User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
1150GSA Fuel Pump

When I pulled into my driveway yesterday I noticed a faint constant humming noise. I initially thought it was from an in house vacuum system in my garage or a neighbours. Sadly when I turned the bike off that noise went away too.

I started the bike up this morning and again the faint higher pitched hum returned. I had a quick walk around the bike to try and isolate it without a lot of luck. I tried it again with the ABS switched off and thankfully the noise was still there.

The noise is constant and not effected by increased rpm. Before I got the stethoscope out I put my ear to the right side of the gas tank. Ding ding!

The suspect noise is there. When I turn the ignition on the pump does it's usual louder priming noise however this one is much fainter and constant.

....and of course I just filled the freaking tank up yesterday.

Is this noise the precursor for catastrophic pump failure and I should just leave in the shop until I get the new pump? Any chance I could burn some of this gas out while I wait until the pump arrives?

'02 1150GSA
97K miles
original pump - filter has been changed
Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 10,871
filter? how many miles

Isaiah 55:11
" so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

I installed a new Mann MWK44 fuel filter at 45.5K miles. Are you suggesting the pump is fine at 97K miles and making the noise as a result of the dirty filter?

Also...does the big O ring on the pump/filter access plate have to be changed out?

.....now back to reading the best way to dump 30 liters of fuel from this elephant head.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,415
the big O ring can maybe be reused, if it will fit, sometimes the fuel makes it sort of stretchy, and hard to keep in place when you are reassembling.

the O ring is a -348

say " dash 348"

stock is Buna-N

you can get 2 VITON O rings in that size from mcmaster carr for under $7, and they wont shrink or stretch with fuel contact, so you will never have to buy another one.

the filter is probably bad.

at 94K miles on My 95 1100gs, I went thu the tank internals last summer, pump was fine, screen appeared good, but inline filter was several years old and partially clogged.

I ended up breaking the plastic inlet on the fuel pump and buying a generic Bosch from Advance Auto for $40 or so.

Your inlet screen might be clogged with the tank liner, assuming you have a metal tank, and the liner is coming off, red flaky stuff?

go ahead and replace all rubber parts in the tank.

check this post by roger _04 in a similar thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...62&postcount=9

from the thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858196

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okie dokie....first order of business is to dump the fuel and pull the tank off and go from there.

I did see Roger's thread with the cross section of the fuel lines....I'll change them over too.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

flat black fuel pump connector on tank, outer 2 wires are fuel pump power.

you can jumper it and pump the tank out the feed hose once its disconnected.

no sparks close by though, make the connection with a jumper somewhere else.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, took the filter out and without taking it apart I tried to blow through it. Not very easy.....as opposed to the new one on the bench, so I put everything back together and can't hear that faint humming noise.

However I did put my ear right on the tank when the bike was running, as I did yesterday, and I could still hear that whine like noise. Now as I'd never put my ear on the tank before when everything was fine I don't know if it's typical to hear that noise or not. When I think about it, there should be a noise I guess as the pump is working.

Can someone chime in and confirm that with your ear on the tank when running () hearing the pump is normal?

Thanks...
Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

the OEM pump is loud enough to hear a few feet from the bike.

the replacement that I put in Bosch pump, is MUCH quieter.

Mine ALWAYS made noise ( oem pump) and always worked just fine, I think they get even noiser if the intake is obstructed or the pump is wearing out.

do you have the external filter mod?

Heck, Id probably just ride it until you felt like tearing into it.

no hurries I dont think.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

The faint humming noise isn't there however I've yet to take it for a spin so the jury may be out until tomorrow. Thanks for the confirmation on the normal pump noise.

As I said, it was quite difficult to blow through the old filter whereas the new one easy peasy to blow through. I suspect the culprit, making the pump work harder etc was a dirty filter.

Thanks for input guys...
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

probably so.

there was a BMW label and a date on my filter when removed, It said 2004, or 2005 I think...
did you see such a marking on yours?

I noticed also, the removed filter on mine, would drip fuel easier from the input than the output, when holding it in various positions like an hour glass, I didnt want to blow on it, I hate it when my beer tastes like gasoline.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

I changed the oem filter out at 45.5k so this one i replaced is a mann filter mwk44. I put in a napa for now but will grab a new fuel kit from BB. I may get the fuel pump kit combo for 145- as it has the O ring, couple of vitons, mann filter etc but I'll do some more reading on the quality and/or satisfaction of the BB north american replica pump first. I'm sure it's fine but I'd rather have a plug n play fit as opposed to dicking around soldering with that bosch alternative.

....if i can avoid it
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Understood, the soldering was far easier than any other portion of that deal though from what I recall.

I have soldered lots of things, and do it with enough regularity, its a non issue to me personally, I know thats not a universal feeling though.

Good job, I think you got it figured out!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,868
When my fuel pump went it sounded like a table saw cutting a sheet of aluminum. I won't admit to how I know what that does in fact sound like.
As luck would have it this was a Monday before I was to leave on a months ride to work. It turned out I had a dealer close by the office that both serviced cars and bikes. That meant the parts department was open. And they had the foul pump in stock and it was mine after a flash of plastic.

That ended the scream of my aged fuel pump. I am convinced mine died an early death through exposure to really nasty bad "gas", oil and crud sold as gasoline at very dear prices coupled with an early neglect of filter changing in the land of alcohol fuels. But, that is all just a guess and bad temper.
The second pump has served now beyond twice the originals life of around 60,000 miles. I change filters about every ten thousand miles more often if I know I've been exposed to questionable fuels say out in the not quite back of beyond where the skinflints ply their trade.
I have not had a problem since. I suppose my fuel pump may make some noises now, but my hearing is poor enough to not register anything odd, even with my hearing aids.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Ron from BC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the info Dick....good advice with fuel as it is these days. Are you using oem filters in your GSA?

I thought I'd try and use the same O ring but it didn't seal well enough (swollen I suspect) and I was seeing some fuel misting from the edge of the plate and as there are a couple or three wires under the tank I nipped into the dealer and blew the wad bought a new one for 10 bux. I have read where people have kept the used one and when it comes time to install a new filter that older O ring is now fine.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,868
I'm using OEM's though I did use a NAPA one once when it plugged on a trip on a holiday. That worked fine. It was one for a GM 450 truck motor. (motorhome)
My replacement was 7 years and some 123,000 miles ago.
I have been using the same old OEM o-ring, over and over. I use a little superglue to fix the rin in place on the tank when we-assembling. I also use a little copper antiseize on the stud threads for the cover and I'm very careful tightening those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Thanks for the info Dick....good advice with fuel as it is these days. Are you using oem filters in your GSA?

I thought I'd try and use the same O ring but it didn't seal well enough (swollen I suspect) and I was seeing some fuel misting from the edge of the plate and as there are a couple or three wires under the tank I nipped into the dealer and blew the wad bought a new one for 10 bux. I have read where people have kept the used one and when it comes time to install a new filter that older O ring is now fine.