ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #9256
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,973
Tracks

I have started doing all my routes in Google Earth and then transferring them into base camp and on to my gps. Best way to do it I have found.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #9257
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
I know I'm going to catch some grief here but I need to ask the great GPS Guru a Basecamp question.

How do I turn a route into a track? If that is possible.

Thanks,
dod
Read the fucking manual!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #9258
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 958
i do the same 008

that's what I do also. sometimes the road and the gps are off slightly but generally its spot on. I just can't read the gps without reader glasses and glasses distort everything else so I don't wear them in my crash helmut-sucks to get old. good thing my wonker is huge or I'd have a hard time with that-oh, wait, that's my leg not my wonker
Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #9259
Montek
Eternal Noob

Charlie

Quote:
While we're at it which adhesive is the most waterproof for glueing my GPS back together?

Hi Monte! Ready for some desert riding yet?

-dod

Slowly getting the klr repaired-sent the top end of for a the 688 upgrade
Also noticed a sizable oil leak and its coming from the middle case gasket so dillion gets to spit the cases for that and while there going to do new bearings and shit

also, when pulled engine the lower rear engine mount is cracked and that needs to be welded back up.

I'll have a brand new "used" klr when its all done.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #9260
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I Still havent found the plug in on my sextant. Is there a class for that?

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #9261
Montek
Eternal Noob

charlie

one more thing. I am going to leave my klr piston at dillons. first of all pick the damn thing up, its fricken heavy

and second wait till you see the buildup on the piston-its epic, the valves looked similar. can't believe it could run.

I think I just found 20 horsepower that was lacking out of the stock 34

wheelies man, wheelies
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #9262
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
I know I'm going to catch some grief here but I need to ask the great GPS Guru a Basecamp question.

How do I turn a route into a track? If that is possible.

Thanks,
dod
I have a "converter" to change tracks to routes and vice versa. Not sure if thats the only way. If you dont get a better answer let me know and ill look at my laptop and tell you what its called.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #9263
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Read the fucking manual!

I deserved that.

The manual sux.

-dod
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #9264
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montek View Post
one more thing. I am going to leave my klr piston at dillons. first of all pick the damn thing up, its fricken heavy

and second wait till you see the buildup on the piston-its epic, the valves looked similar. can't believe it could run.

I think I just found 20 horsepower that was lacking out of the stock 34

wheelies man, wheelies
I'm gonna need to add nitrous to the XR to keep up.

- dod
Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #9265
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,711
can anybody tell me,,, is it just laziness that we are putting so much into a bike gps? i mean 99.8% of my riding thus far has been paper map and seat of the pants. i've been some places and seen some things old school style.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #9266
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
can anybody tell me,,, is it just laziness that we are putting so much into a bike gps? i mean 99.8% of my riding thus far has been paper map and seat of the pants. i've been some places and seen some things old school style.
How dare you insinuate that I am lazy! I am NOT lazy, I am stupid!!! I have tried paper maps and they are hard and uncooperative. No mater how much I tap them they never zoom in. They never auto rotate when I take corners. Worst of all they never tell me "re-calculating" in a soft sexy voice when I miss a turn.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #9267
2 SPOT
wannabe

i forgot about that soft sexy voice,,,, ok i'm in

i grew up with map and compass orienteering. pretty much all of my outdoor'ness has been with paper and i've been some crazy places and back, so i guess its mostly just a comfort zone, i did get my self a cheap nuvi to stick on the bike, just to show my position on a map. it works pretty well for that, though i agree the topo map overlays are simply too cluttered and its hard to see the trail, unlike the laptop i used to use in the truck, that was clear and easy to see.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #9268
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
GPS is just a tool. A very powerful navigation tool. It does what you want with it. It's never taken the "adventure" out of my backcountry exploits. It allows me to navigate more quickly so I get more "adventuring" in a given amount of time.

We all know Garmin's manuals are junk. I won't criticize someone for not understanding their GPS from not reading their manuals.

I too am in the camp of if you understand navigating, e.g. map and compass, then understanding the GPS just comes along for the ride. Sure, someone ignorant in navigational skills can use a GPS but they'll never really "get it" until they learn how to navigate. The GPS is just a tool. The knowledge isn't so much in how to use a hammer when you're trying to build a house.

A couple of notes about smart phones for navigating. If they aren't ruggedized, setup to operate from vehicle power (not from a USB connector!) and truly daylight readable, then what's the point? Daylight readability generally costs gobs of power so you aren't likely to see that in many devices intended to spend most of their life on an internal battery.

And you may find using a smart phone on your vehicle, even if just as a GPS, illegal in places....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #9269
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
GPS is just a tool. A very powerful navigation tool. It does what you want with it. It's never taken the "adventure" out of my backcountry exploits...

A couple of notes about smart phones for navigating. If they aren't ruggedized, setup to operate from vehicle power (not from a USB connector!) and truly daylight readable, then what's the point? Daylight readability generally costs gobs of power so you aren't likely to see that in many devices intended to spend most of their life on an internal battery...
Couldn't agree more with your first statement. If it helps someone get the hell off their couch and on the trail with more confidence in their sense of directions then its doing its job. There is some irony that I am sitting on the couch typing this :-o

As for the display and power on a smart phone, I run my display at 100% bright, GPS, Bluetooth streaming and cellular on from sun up to sun down pushing 2.amps via the USB port and have no issues. Daylight viewing has improved a lot on the new phones. Manufactures used to, and still do inhibit phones ability of displaying at it's true full brightness potential. The reason being that it improves their published spec for battery life. Now that battery life on phones has improved manufactures are increasing the brightness of the screen, but there is still adjustments that can be done by the end user... Samsung has done a very good job at making these settings user definable. If you at are running one of the Sammy galaxy phones, try disabling auto adjust screen tone settings. I think you will find out helps in daylight, bit does impact battery life when not on a charger.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #9270
2 SPOT
wannabe

the part about a readable screen and power consumption, thats why i'm holding out for the earl. E ink is awesome in any condition, and uses almost nothing for power, sure its black and white, but i dont need a color screen for gps