ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #9271
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,143
I just want an oompa loompa to put on my cycle. Those guys can do anything!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #9272
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I too am in the camp of if you understand navigating, e.g. map and compass, then understanding the GPS just comes along for the ride. Sure, someone ignorant in navigational skills can use a GPS but they'll never really "get it" until they learn how to navigate. The GPS is just a tool. The knowledge isn't so much in how to use a hammer when you're trying to build a house.
REI has offered a map reading class in the past, and they may again. I did find this GPS class on the schedule. It could be interesting.

http://www.rei.com/event/43635/session/85593

S.C.
scottcolbath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #9273
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I just want an oompa loompa to put on my cycle. Those guys can do anything!

Have you checked the Touratech catalog?

-dod
Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #9274
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Have you checked the Touratech catalog?

-dod
Nope do they carry them?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #9275
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
Not speaking to the off road GPS software of the phone, but if you really want a smartphone attached to your bike there are solutions for that on the market. The Gs4 Active or the standard Gs4 with a rugged case would work? I have had a smart phone on my bikes for the past 9 years going back to WinMOs. Smart phones are great for wireless music, turn by turn navigation and even heads up on speed traps (thanks waze). Offline maps leave something to desired though that software George99 mentioned looks promising.

The basic OSM program is free and you can download up to 8 maps, plenty enuff for most of us. I purchased the full OSMAND+ 'cause I use it all over the country and it's a PITA to delete a map to make space for another state.

Before the purchase, tho, I carried my Samsung with to Cambodia and Thailand and used the free version to tour over there. Worked a charm.

There are other similar programs out there but this one is working for me. Just about everywhere I've been, off-road and on, shows up on the maps.

Far as I know, OSM is only available for Android, not I-Phone.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #9276
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
the part about a readable screen and power consumption, thats why i'm holding out for the earl. E ink is awesome in any condition, and uses almost nothing for power, sure its black and white, but i dont need a color screen for gps
E-ink is very readable and has improved in contrast a fair bit too, but is *very* slow so it doesn't handle motion at all well. Screen refreshes take hundreds of milliseconds. I'm not sure that's going to be good for a modern mapping device. If the resolution is great enough color isn't essential but it does add a lot to the information content on a mapping unit.

We'll see whether e-ink finds a niche in the vehicle GPS market space. Personally, I'm not that optimistic.

I'm a bit pessimistic about smart phones too. I've seen good ones but they don't come close the good displays I've seen.

I'm also waiting until we hear from someone who gets a ticket for using their smartphone while riding/driving in a place where it's illegal and trying to explain to the cop that they were just using the GPS so it should be ok....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #9277
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
E-ink is very readable and has improved in contrast a fair bit too, but is *very* slow so it doesn't handle motion at all well. Screen refreshes take hundreds of milliseconds. I'm not sure that's going to be good for a modern mapping device. If the resolution is great enough color isn't essential but it does add a lot to the information content on a mapping unit.

We'll see whether e-ink finds a niche in the vehicle GPS market space. Personally, I'm not that optimistic.

I'm a bit pessimistic about smart phones too. I've seen good ones but they don't come close the good displays I've seen.

I'm also waiting until we hear from someone who gets a ticket for using their smartphone while riding/driving in a place where it's illegal and trying to explain to the cop that they were just using the GPS so it should be ok....
I think it's talking on it while driving that gets the ticket Just never say anything to it
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #9278
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
I'm pretty confident that there are people that will be ticketed for using the GPS in their smart phone. There are at least 12 states that only allow hands free.

So far there's not a lot of restrictions on GPS's. Mostly just about where they're located although New Jersey "State Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith has introduced a bill that would “prohibit the manual operation of a global positioning system (GPS) device or similar navigation device by the operator of a moving motor vehicle”... Under the proposed law, drivers would be allowed to only use voice-activated systems to program the devices while a vehicle is in motion."

They're even talking about "cracking down" on "texting" here in AZ next year by giving speeding tickets saying that you are driving faster than prudent due to using a device. In my experience with the all too frequently overzealous AZ cops, it's not a big stretch to see one ticketing someone using their device as a gps. We'll see....

Quote:
The Arizona Department of Public Safety plans to crack down on drivers who are distracted by texting or their cellphones in general. The enforcement effort will begin in January and be accompanied by an education campaign, DPS spokesman Bart Graves said...
...The Legislature has repeatedly rejected a ban on texting while driving. But Graves says a state law on "speed not reasonable and prudent" will be used to cite distracted drivers. "Any speed is not reasonable when you're texting, because you're not fully in control of your driving," Graves said....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #9279
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,288
screw it, i'm gonna get google glass, heads up and hands free. and i saw a new oakley goggles that tie into a smart phone with bluetooth maybe? had a heads up gps display and other things.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #9280
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
screw it, i'm gonna get google glass, heads up and hands free. and i saw a new oakley goggles that tie into a smart phone with bluetooth maybe? had a heads up gps display and other things.
Better read this first, SPOT.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #9281
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,288
well that didnt take long did it?
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #9282
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Let's ride soon, this Sunday here it is:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=469
Merry Christmas Paul.
Thanks for the invite! In LAX for the holidays, but what about doing the Coke Ovens and anyone else next Sunday?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #9283
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
The basic OSM program is free and you can download up to 8 maps, plenty enuff for most of us. I purchased the full OSMAND+ 'cause I use it all over the country and it's a PITA to delete a map to make space for another state.

Before the purchase, tho, I carried my Samsung with to Cambodia and Thailand and used the free version to tour over there. Worked a charm.

There are other similar programs out there but this one is working for me. Just about everywhere I've been, off-road and on, shows up on the maps.

Far as I know, OSM is only available for Android, not I-Phone.
How do you get the gps tracking feature on the tablet to work without being connected to the internet? I downloaded OSM on my tablet and it seems ok. Specially for use with the earth view but I can't get it to locate me without being logged into a network.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #9284
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 395
Couldn't you use your cellphone as a hotspot, or are you talking about when you have zero service?
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #9285
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,026
I don't have a smart phone.

I thought the device would pick up your coordinates independently of service. Like all GPS' do.

If they don't, then that's a BIG problem.