ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #9211
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
How 'bout I meet'cha at the train on Frontier street/RR street.
Noon? Can do
Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #9212
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Make it look like you fixed the leak in the plumbing, look tired but willing to take on another task but at the same time eager for adventure. Boss will let you out.

James T. Kirk: How much refit time before we can take her out again?
Montgomery Scott: Eight weeks, Sir, [Kirk opens his mouth] but ye don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for ye in two.
James T. Kirk: Mr.Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Montgomery Scott: Certainly, Sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?
James T. Kirk: [over the intercom] Your reputation is secure, Scotty.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #9213
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
I was reading the Phoenix region ATV Trails Guide today (c2008) and came across a side note mentioning something about a proposed option for future rerouting of I-17 through the Bumble Bee area. Evidently that option was dropped but what about the other options? I've found a few links but none that connect to anything current. Anybody know anything about this? Was it dropped completely or just put on hold for a while?
Looking at aerial images, there is a huge swath of desert that has been cleared following I-17 from the west valley all the way north beyond Prescott.

I remember they were clearing a lot of this in '08 and it is a gas pipeline. Don't know if it is related to a hwy rerouting, but it does pass through Bumblebee...
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #9214
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Pretty sure they are two separate projects. I've traced that gas line all the way into Colorado before losing it.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #9215
Chuck az
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Is there any interest in having a GPS user get together to teach some of us how to use Garmin units? I sure could use some face to face training on how to use the 60csx to it's full potential. I maybe we can make a tech day, BBQ and beers get together out of it? I know nightstalker would probably be the best choice to teach this 'class".

Chuck
Old 12-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #9216
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck az View Post
Is there any interest in having a GPS user get together to teach some of us how to use Garmin units? I sure could use some face to face training on how to use the 60csx to it's full potential. I maybe we can make a tech day, BBQ and beers get together out of it? I know nightstalker would probably be the best choice to teach this 'class".

Chuck
NS has posted a you tube on how to download gps tracks into unit. You can find it on Nightstalker site. (go to his profile). IMHO I hate garmin units.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #9217
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck az View Post

Chuck
Cyberdos is the GPS instructor. There was a class earlier this year but I missed it. I could use some more training with my O'l Garmin also.
Nightstalker has a great tutorial on his sight.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #9218
2 SPOT
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
IMHO I hate garmin units.
why is that?, what about magellan?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #9219
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
if you guys want to put together another gps class, I can host again, if you'd like.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #9220
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
why is that?, what about magellan?
I just had bad experience with Garmin and their stupid download (update) every once in a while that u have to pay for it. And when I was doing it won't download properly. So I said I'll try something else. I have now the iGO gps software system http://www.igomyway.com/en/ With powerfull gps and more capacity than an average Garmin (u saw it), See the specs on this one for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281048978112...84.m1438.l2649
And for 1/4 of the price of a Garmin. 4GB, MP3 MP4 player, Bluetooth integrated, on line access (near Wi-Fi), up to 8GB SD card with build in 4GB. The new one I got lately is 8GB with 16GB SD card. Can't ask for better at this price c'mon ...I never tried Magellan Clay, I heard it's ok gps though.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #9221
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,961
Quote:
I just had bad experience with Garmin and their stupid download (update) every once in a while that u have to pay for it. And when I was doing it won't download properly. So I said I'll try something else. I have now the iGO gps software system http://www.igomyway.com/en/ With powerfull gps and more capacity than an average Garmin (u saw it), See the specs on this one for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281048978112...84.m1438.l2649
And for 1/4 of the price of a Garmin. 4GB, MP3 MP4 player, Bluetooth integrated, on line access (near Wi-Fi), up to 8GB SD card with build in 4GB. The new one I got lately is 8GB with 16GB SD card. Can't ask for better at this price c'mon ...I never tried Magellan Clay, I heard it's ok gps though.
Is this a waterproof unit? I'd like to check it out and see how it receives data.

I wont buy another GPS that won't allow customizable maps.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #9222
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Is this a waterproof unit? I'd like to check it out and see how it receives data.

I covered it with tape like protective material (same as smart phone cover). I rode in few storms and still works perfect. With a custom build box added to it (I used project box from Fry's Electronics) it'll make it crash resistant as well.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #9223
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,553
Now that I'm moving back to The Big City, I'd like to partake in a class on GPS use. In eight years, I have used my 60C twice. Once to navigate my way through Tecate, and another finding a way up to Copper Basin Rd. from Wilhoit (AzTom knows this route).

The reason I haven't done more with it, is complete lack of knowledge on creating maps, download maps, etc.

Get on this, 'Dos. I need some training.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #9224
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post

Customize maps? Like custom routes or changing actual roads?

Garmin had some real lame changes (IMO) made to their GPS units over the past few years. Basically replacing map detail with soccer mom features like lane assist and 3d buildings. The 760 was the last good model with high detailed maps. When I am off road I want high detail for dirt roads so I can see if a road is a dead end without having to stop and zoom in and out and swipe a thousand times to see where a road goes.

Detail side by side comparison example: http://crozb.com/garmin/

I tried several new models but ended up selling them and going back to the 760s. Even the new Zumo is just a water proof soccer mom gps. :-p

The new Montana's might have brought back some of the better detail, but 760s are going for less than $75.00 so they are almost throw away tech now. I don't worry about being water proof. I have 4 760s (3 bikes plus the truck). I have never lost one due to damage.

Eddy, isn't iGo the same as the Mio units?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #9225
2 SPOT
wannabe

Quote:
Can't ask for better at this price c'mon
not at that price, but a daylight viewable screen is more important to me.

this is what i'm waiting for https://www.meetearl.com