ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #9361
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post

anyway, roadbook stuff is fun, i used to run one back in the day with an old rino gps i still have, i used to spend hours making my tracks off of paper maps with the gps coordinates using a rule,,, it looked similar to the paper on the pic above, just all hand drawn with the turns, gps cords and mileage.
I agree. I spend a TON of hours researching trails and making tracks on the GPS. I don't think that part would ever go away. We are just using different tools now that weren't available back then. I used to use excel spreadsheets similar to the roadbooks for street rides. Those days were fun. But they are long gone and the way I do it now is just as fun.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #9362
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
anyone need a nice helmet on the deal?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939870
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #9363
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,800
cyber i agree completely,,, i think the only reason they still use roadbooks in the rallies is for the time honored tradition, if that makes sense. i mean they could just hand out memory cards at the start for regular ol gps and do away with all the bulky "stuff" thats piled on the front of the bike, but thats not rally trdition with navigation excellence

if i had a need for a roadbook and a desire to use it i would be all over this thing,,, its awesome.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942467

but as it is now i dont even need tracks to follow, all i want and use is a blue arrow overlaid on a map, i just want to see where i am in real time and make my own turns as i feel like it. thats why a cheap garmin nuvi with topo maps loaded works perfectly for me.

2 SPOT screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 08:53 AM
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #9364
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Obviously you're one of those that are stuck in the past. .
Obviously u don't know what you're talking about since you haven't been following international Rallies . Go on Dakar site and read rules and regulations to understand more.
Quote:
All of that information that he was explaining about the roadbook can be packaged into a gps and with bluetooth can be transmitted on the fly to your helmet with alerts the same way speed cam traps are set up
Wow in that case you should sign up to be a Dakar organizer ...
Quote:
I don't follow rallies so maybe I'm missing something
You are definitely missing a lot of infos.
Quote:
Welcome to the 21st century boys.
That's not nice ... C'mon now!! When u talk like that u make me feel you are of them

Quote:
Something that stood out about what he said was that you want to ingrain the roadbook into your head so you don't have to be looking down at it so much. Yeah. With a GPS and alerts you wouldn't have to look down at it much, if at all.
Not when u ride 15 days straight of rally (about 5500 miles). If u can memorize that much infos then there's no need for a Rd-book.
U make everything sound so easy or easy said then done.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #9365
braknstuf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hud

Been out for over a year.
http://www.reconinstruments.com/
braknstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #9366
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by braknstuf View Post
Been out for over a year.
http://www.reconinstruments.com/

It's great but $600 ?? I'll wait till the price go down...
Old 01-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #9367
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Tires...

I am getting bunch of Maxxis tires (Desert IT) (rear one, size 120-100-18) at the end of this month, the price is $77 per each if someone need one pm me for more infos. I know they sell them for 85 and up anywhere else.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #9368
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,007
Tires

I have the Desert IT's on my Husaberg and the knobbies tore off first ride in the rocks and the tire was worn out super fast. They came on the bike but I will not run those again. Good luck with those pieces of
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #9369
2 SPOT
wannabe

havent ben able to find any more info, but scott makes some HUD goggles now, or soon? HUD in your face like that seem a little distracting though, but i havent tried it yet and i imagine like anything else it becomes second nature.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #9370
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Not when u ride 15 days straight of rally (about 5500 miles). If u can memorize that much infos then there's no need for a Rd-book.
U make everything sound so easy or easy said then done.
dude. I'm not the one that said it. The guy on the video WHICH YOU POSTED said it.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #9371
2 SPOT
wannabe

Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #9372
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Added another member to the herd... the middle one. It's DurtKlod Jr's. new ride.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #9373
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,013
The link to the Vendors forum and the electronic roadbook/trip master device you posted is quite interesting.It's unfortunate that the device is so damn expensive. Looks like most of the Rallye specific technology has been bundled in to a tidy package. The big screen and the ability to split screen multiple different parameters/maps would be way useful. Its pretty much a laptop computer (or tablet) with built in dampening protection strapped to a bike. I need to investigate deeper.

Did anyone notice the strange nature of the dialogue between the vendor and the people posting questions? It appears that the vendor has a bunch of fake inmates (meaning himself) posting product specific information? Check it out, just weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
havent ben able to find any more info, but scott makes some HUD goggles now, or soon? HUD in your face like that seem a little distracting though, but i havent tried it yet and i imagine like anything else it becomes second nature.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #9374
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Added another member to the herd... the middle one. It's DurtKlod Jr's. new ride.

My son's looking for a bigger bike. His 50 is too small for him and after riding Aaron's son's ttr90 the other day I realized I'm going to have to pony up soon.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #9375
2 SPOT
wannabe

DK, awesome man!!

pfd, yeah kinda wierd dialog, i chocked it up to language barrier but who knows..

considering what it does and what it replaces (gps,roadbook,ICO,ODO, ect.ect.) its not that expensive and its a lot lighter and more compact.

it is cool as hell though. with garmin switching over to android platform at least on one of the models, monterra?, we might see some cool things in the app store popping up for android devices.

having said that i still really like the EARL device,,