Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #16
gristone OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Did you need to arch the frame to clear something specific? Just wondering what led you to that particular geometry.

Edit: I'm guessing it's to clear the lower triple clamp at full lock...
I actually adjusted the rake to be a bit more agressive on the steering and the clearances kind of dictated the shape. I tried to get as much of a truss as possible and maintain the parallel lines as much as possible.

So far everything fits really well. I even kept the stock oil line and breather hose to the airbox in tact.
gristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
gristone OP
Adventurer

more pictures of miscellaneous details:
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
gristone OP
Adventurer

some swingarm mods to make it look less like a rocketship from the eighties and more like a 90's smoothed-out rocket:
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
gristone OP
Adventurer

basically I can't get to the shop until the weekend to do more work on the frame so I'm just posting picks of nonsense.
Hopefully my heavy fork springs show up from race tech this week and I will put the front forks back together.

I also need to send all this junk to the powder-coater to shoot in flat black so maybe this weekend I will start to mess around with the rear subframe. I want to reinforce the areas at the footpeg-bracket-transmission-swingarm zone but keep the basic functionality of the rear sub so it still works as a tourer.
we'll see how that works out.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
gristone OP
Adventurer

here's one of the mostly complete front sub. I still need to add a pin for a scotts dmaper in that small triangular gusset up behind the headstock.. I may just wait and tap it in later when I can afford to buy the damper-- I'm anxious to get this to the powder-coater anyway.

Does anyone have an R1150gs front beak and headlamp setup that they want to sell? I don't really like the R1100gs front end, and the desierto for the 1150 is so much cheaper without the headlights-- I like the look of the two different sized headlights from the 1150 better than the TT setup anyway.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
gristone OP
Adventurer

In order to use the left fork leg on the right side so that I can run dual discs I needed to bore it out to 25mm for the shouldered side of the axle. I did a sketch and sent it to my friend in LA that I sold my milling machine to when I moved to NY and had to downsize. Here is the sketch showing what needed to be done.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #22
gristone OP
Adventurer

Here is what he recommended:
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
gristone OP
Adventurer

needless to say it worked out pretty well despite the high cost of the special Dino-Alloy he had to use.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,789

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #25
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,672
gristone,

Excellent job! I have one question for you though, as i am thinking of a similar conversion, but without having your welding skills. Have you looked into the possibility of using the original aluminum front frame with the appropriate bracing using the telelever mounts? And of course fabricating and welding a piece for the triple tree.

Due to the original design, the stock head is stong on axial forces but lacking in torsional since the telelever arm takes care of them. So I think that the addition of a suitable triangular element at the telelever mounts and a bit of cross bracing would do the job.

Am i wrong?

m.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #26
drlukas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Great job
Old 11-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #27
gristone OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
gristone,

Excellent job! I have one question for you though, as i am thinking of a similar conversion, but without having your welding skills. Have you looked into the possibility of using the original aluminum front frame with the appropriate bracing using the telelever mounts? And of course fabricating and welding a piece for the triple tree.

Due to the original design, the stock head is stong on axial forces but lacking in torsional since the telelever arm takes care of them. So I think that the addition of a suitable triangular element at the telelever mounts and a bit of cross bracing would do the job.

Am i wrong?

m.
Yes, I actually pursued that option extensively because I had a Cannondale frame and Ohlins front end that would have been easily kluged into the stock headstock (still would have involved a bunch of welding) but I trust chromoly a lot more than aluminum. And it would have required so much additional reinforcement that it started to look really ugly. I saw a post on here from a guy in Australia (I think) that used the original casting and just added to it and it ended up needing a different tank and seat because of how he tied it in to the rear subframe for stability. It looked really cool and it seemed like it worked out for him pretty well, but one of my criteria when I started this was to use the Touratech tank and maintain as much of the stock equipment as possible.

If you are interested I would sell the Cannondale frame. I think I still have a spare triple for it as well, but I sold the Ohlins.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #28
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by gristone
Yes, I actually pursued that option extensively because I had a Cannondale frame and Ohlins front end that would have been easily kluged into the stock headstock (still would have involved a bunch of welding) but I trust chromoly a lot more than aluminum. And it would have required so much additional reinforcement that it started to look really ugly. I saw a post on here from a guy in Australia (I think) that used the original casting and just added to it and it ended up needing a different tank and seat because of how he tied it in to the rear subframe for stability. It looked really cool and it seemed like it worked out for him pretty well, but one of my criteria when I started this was to use the Touratech tank and maintain as much of the stock equipment as possible.

If you are interested I would sell the Cannondale frame. I think I still have a spare triple for it as well, but I sold the Ohlins.

I am aware of that bike. Your point on aluminum vs chromoly is correct for sure, but i had in mind a different approach. One that would just use the original front frame as a core structure and build around it, so tank and fittings would be the same.

Regarding the frame, i might get back to you after i fully explore the above approach!
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #29
Vaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Any news of this project ???
Vaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #30
xlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Id like to see more of this build