Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #15001
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
really im up to page 354 and still cant find out if there is an offset to the front rim or what the OD of a stock DID front rim is. I dont want to have to use the front forks as a truing stand but that may be the only way. working off the service manual I know the distance from the inside brake rotor to the outside of the rim is 20 mm but thats for the DID rim.

any help or guidance from you guys would be appreciated. you guys know who you are as I see you have built/laced new excel rims like I am trying to do, Ive seen your posts.
This is how I did mine. It is a vice clamped to a moto stand and a magnetic base with a micrometer.

I picked 0.010 as my number to shoot for and got it as close as I could. I started with vertical play then switched to horizontal. It wasn't exact but it did work just fine.
lstzephyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #15002
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
centering?

thanks. Thats pretty much the same set up I am using without the dial indicator. I should be able to do it but but how did you center the rim to the hub to ensure its centered vertically on the stand? the excel rim is not the same diameter as the DID rim so the measurement in the service manual will be different.

thanks in advance for any tips. you can throw in a FYFFF salute if you want.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #15003
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
thanks. Thats pretty much the same set up I am using without the dial indicator. I should be able to do it but but how did you center the rim to the hub to ensure its centered vertically on the stand? the excel rim is not the same diameter as the DID rim so the measurement in the service manual will be different.

Not the same Diameter? Not sure exactly what you mean.... Diameter does not matter, the specs will still be the same, run-out does not change with diameter or rim width. However, if you are refering to the width of the rim then yes, the .800" will be diffent by half of the total amount that the new rim is wider. If the old rim is 1.60" wide and the new wheel is 2.00" wide, then the offset will be .600" instead of .800" See the math

2.00 (new rim width) - 1.600 (old rim width) =.400" divided by 2 = .200 So, the stock hub to wheel offset of .800 will be .600" with the new wheel

RalphyDo screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 03:22 PM
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #15004
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,476
For Reference the STOCK DID front rim width measures:

2.45'' (+/-).020''.

Alternatively you could lace it up and keep it loose and mount on bike and find the center between the two fork tubes which by my eye is dead center.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #15005
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,476
Now where's my samich?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #15006
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post

2.45'' (+/-).020''.
thats what I need to set the rim centered to the hub. without that i would have a nice straight and true rim that is too far to one side.

thanks gents!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #15007
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp1264 View Post
yeah, it makes sense. i wouldn't be surprised at all if i tore apart the clutch and found it with an updated bushing anyway.

so while my bike was on its side it started leaking fluid. never had this issue on two wheels. is it time for seals? here's where the fluid was escaping.

What year is your bike? The bushing was updated in 02-ish if I remember right.

re you sure your forks where not leaking at the top cap and the oil was running down to the lower clamp? If not, then your fork tube is cracked from over-tightening!! I'd loosen the clamps and slide the fork down alittle for inspection!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #15008
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post

2.45'' (+/-).020''.

Alternatively you could lace it up and keep it loose and mount on bike and find the center between the two fork tubes which by my eye is dead center.

Ooops, just saw this. My Excel Takasago front wheel is 2.170" wide. That means he needs .660" measured from the rotor mating surface to the outside of the wheel!

Edit: My front has around .937"

RalphyDo screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 05:45 PM
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #15009
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:

I just guessed and then eyeballed it. It worked out ok.
lstzephyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #15010
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
Likeing the EBC clutch kit

So a few pictures to see what I like

I got the dirt racer Clutch kit. It comes with springs/ fibers and steels
106 bucks at MCSS
The fibers are in oil, I used the package as the bath tub
the springs are suposidly 15% heavier
EBC says
15% uprated heavy duty clutch springs to clamp those plates together firm and strong for the life of your clutch

the steels are different than stock and you can see how.
EBC says
Pin planished steel driven plates that spread the oil around the clutch better and prevent clutch burn-up THEN EVEN MORE………

On the fibers they are a cork based formula with aluninum bits in the mix
EBC says
EBC unique alloy article impregnated clutch facings that wear longer and resists burning PLUS…….
You can see the alloy particles in the picture

this clutch is working better than the stock set up on my application but is a heavier pull on the lever, I am pleased with the preformance and price
Time will tell but so far it hooks up where the stocker would slip

FlyGuy screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 01:28 PM
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #15011
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
the excel rim is not the same diameter as the DID rim so the measurement in the service manual will be different.
sorry its not diameter I was looking for width of the outside edge to outside edge width of the DID rim. I need to sleep...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #15012
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Anyone tried the Mishimoto Silicone hose kits?

I'm planning on ordering up some Fluidynes and figured I might as well swap the hoses out too.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #15013
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
Any interest in carb adapters for the newer-style FCR MX carbs? I used one of Noss' universal FCR adapters on my 650R with a 39mm FCR off a late-model CRF450 and it ripped, but the adapter dimensions weren't quite right. So we're going to have them make some custom adapters for the XR650R and the XR650L. I don't have a 650R anymore, but my buddy James wants one and I need to have some 650L adapters made for these bikes. Figured we might as well make them available. His regular universal adapters cost $65, so am guessing these will probably be a little bit more expensive, but can't imagine they'll end up costing any more than $80. It's pretty easy to find good deals on used FCR MX carbs ($300?) because there are so many of them out there (being used on virtually all of the modern 450cc motorcross bikes). So this can be a relatively low-cost upgrade, and the performance is flat-out awesome. Fitment is pretty straightforward, and you do not have to modify the gas tank in order to clear the carb if you just install it a few degrees off vertical. So this is literally a bolt-in deal, and you can use the FCR throttle cables and twist-grip (stock CRF cables are perfect length with aftermarket tripleclamps and taller bars). Shoot me a PM if you want one!

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #15014
nick5446
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Anyone tried the Mishimoto Silicone hose kits?

I'm planning on ordering up some Fluidynes and figured I might as well swap the hoses out too.
I run them with Fluidynes as well...no issues to speak of. Been about 5k miles, 80% street. Took them off recently when I had my engine out for rebuild and didn't see any damage or anything.
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #15015
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I saw an add on craigslist from some guy offering to pay people to teach him to start his xr.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote