Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #15046
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I really wish i had an idea how many miles were on my xr, po was second owner and pretty clueless. I want it to live forever
Easy fix! do a FULL rebuild on the engine, replace every bearing, seal and bushing. Install a Vapor, and then start a 000000

Shibby is right, just enjoy the thing until parts start failing, replace, and return to enjoying it.

If you are really that worried, you could always just pull the head, check the valves and seats, inspect cam and upper valve train wear, pull the jug off, and check for small and large end bearing wear, cylinder wear. This is obviously not a total R&R job, but its also mostly free and will give you a very good idea of the condition your engine is in.

In the meantime, do all of the maintenance, lube points, and clean the oil screens.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #15047
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Easy fix! do a FULL rebuild on the engine, replace every bearing, seal and bushing. Install a Vapor, and then start a 000000

Shibby is right, just enjoy the thing until parts start failing, replace, and return to enjoying it.

If you are really that worried, you could always just pull the head, check the valves and seats, inspect cam and upper valve train wear, pull the jug off, and check for small and large end bearing wear, cylinder wear. This is obviously not a total R&R job, but its also mostly free and will give you a very good idea of the condition your engine is in.

In the meantime, do all of the maintenance, lube points, and clean the oil screens.

I like that idea haha, I'm not complaining or really worried just saying it would be nice to know.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #15048
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
High flow exhaust canister = after market slip on (eg. T4 ProCircuit), or HRC Tip on stock exhaust, FMF slip on

Large Diameter Header & Exhaust canister = after market FULL exhaust, from the head to the tip. This could also be a T4, since you can get just the slip on or the full exhaust.
Tnks sintax
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #15049
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Question Swingarm slap?

Let me start by stating I did my google search, as not to get my ass chewed by Garthe.I spent a good part of Sunday doing some year-end maintenance, valves,oil change,cable lube and rear shock adjustment.The reason for the shock work is I've been noticing a knocking coming from that area under acceleration on rough terrain, in the pegs. I replaced the linkage bushings and bearings along with heavier shock spring (11.5kgm- fat ass) and shock bushings about 8 months ago. Seems to be some vertical slop at the swing arm pivot point when on a stand with wheel off the ground, The shock has about 130lbs of charge by my guage and is a bit soft still. Just did a 500 mile Utah/Nevada Pony Express trip and some Moab single track two weeks ago with no noticable issues other than the knocking. Is a bit of play normal? Any advice would be great. Thanks, Jim

Dorothy Parker

jimmyx screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 06:28 PM
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #15050
szramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
KTM

Might need some mods though.
price. part #? pls
szramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #15051
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by szramer View Post
anybody is doing bolt on fan for BRP?
Here you go. Get a 4" Spal puller fan.Make some brackets and you are good to go.

You used to be able to get the fans on Ebay for about $40 but i don't see them there at present.Here is what you want:
http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30103018
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #15052
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I just bought one of those fans from some random online vendor due to the eBay guy has not been around for ages. I've been looking for months but he has not had any for sale. I ended up paying 56 shipped, which was not that bad. At least I'll have it for this season.

I'll be making a bracket out of some sheet alum as well.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #15053
Desert Scoundrel
Banned

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLightning! View Post
Another question: Is there any real difference in billet clutch baskets between brands? There is the Hinson, Barnett, Wiseco and a few others. Not a huge difference in price amongst the batch.

Anyone?
Desert Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #15054
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyx View Post
Let me start by stating I did my google search, as not to get my ass chewed by Garthe.I spent a good part of Sunday doing some year-end maintenance, valves,oil change,cable lube and rear shock adjustment.The reason for the shock work is I've been noticing a knocking coming from that area under acceleration on rough terrain, in the pegs. I replaced the linkage bushings and bearings along with heavier shock spring (11.5kgm- fat ass) and shock bushings about 8 months ago. Seems to be some vertical slop at the swing arm pivot point when on a stand with wheel off the ground, The shock has about 130lbs of charge by my guage and is a bit soft still. Just did a 500 mile Utah/Nevada Pony Express trip and some Moab single track two weeks ago with no noticable issues other than the knocking. Is a bit of play normal? Any advice would be great. Thanks, Jim
Nope, not normal. Take your swingarm off and check your swingarm piviot bearings. I'd bet you a beer they are dust. A big hammer, a torch and some new bearings will fix it right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLightning! View Post
Anyone?
I bought a hinson. It is rather nice and I like it. Best answer I got amigo.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #15055
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh Don't worry......Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I really wish i had an idea how many miles were on my xr, po was second owner and pretty clueless. I want it to live forever
As long as it runs good just ride it and enjoy Sometimes the more you worry the more issues you'll have...kinda like carma I think
And don't let the problems in these threads freak you out
I just pick up good running bikes and have a ball
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #15056
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,217
spall pull fan is the go
a bracket i had made up

was going to get a heap made but the guy wanted 30 bucks a bracket and i told him he's dreaming

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #15057
tomaszb2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Hey Tom.

What type of information would you like to know? There are lot of people here that use the HS/TM 40 carb.

I am currently working through the jetting process with mine. I have some jets showing up next week to continue to fine tune it.

For example: What is the nominal diameter of the individual jets in the carburetor in mm? Most need dimensions Main jet and Pilot jet

tomaszb2 screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:57 AM
tomaszb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #15058
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Xr sie panel cutout and jetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
Tnks sintax
Need some help with table.

Regarding Main Jet, Gary says: " Use a Main Jet one to two size larger when your side panel is cutout".

I'm using XRonly side panel cut out.

In your experience, where did you find best results with main jet: 1 or 2 size larger? Tnks
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/

babuja screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:37 AM
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #15059
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thanks lstzephyr,

I was avoiding the swingarm rebuild... It's time.

Dorothy Parker
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #15060
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 60
my 2012 Desert PIG

atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote