ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #9226
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
...this is what i'm waiting for https://www.meetearl.com
Nice... I am going to need a bigger RAM mount :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #9227
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
not at that price, but a daylight viewable screen is more important to me.

this is what i'm waiting for https://www.meetearl.com
Very cool unit................One that I can actually see without my glasses.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #9228
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Just asked the developers if I can zoom in and out on the screen like on an iPhone. I do like the unit.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #9229
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB View Post

Eddy, isn't iGo the same as the Mio units?
It's not the same unit, Mio a little older model from the one I got, dunno if iGO programming can still apply to it. Mine has so much functions that I can't keep up with. I only use 35-40% of it's capabilities. Sometimes I forget stuff because of lack of practice.

Quote:

this is what i'm waiting for https://www.meetearl.com
it's something to consider. Looks cool too.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #9230
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
Now that I'm moving back to The Big City, I'd like to partake in a class on GPS use. In eight years, I have used my 60C twice. Once to navigate my way through Tecate, and another finding a way up to Copper Basin Rd. from Wilhoit (AzTom knows this route).

The reason I haven't done more with it, is complete lack of knowledge on creating maps, download maps, etc.

Get on this, 'Dos. I need some training.

S.C.

What is it you computer guys say?

Oh yeah.

Now I remember.

Read the fucking manual.

-dod
Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #9231
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,007
What????

The GPS things come with manuals..... I must have got shorted.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #9232
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post

Oh yeah.

Now I remember.

Read the fucking manual.

-dod
A tad aggresivo there senor Charley, that's not the way to spread the holiday spirit.
I'm surprised to find common ground with the Wickenburg dude, but in his defense, the "f-in manual" for the Garmin 60 series units is the most confusing, poorly written piece of shit of whats supposed to be instructional info that I have ever attempted to ingest.
So come on DOD, how about showing some empathy and compassion for us "short-bus", gps tards?

Oh, happy Kwanzaa.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #9233
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
Customize maps? Like custom routes or changing actual roads?

Garmin had some real lame changes (IMO) made to their GPS units over the past few years. Basically replacing map detail with soccer mom features like lane assist and 3d buildings. The 760 was the last good model with high detailed maps. When I am off road I want high detail for dirt roads so I can see if a road is a dead end without having to stop and zoom in and out and swipe a thousand times to see where a road goes.

Detail side by side comparison example: http://crozb.com/garmin/

I tried several new models but ended up selling them and going back to the 760s. Even the new Zumo is just a water proof soccer mom gps. :-p

The new Montana's might have brought back some of the better detail, but 760s are going for less than $75.00 so they are almost throw away tech now. I don't worry about being water proof. I have 4 760s (3 bikes plus the truck). I have never lost one due to damage.

Eddy, isn't iGo the same as the Mio units?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.
lol. What I mean by custom maps is having the capability to drag and drop a KMZ file into the unit and it having the capacity to read it as an overlay. I have downloaded every single topographical and forest map in AZ and pretty much the entire southwest entirely for free. I have paid $0 for all the maps I have on my Oregon and have not depended on anything that Garmin sells.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. All the trails with all the trail numbers.

The unit is what is key, not the maps. the maps are out there if you know where to look.

To me it's critical for the unit to be rugged and waterproof. But each user has different needs. For example, the Oregon is a relatively small unit. Great for it not banging around on the bars but not so great for someone that can't read the damn thing due to its size.

Smart phones are the way of the future anyway and will probably make gps units obsolete in a few years. You can bank on that.

cyberdos screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 10:53 PM
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #9234
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Smart phones are the way of the future anyway and will probably make gps units obsolete in a few years. You can bank on that.

i thought that at first,,,, but as i started using it i realized i didnt really want my smartphone bolted on my bike,,, but in my truck it mounts to the dash and does everything from music, audiobook, gps, even on board real time OBDII.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #9235
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
It's not the same unit, Mio a little older model from the one I got, dunno if iGO programming can still apply to it. Mine has so much functions that I can't keep up with. I only use 35-40% of it's capabilities. Sometimes I forget stuff because of lack of practice.

it's something to consider. Looks cool too.
But, this unit as good as it is still allows you to blow by the next turn! Just kidd'n you Eddy.......... Merry Christmas. Let's get a ride together soon.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #9236
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
A tad aggresivo there senor Charley, that's not the way to spread the holiday spirit.
I'm surprised to find common ground with the Wickenburg dude, but in his defense, the "f-in manual" for the Garmin 60 series units is the most confusing, poorly written piece of shit of whats supposed to be instructional info that I have ever attempted to ingest.
So come on DOD, how about showing some empathy and compassion for us "short-bus", gps tards?

Oh, happy Kwanzaa.

Kinda sensitive there Bob, your meds must need adjusting.

The only thing worse than the Garmin manuals is their Basecamp software. I do like the hardware (60csx).

Happy Kwanzaa to you!

-dod
Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #9237
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
i thought that at first,,,, but as i started using it i realized i didnt really want my smartphone bolted on my bike,,, but in my truck it mounts to the dash and does everything from music, audiobook, gps, even on board real time OBDII.
Hence, in the future. :)

Once they figure out how to make them tough like the Casio and make a dedicated powered cradle they'll provide a much better platform than any current gps. Garmin is trying to keep up with features like Birdseye but the more people consolidate their gadgets the less they'll want to carry a gps when they have everything on their phone.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #9238
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:

Kinda sensitive there Bob, your meds must need adjusting.

The only thing worse than the Garmin manuals is their Basecamp software. I do like the hardware (60csx).

Happy Kwanzaa to you!

-dod

Maybe so, cabin fever perhaps? For some reason, gps interaction continues to get the best of me. Apparently I'm just dumb. At least I'm riding the correct bus.

Hey Dos, maybe you could give us heathens a class when you find the time. I'm down with a stipend for the maestro, I'd bet you would have plenty of my bus-mates attending ($$$) to make it worth your time ???
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #9239
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

no way I'd take any money.

From giving that class at Don's I learned a few things. Most importantly is that it's tough to teach a class to a big group where everyone has a different needs/understanding of their units. I feel that from the 2 or so hours I didn't get much accomplished.

Maybe a better approach would be giving classes by category. For example, giving a class on how to upload tracks to your unit. That way we could plug in several different model GPS' and see how each one of them accepts tracks. there's always different tricks and methods to making units work best. By me simply telling you "upload a track" it isn't helping you any if I don't show you how it's done on your particular unit and the different programs that there are to do it.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #9240
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,718
Quote:

Oh yeah.

Now I remember.

Read the fucking manual.

-dod
I see the smily, but seriously, there is such a fucking plethora of information out there, I don't know where to start. And a lot has changed since I bought my GPS several years ago.

Having one person relay information to us which has been vetted/tested/utilized/wheverthefuck is a very good idea.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote