblue View Post
For another way to think about it.... Ideally lights output spectrum would be wide and flat covering all the visible frequencies (colors) and with equal intensity across all of them. Using audio as an analogy, a good music system has the same output at all frequencies you can hear, plus some, 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. If the typical LED light were music you would only hear the bass. Kinda like the overpowered crappy setups you hear at stop lights...
maybe that explains why I like the LED's so much. I used to have 2 12's, 2 10's and 4 8's stuffed into the trunk of my monte carlo when I was a teenager.

BOOM!
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #8703
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Ride in daylight, drink beer in darkness.

Have enough light on bike to get to beer if the ride turns "big bike friendly".





-dod
Excellent plan!
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #8704
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Ride in daylight, drink beer in darkness.

Have enough light on bike to get to beer if the ride turns "big bike friendly".





-dod
Finally somebody clears this up I am no longer confused I see the light
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #8705
CrashDBad
Big man, little bike
 
CrashDBad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Oddometer: 2,167
Lights

I've watched some of our friends spend thousands the past year on lights trying to improve on HID. Having seen top of the line BD LED moto race lights next to 8" BD HIDs, there is no comparison. LEDs just do not have the "throw". They will fill and light up everything closer in, but do no give the distance visibility of an 8" HID. For slower/technical single track this may be preferable. For higher speed big bike stuff or racing, my money is still in HID.
CrashDBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #8706
mefadv
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Ride in daylight, drink beer in darkness.

Have enough light on bike to get to beer if the ride turns "big bike friendly".





-dod

I totally agree... That is why I still have the 35watt "fender-lighter" on the XR
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #8707
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDBad View Post
I've watched some of our friends spend thousands the past year on lights trying to improve on HID. Having seen top of the line BD LED moto race lights next to 8" BD HIDs, there is no comparison. LEDs just do not have the "throw". They will fill and light up everything closer in, but do no give the distance visibility of an 8" HID. For slower/technical single track this may be preferable. For higher speed big bike stuff or racing, my money is still in HID.
Unless you are that dude in Baja last year. His LED equipped truck turned nigiht into day for a shitlong distance. But all those lights would look a little silly on a motorcycle.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #8708
cyberdos
True Story Bro
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDBad View Post
I've watched some of our friends spend thousands the past year on lights trying to improve on HID. Having seen top of the line BD LED moto race lights next to 8" BD HIDs, there is no comparison. LEDs just do not have the "throw". They will fill and light up everything closer in, but do no give the distance visibility of an 8" HID. For slower/technical single track this may be preferable. For higher speed big bike stuff or racing, my money is still in HID.
We're talking about off road speeds
not Spencer speeds.
__________________
...
Presione dos para español.
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #8709
CrashDBad
Big man, little bike
 
CrashDBad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
Unless you are that dude in Baja last year. His LED equipped truck turned nigiht into day for a shitlong distance. But all those lights would look a little silly on a motorcycle.

S.C.
If you have unlimited weight, space and stator output like on a TT Truck/pre-runner, sure. On a bike, not so much.
CrashDBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #8710
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,131
As I was trying to point out, even if you match lumens and focus with LED's the LED spectra is poorer for human eyes with regards to object detection and isn't that what it's pretty much mostly about?



Hey Rick.... long time no see!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #8711
kbblue
mmmm... dirt...
 
kbblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Flagstaff
Oddometer: 286
More light on the subject

Stumbled on this AZ requirement on the AZ State Parks OHV info on "what it takes to make an OHV street legal" when I was trying to figure out what else my KTM is supposed to have.

At least one, but not more than two, headlights which shine at least 500 feet ahead

I thought the "not more than two" thing was interesting, so in theory you'd need a separate switch for bunch of LEDs and only run them when off road.
__________________


kbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #8712
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbblue View Post
Stumbled on this AZ requirement on the AZ State Parks OHV info on "what it takes to make an OHV street legal" when I was trying to figure out what else my KTM is supposed to have.

At least one, but not more than two, headlights which shine at least 500 feet ahead

I thought the "not more than two" thing was interesting, so in theory you'd need a separate switch for bunch of LEDs and only run them when off road.
That's exactly what I'm doing with my bike. Stock headlight runs with motor on, and a switch to run the "high" beam led's for off road.
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #8713
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDBad View Post
I've watched some of our friends spend thousands the past year on lights trying to improve on HID. Having seen top of the line BD LED moto race lights next to 8" BD HIDs, there is no comparison. LEDs just do not have the "throw". They will fill and light up everything closer in, but do no give the distance visibility of an 8" HID. For slower/technical single track this may be preferable. For higher speed big bike stuff or racing, my money is still in HID.
Someone is fudging the numbers on actual monies spent on the new LEDs. Total investment in switching to an LED set-up is comparable to the cost of the HID light systems (when buying new). I know this to be the case, as I am the poster boy for LED spending sluts.

Rick, you have heard my rants before so apologies, but to those that are interested in the new LED stuff, dont be discouraged.

It is true, HID lights do reach out a greater distance than the "NEWEST", state of the art, LED offerings. In my opinion, the distance you lose going LED is more than offset by the LED's user friendly attributes (instant on and off high beam, dimming feature, ability to use in traffic, just to name a few). If your only lighting need is at race speeds on a closed course, then HID for sure.

I sold a dual 8" Baja Designs HID set-up and switched to all LED. To me, the light is much more pleasant and clearer, meaning the throw of light from the new LED lights seem to fill the dark voids on the edges of your main beam much better than the HIDs. The effect seems more of a natural wall of light projecting from the widest margins of your peripheral vision forward. The exception is distance, HID wins. But...for 90 -100mph and under, the LEDs are more than enough, and they are infinitely easier to use when oncoming traffic is a possibility.

Spacing the LEDs correctly are critical to their success. You need at least two of the LED lights to get the best effect..

***DISCLAIMER, Spencers solar system lights are on another level and "unobtanium", so no comparison there. Compare the standard, dual 8" Baja Designs light system to a three light squadron system.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #8714
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Ride in daylight, drink beer in darkness.

Have enough light on bike to get to beer if the ride turns "big bike friendly".





-dod

Priceless!!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #8715
CrashDBad
Big man, little bike
 
CrashDBad's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Someone is fudging the numbers on actual monies spent on the new LEDs. Total investment in switching to an LED set-up is comparable to the cost of the HID light systems (when buying new). I know this to be the case, as I am the poster boy for LED spending sluts.

Rick, you have heard my rants before so apologies, but to those that are interested in the new LED stuff, dont be discouraged.

It is true, HID lights do reach out a greater distance than the "NEWEST", state of the art, LED offerings. In my opinion, the distance you lose going LED is more than offset by the LED's user friendly attributes (instant on and off high beam, dimming feature, ability to use in traffic, just to name a few). If your only lighting need is at race speeds on a closed course, then HID for sure.

I sold a dual 8" Baja Designs HID set-up and switched to all LED. To me, the light is much more pleasant and clearer, meaning the throw of light from the new LED lights seem to fill the dark voids on the edges of your main beam much better than the HIDs. The effect seems more of a natural wall of light projecting from the widest margins of your peripheral vision forward. The exception is distance, HID wins. But...for 90 -100mph and under, the LEDs are more than enough, and they are infinitely easier to use when oncoming traffic is a possibility.

Spacing the LEDs correctly are critical to their success. You need at least two of the LED lights to get the best effect..

***DISCLAIMER, Spencers solar system lights are on another level and "unobtanium", so no comparison there. Compare the standard, dual 8" Baja Designs light system to a three light squadron system.
I was combining your and Billy's custom light bulids into the thousands Bob. My money is still on HID for high speed desert stuff. I never did get to see your lights at night, so that may change my mind. You can build/order an overdriven 50/70 watt HID system like Spencer's off the shelf for a few hundy more.

I'm still waiting to see Billy's latest setup with 6" HID and the Onyx light bar underneath. That may be the ticket for size, distance and fill.
CrashDBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014