ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #106
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXBUELL
Ride now does Yamaha so I take it Yamaha? Thanks. I'll give him a gingle tomorrow.
may i suggest u do z XR650R as DS bike it's compatible with those ride we take , & it's faster on z freeway...
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #107
PHXBUELL
Adventurer
 
PHXBUELL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
may i suggest u do z XR650R as DS bike it's compatible with those ride we take , & it's faster on z freeway...
Very good. I thought z wider seat of the xr650 would work best over all for the a long trip. Not much longer and I'll make a final pick but the xr seems to make the short list over all for comfort. I'm new to AZ so I'm not sure what "long desert" runs will be like. On the Uly it is fun however it will not take the beating an XR will of road and that's where I want to play here.
PHXBUELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #108
Yardstick
Hydrophobic
 
Yardstick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXBUELL
XR650R, YZ450F, WR450, or KTM 525 SX. I am ready to pull the trigger on either one. I want to make street legal what ever one i end up with. Any suggestions and why. Former bikes I have owned. kx125, yz125, cr500, cr500, xr500.... Now own Buell Ulysses but want more offroad use and be able to take hiway to get there. HELP! Thanks.
I'd vote for the XR650R as well. It should be plenty fast, reliable and easy to find parts for. If the 525SX had the wide ratio top gears of the EXC it would probably have a slightly higher top speed. The KTM is light and easier to ride in the tight stuff but the seat would be a torture device on a long ride.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #109
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Prescott, AZ
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXBUELL
XR650R, YZ450F, WR450, or KTM 525 SX. I am ready to pull the trigger on either one. I want to make street legal what ever one i end up with. Any suggestions and why. Former bikes I have owned. kx125, yz125, cr500, cr500, xr500.... Now own Buell Ulysses but want more offroad use and be able to take hiway to get there. HELP! Thanks.
The XR650R and WR450 are both easy to make street legal. XR will be better for fast pavement. WR will be easier to manage in technical.

YZ450F and KTM 525 SX will be harder to make street legal. You will also have a harder time doing high speed pavement on either as they come with a close ratio motocross style tranny.

For dual sport in the KTM arena you will want an EXC or XCFW (both have wide ratio trannies). Both the 450 and 525 make great dual sport bikes.

The XR and WR are both great choices though. Which is better? Depends on what you want to do with it.
__________________
2005 KTM 400exc
Dert Gerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #110
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Prescott, AZ
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I'd vote for the XR650R as well. It should be plenty fast, reliable and easy to find parts for. If the 525SX had the wide ratio top gears of the EXC it would probably have a slightly higher top speed. The KTM is light and easier to ride in the tight stuff but the seat would be a torture device on a long ride.
Enduro Enginnering makes a soft seat for them. Runs about $120. It's still a narrow dirt bike seat but much better than the brick that comes on them stock.
__________________
2005 KTM 400exc
Dert Gerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #111
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,811
Hey Dert Gerl , did u finally get ur Bimmer 800 heh , may i take it for a quick spin please please
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #112
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Prescott, AZ
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY
Hey Dert Gerl , did u finally get ur Bimmer 800 heh , may i take it for a quick spin please please
Yes, it went on its first dirt ride last weekend. We went over 4 peaks, around the backside of Roosevelt Lake and then down Apache Trail. All very mellow dirt, but it was a great way to get a feel for how she's gonna handle in the dirt ... and I'm impressed. If you don't look down you wouldn't think you were riding a 400 pound bike.

Still getting it setup with armor so I can try it on something a bit more challenging, but I'm stoked!!

250 = Singletrack
450 = Dunes & Baja
800 = To infinity and beyond ...



Hope to see you on the trail soon! You can take it for a spin after I crash it a few times and finish the "break in" period.
__________________
2005 KTM 400exc
Dert Gerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #113
PHXBUELL
Adventurer
 
PHXBUELL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
Enduro Enginnering makes a soft seat for them. Runs about $120. It's still a narrow dirt bike seat but much better than the brick that comes on them stock.
thanks for the nfo.. & the search goes on
PHXBUELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #114
PHXBUELL
Adventurer
 
PHXBUELL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
The XR650R and WR450 are both easy to make street legal. XR will be better for fast pavement. WR will be easier to manage in technical.

YZ450F and KTM 525 SX will be harder to make street legal. You will also have a harder time doing high speed pavement on either as they come with a close ratio motocross style tranny.

For dual sport in the KTM arena you will want an EXC or XCFW (both have wide ratio trannies). Both the 450 and 525 make great dual sport bikes.

The XR and WR are both great choices though. Which is better? Depends on what you want to do with it.
Thanks for the info
PHXBUELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #115
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
Yes, it went on its first dirt ride last weekend. We went over 4 peaks, around the backside of Roosevelt Lake and then down Apache Trail. All very mellow dirt, but it was a great way to get a feel for how she's gonna handle in the dirt ... and I'm impressed. If you don't look down you wouldn't think you were riding a 400 pound bike.

Still getting it setup with armor so I can try it on something a bit more challenging, but I'm stoked!!

250 = Singletrack
450 = Dunes & Baja
800 = To infinity and beyond ...



Hope to see you on the trail soon! You can take it for a spin after I crash it a few times and finish the "break in" period.
u GO Gerl u GO...
i was thinking last ride we were try to pass me with a 450cc , i was like wait a second here ....But now i got no chance but to let u in front of me , we are having a big ride on Sunday 14th this month tell ur man and come join us & bring ur bimmer it will be z star of this event ,ride description on previous page i thing .I hope to see u on this ride ,take care.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #116
glnn313
Gnarly Adventurer
 
glnn313's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 154
hey donna,did we ever make it to the oregano's photo wall?have krust check it out,and post it if he can.congrats on the 800.to bad you didn't have it for chickfest like you had thought.
glnn313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #117
Chick4KLRs OP
Adventure in my Soul
 
Chick4KLRs's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Snowflake, Arizona
Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I'd nominate Joy to go with you, but she is going to her sister's birthday party. She says she's already jealous because the ride sounds like so much fun. She is planning on picking me up in Flagstaff so I don't have to suffer the I-17 drone on the KTM at least.
What a gal!
__________________
Southwest Dual Sport Riders Club
Smug Mug Photo Gallery: click here

Living life, making friends...one rider at a time. ~Richard (1916-2007)
Chick4KLRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #118
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn313
hey donna,did we ever make it to the oregano's photo wall?have krust check it out,and post it if he can.congrats on the 800.to bad you didn't have it for chickfest like you had thought.
oh yeh i almost forgot about that Photo i guess we got to plan another ride in z Flagstaff district to find out huh ?? hey Glenn my man are u in for Sunday 14th's ride ?? i hope to see u joined in ...
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #119
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer
 
Makakoa85032's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: The Battlefront AZ
Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E
Mahalo my Brudda,

I have a pristene '03 crf450 all set up and ready to ride, suspension all dialed in, carbon fibered all up tall seat. You want to borrow it to "practice" your jumps on?? Speedworld has a giant 100' foot table top that will do nicely, if that is not far enough ET has a 100' foot triple that will make you pucker if your just 2 inches short....I have the scars to prove it!

Eddy's rule apply's though.

You don't know a cat that I used to play music with by the name of Dana "Moon" Kaheli would you??

Take care Brodda, Eric.

Howzit Big-E,

"Speedworld has a giant 100' foot table top that will do nicely, if that is not far enough ET has a 100' foot triple that will make you pucker if your just 2 inches short" I think I'll pass for now! Sorry da name does not ring a bell with me, my cousin in Nalo might know because he plays.

Take it easy brudda!

Makakoa!
Makakoa85032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #120
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,811
i'll see u guys tomorrow morning to dicuss that ride , i am gonna try to be there ~ 9ish or earlier
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014