Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #46
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 200
Thanks for another great report. I just finished the Coalwood ride report you were on and this one is great too. Looks like you may have been on Rt133 out of Shady Valley and then maybe Rt80 up toward Honaker and Haysi maybe?? Anyway my grandfather on my dad's side was a Logan Co. Judge during this time frame and I have heard some good stories about everything that went on between the Mining Co's and the Unions nasty bit of history there. Funny how many people look at me like Im an Idiot when I try to explain to them where the term "Redneck" comes from. Go Figure?
I just rode rt91 from Tazewell to Damascus and then down 133 to 321 then over the Mtn to Johnson City a few weeks ago, came home the same way except Rt58 from Damascus all the way to Martinsville then down 87 to 40 and home. What great riding. Thanks agian for all the work you put into these.

Mark
MarkNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #47
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Great report! Many thanks I love the reports that also mean something to the people who write them. History is my favorite area of study behind philosphy.

We all know what happens if we ever end up in hill country

Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #48
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
That was great, thanks for taking the time! I always like these history reports - sometime in the next couple of weeks I hope to post an attempt at something like this, based on a notorious local 19th century outlaw.

Coal mining has a fascinating and violent history just about everywhere - my grandfather came from a coal mining family in Shotts, near Glasgow, Scotland - he started work down the shafts aged 12, was heavily involved in union organisation, and had to flee to the United States following the General Strike of 1926. My mother found his name at Ellis Island when she visited recently.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #49
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Great stuff! Thanks for posting.
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #50
dlrides OP
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
That was great, thanks for taking the time! I always like these history reports - sometime in the next couple of weeks I hope to post an attempt at something like this, based on a notorious local 19th century outlaw.

Coal mining has a fascinating and violent history just about everywhere - my grandfather came from a coal mining family in Shotts, near Glasgow, Scotland - he started work down the shafts aged 12, was heavily involved in union organisation, and had to flee to the United States following the General Strike of 1926. My mother found his name at Ellis Island when she visited recently.

Interesting family history. European immigrants played an important role in U.S. coal mining history.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #51
Old Nuke
Flatlander

Oddometer: 222
Geat ride and history review. Never heard about that in my history lessons either.

Watched the show, Hillbilly: The Real Story, on History Channel yesterday. It's narrated by the singer Billy Ray Cyrus and goes into the history of the Scotch-Irish culture that settled in Appalachia.

It included a segment on that coal mining conflict.....quite informative.

It has perked my interest and I'll have to ride through that area next year.
Old Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #52
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nuke
Watched the show, Hillbilly: The Real Story, on History Channel yesterday. It's narrated by the singer Billy Ray Cyrus and goes into the history of the Scotch-Irish culture that settled in Appalachia.
I caught that show as well. Very cool seeing that right after reading your report last week Don. Great job...as usual!

Also liked the other "Cranberry" report. I've ridden my sportbikes around that area for years and also did many DirecTV installs up there years ago, but never heard of those mines. You've definitely given me some new locations to go checkout on the DRZ. Too bad SalsaBoy sold his KLR...he was about the only guy I could ever count on to go exploring with me. The others always say they'll go riding then backout for some reason or other!
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #53
mtn500
bush jumper

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nuke
Geat ride and history review. Never heard about that in my history lessons either.

It included a segment on that coal mining conflict.....quite informative.

It has perked my interest and I'll have to ride through that area next year.
I have never been to that particular area either, but would really like to go. perhaps those interested in a ride/visual cultural history lesson would like to get a group together for a ride to the area? i would be down for the experience.

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

mtn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #54
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Excellent history lesson. I had a neighbor whos family were pennsylvania coal miners, he told me how his family had collected up enough money to send his father to NY to work and earn money to get another family member out. They did this for the next few years and eventually moved everyone to NYC. The old coldger is still kicking @ 90+ years old, hes a tough old man !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #55
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,166
Thanks for the great read and photos. I too like to incorporate history into some of my rides and reports and appreciate how much effort it takes to dig this stuff out and report on it. Thank you very much for taking the time.

I took a trip to Hatfield-McCoy last season and before I did a read a couple of books (and a lot of web info) about the history of the area. Prior to reading these books, I had no idea of the scale of the labor wars and the politics of the time. Fascinating history that is hard to even imagine. I made it a point to visit a couple of these sites and really appreciate your taking photographs to share.

Thanks again for the great history reports!
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote