ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #1351
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleThor
agree 100%.

I honked my bike several times along the time. That was cool.

And about the Cigars, for sure. Whatever Robin wants.
And Mahalo to you too Alex!

(Co-founder: Southwest Dual Sport Riders)

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

Ride it like you stole it!!

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown, is the belief that one's work is terribly important!" - Bertrand Russell

Old Punks never die, we just change the color of our Mohawks.
Makakoa85032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #1352
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I've been thinking about this same kind of thing lately. There are a lot of times that Joy and I will just do an impromptu ride on our own. Besides Joy, our only SPOT contacts are my parents and they're 3hrs from our house. We're usually a few more hours out in some random direction. If anyone wants to exchange SPOT info, I'm game. I don't have a very capable truck, but it would get close to most places that aren't too gnarly. I also know a few guys in 4wd clubs.

On another note... Does anyone know about the route between Mayer & 169 and between Cherry & Cottonwood? I'm looking at a ride following this route: http://tinyurl.com/ddbo3f
I did 132 twice it's fun level easy to intermediate . Never did FR413
but i like too, from 69 to 169 did it so many time on South Orme rd , super easy fun ride .
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #1353
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 545
HTML Code:
I was looking forward to the Sunflower mine, although I figured we'd never get across the Verde below Bartlett this time of year with the flows. There is another trail that heads east from 393 just before Bartlett. It's numbered 98 and called Corral Wash thru Corral Canyon. It makes it back to the Beeline Hwy on the Tonto forest map. It may not be doable though as I don't see it on Google maps. We could always go back out the way we came though, or if we got to a spot on 393 that wasn't doable we could turn around. Looks like there's alot to explore around that area. Anyone ever been up there that can offer some insight?
1. First, What a great ride report and rescue, On all sides. I would be happy to be placed on a Rescue/Recovery support roster. I have a Honda Ridgline, Ramps, generator, Lights, Tools and a retired Air Force Wife that can find me whenever I wander or get off my leash. I personally dont feel her land Nav skills are up to My Army standards but she has a big heart.

2. Anyone interested in checking this route that was looked at before? I am thinking starting on the ( 98 Corral Wash thru Corral Canyon to 393 then North East to Sun Flower and 87 Home.(Anyone Know this Route) I can Post my Wife with Truck at Sun Flower to Haul Bikes Back or support any Rescue/Recovery operation that might come up. I dont have trailer but would be happy to tow one up and back. Just a idea, Brian
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #1354
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac

2. Anyone interested in checking this route that was looked at before? I am thinking starting on the ( 98 Corral Wash thru Corral Canyon to 393 then North East to Sun Flower and 87 Home.(Anyone Know this Route)
393 was the final hoorah of last year's Hell Ride hosted by Dirtydog. It's a tough road which sometimes disappears into washes where it's anyone's guess as to where you'll end up. Crossing the Verde at the base of Bartlett Dam was an adventure in itself. Let me see if I can dig up the ride report.

Edit: Here ya go.

cyberdos screwed with this post 05-05-2009 at 04:23 PM
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #1355
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Question Help!!!!!!!!!

Is anyone out there a Diesel Mech? Somehow, someway, Gasoline got pumped into the tank of my Diesel Truck and Ford wants about 1K to drain, flush, refill, and check the engine for damage. The truck was driven about 3 miles after the fill up, and the amount of Diesel in the tank at the time was maybe 3 or 4 gallons, so Gasoline has been injected into the cylinders. If someone out there is a Diesel Mech that can help me perform the work myself PM me please.

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown, is the belief that one's work is terribly important!" - Bertrand Russell

Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #1356
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
I'm no Diesel mechanic, but I'm a Mechanical Engineer. In my Jetta TDI's manual it says something to the effect of; if gasoline is pumped into the tank in a small enough quantity, fill the tank as much as possible with diesel and burn it off. They don't seem to expect damage in a smaller quantity (I would assume 10% or less is probably okay). Do you know how much gasoline was pumped into the tank?
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #1357
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Quote:
I'm no Diesel mechanic, but I'm a Mechanical Engineer. In my Jetta TDI's manual it says something to the effect of; if gasoline is pumped into the tank in a small enough quantity, fill the tank as much as possible with diesel and burn it off. They don't seem to expect damage in a smaller quantity (I would assume 10% or less is probably okay). Do you know how much gasoline was pumped into the tank?
I have no idea, the Ford dealer said A LOT!

I've just read some stuff and they are saying the same thing. Drain the tank, change the filters, fill it up, and run it and hope for the best. Worst case is that it fu-bar-ed the injectors and the pumps that use the Diesel as lubrication.

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650

Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #1358
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakoa85032
I have no idea, the Ford dealer said A LOT!
Built Ford tough, huh?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #1359
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Sounds about right. I doubt it would do anything to the engine itself, but the high pressure mechanical pump would be something to keep an eye on. I can't think of many moving parts in the injectors themselves that might be harmed.

Did the Ford dealer do it? If so, it seems like they should be doing all the draining/filter changing/checking on their own dime.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #1360
kbblue
mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac
[html]

2. Anyone interested in checking this route that was looked at before? I am thinking starting on the ( 98 Corral Wash thru Corral Canyon to 393 then North East to Sun Flower and 87 Home.(Anyone Know this Route) I can Post my Wife with Truck at Sun Flower to Haul Bikes Back or support any Rescue/Recovery operation that might come up. I dont have trailer but would be happy to tow one up and back. Just a idea, Brian
Nightstalker and I talked to LandCruiserPhil about 98 Corral Wash when we ran into him on our Sunflower mine ride. He didn't have anything good to say about it. Basically not a trail and not "technically doable".
kbblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #1361
studley
Lord and Master

Oddometer: 677
I have been this route before, when I had the foreign car garage. It was a diesel VW but the same thing happened. Drained the tank, lines, pump and injectors by hand. No cranking. Blow the lines out with air. Change filters and refill with diesel. Car ran for the next four years that I know of. (moved to town and got married, no more garage) The engine should be ok, they are built pretty tough.

I can help with the wrench turning also.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #1362
SonnyAZ
DesertDweller

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakoa85032
Is anyone out there a Diesel Mech? Somehow, someway, Gasoline got pumped into the tank of my Diesel Truck and Ford wants about 1K to drain, flush, refill, and check the engine for damage. The truck was driven about 3 miles after the fill up, and the amount of Diesel in the tank at the time was maybe 3 or 4 gallons, so Gasoline has been injected into the cylinders. If someone out there is a Diesel Mech that can help me perform the work myself PM me please.

That's what I did for 20+ yrs. Check your PM
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #1363
SonnyAZ
DesertDweller

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganAZ
SonnyAZ always has access to my trailer and sometimes the shop truck too. He works early but the trailer is available for him to get for such circumstances. Just get a hold of him if you need to.
I also have a small MC trailer and a 4WD Suburban. When I can get it past frickin' emissions so I can register it. (It won't pass the tank vent test.)
I will be happy to help any stranded Rider.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #1364
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
I've been thinking about this same kind of thing lately. There are a lot of times that Joy and I will just do an impromptu ride on our own. Besides Joy, our only SPOT contacts are my parents and they're 3hrs from our house. We're usually a few more hours out in some random direction. If anyone wants to exchange SPOT info, I'm game. I don't have a very capable truck, but it would get close to most places that aren't too gnarly. I also know a few guys in 4wd clubs.

On another note... Does anyone know about the route between Mayer & 169 and between Cherry & Cottonwood? I'm looking at a ride following this route: http://tinyurl.com/ddbo3f
From 69 take Old Sycamore N to Orme, left on Orme to 169. Left on 169 a few hundred yards & right on Old Cherry 323. It cuts across to Cherry Rd. Left on Cherry Rd to Fr. 361. Left on 361 & left on Camino Real, Old 279. This will take you into CottonWood. Turn right on Fir & there is a Chevron on the corner of Fir & 260. A fun little route. Hope this helps.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #1365
Makakoa85032
Displaced Surfer

Quote:
Sounds about right. I doubt it would do anything to the engine itself, but the high pressure mechanical pump would be something to keep an eye on. I can't think of many moving parts in the injectors themselves that might be harmed.

Did the Ford dealer do it? If so, it seems like they should be doing all the draining/filter changing/checking on their own dime.
Naw Ford didn't do it.

1984 KLR600 (Kick Start)
1994 Suzuki DR350S
2002 Suzuki SV650S
2006 KLR650