Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #31
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Wow! Really interesting report, I'd never heard of the uprising so I found your retelling gripping! I love all the links, vids, and pics.

Thank you!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #32
mtn500
bush jumper

Oddometer: 301
excellent ride report.
I grew up in that area and i am the first generation, of many generations in my family, that has not worked in a coal mine. this area will always be a special place for me.
most people aren't even aware that these events took place. these "original rednecks" are not given the credit they deserve.
if it hadn't been for these rednecks and their fortitude to stand up to big anti-union corporations, who knows how the american workplace would be now. this should be a history lesson for everyone.

much appreciation comes from me to those coal miners.

i could be wrong about this, but wasn't the term redneck coined for the miners who wore red bandannas around their neck during the march to blair mountian?

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

mtn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #33
Fred from GA
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Know what you mean bush jumper, I'm from the mountains also. Good report here that dlrides has done.
No matter if you are pro or anti union check out what these people (miners) were trying to get in their work place then check out OHSA today. Some of the same things. My dad worked in the timber side of the mountain business back then. They also had some "labor problems" with outsiders invloved. That area and over the mountains into east Tennessee where I am originally from really has some good riding and wild history. I'm new on this fourm and don't want to over step the bounds but after I sort out how things are done and how to post pictures I'll try and post couple of rides I have done back to my home area up there. So if I cross the line someone let me know and I'll back off. Great web page. Have read several stories already.

Fred from Ga
Fred from GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #34
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,831
Very nice report, thanks!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #35
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn500
i could be wrong about this, but wasn't the term redneck coined for the miners who wore red bandannas around their neck during the march to blair mountian?
That's what I got from it.

This event wasn't mentioned in American History class when I went through school.

They say you learn something every day, well this is what I learned.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #36
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,882
I appreciate this story too. I have roots in WVA also. My Grandad was a miner. A fine man too, lived to 93 yr old.

I wonder what those men would think of the Wall St. bailout today? Maybe its time for another march.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
LOSTINTX
Trail Searching

Oddometer: 25
Welch

My mother is 95, my dad and her live there, you were paid with coal mine money which you could only spend in the coal mine store and you lived in a coal mine house, the coal mine owned you.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #38
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298
Great shot. Where is that?
Backbone Rock. I used to go rock climbing there while attending school at Emory & Henry College. Excellent report Don. The movie Matewan just got added to the Netflix que. I remember seeing it in the theatre with my Dad back in the day. There was a very good reason why he wanted me to see it. The mind needs to be refreshed.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #39
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Just now seeing your report...

Don... a masterful job!

You're becoming as skillful a writer as you are a rider, and that's saying alot!

Great report
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #40
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 328
Those Baldwin and Felts detectives were some real SOBs. Before they got shot up in WV, they were involved in rounding up the Allens and Edwards who were involved in the shooting at the Courthouse in Carroll County VA. (Carroll County Courthouse Shootings)

Two of them Sidna Allen and Wesley Edwards (who were seen as heros by most of the people in that county) were hid out by friends for a long time before they left the area.

I'm from that area and my Grandmother (she was ten at the time) used to tell me stories of how the B & F detectives would ride their horses through people's gardens without cause and would go through houses and out buildings without warrants or any probable cause. I can tell you that there was a lot of people in that area was glad they got what they got in WV.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about them:

The agency's most famous case was the capture of Floyd Allen and his family who were involved in a courtroom shootout in Hillsville, Virginia during which 5 people died and 7 were wounded. This event was the big news in the nation from March 13, 1912 until April 15 that year when the Titanic sank.
Baldwin-Felts Detectives pursued two of the fugitives from Virginia to Des Moines, Iowa before finally capturing them. Hired by the Governor of Virginia because Virginia had no State Police force, the detectives cut a wide swath through Carroll County in their quest. Confiscating horses, performing illegal searches, tampering with the US Mail and beating witnesses, they managed to capture most of the Allens within a three week time period. Only six months elapsed before the final two were captured in Iowa.
cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #41
dirty-diesel
"Spiffy comment here"

Oddometer: 153
Amazing history lesson, thanks for taking the time to share it
dirty-diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #42
dlrides OP
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,330

A big thanks for the comments ! I hope this inspires everyone to keep history alive, and use it as a catalyst for interesting rides !

I recently acquired a DVD of the movie "Matewan". The movie has been out of print since 2001, and was difficult to find, but was worth the effort ! Most of the movie is historically correct, and provides a touching perspective on coal miners' battle.

I HIGHLY reccommend this movie to anyone who has Appalachian or mining heritage ! I would be glad to send/share it with any that are truly interested.

Thanks again,

Don C
Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #43
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I bought the film a few years ago. Anyone that is a member of a union should watch it. When I travel southern WV or ride the Hatfield/ McCoy trails, I see the movie and several books about the history of the coal fields for sale at various store and whatnot. I'm sure the Depot restaurant in Matewan has these for sale too. Goldenseal magazine that is published by the WV Cultural center is a wonderful reference for all things WV.
www.wvculture.org/goldenseal Keep up the good work Don.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #44
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Trinidad, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
The difference was Philly state police dropped a bomb from a helicopter on a single house.

West Virginia alone bears the distinction of having been the focus – and potential target –of military aircraft.

http://www.pawv.org/news/blairhist.htm
My father's mother was born in Trinidad Colorado during a period of coal miner's unrest. The state militia was called in and shot many innocent people. The history of the mining unions in the US is facinating and forgotten. Thank you for keeping it alive.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #45
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
Thanks for presenting this history lesson to the forum.

Found it especially interesting in that my three former step-children came from that area, with one of the boys being born in Matewan, and the other just up the road in South Williamson, KY. The three are descended from a Hatfield-McCoy marriage, perhaps the one that reportedly brought an end to the famous feud.

Took the family on a vacation from Alaska in 1998 and got to visit Matewan myself, shortly after viewing the movie of that name, so the events were fresh in my mind as we toured the place. It's a shame things like that aren't presented in high school history. The best way to prevent a repetition is to learn from the past - which can't happen if we aren't aware of it.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote