User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #15151
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Hesitation when strong acceleration

When at relanti if I give a strong aceleration the motor hesitates and some time dies...

If I gradualy acelerate a bit and been give a stronh aceleration I have no problem.

What cold be the problem? Tnks guys
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #15152
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
When at relanti if I give a strong aceleration the motor hesitates and some time dies...

If I gradualy acelerate a bit and been give a stronh aceleration I have no problem.

What cold be the problem? Tnks guys
See my post in your other thread
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #15153
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
See my post in your other thread
Following your advice there
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #15154
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Just got done pressure washing the bike. Here are afew pictures of the gauge bracket and head light brackets. My garage is a mess so the pics are not very good.
I wound the stator with 18 ga. magnet wire. Running two DC circuits, two regulators, two battery's. The HIDs are sensitive to low voltage. If both HIDs are on at the same time at idle for long time they start to flicker. At higher rpm I can run all the lights and fan no problem.
Champion , thank you .
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #15155
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Super potentially dumb question. I have never really worked on dirt bikes, but if I put it on a dirt bike stand will the bike stay balanced if I remove the front wheel and forks? Or will more be needed to support the bike? I am going to pull the forks to get a shop to re-spring and freshen them up with new seals and bushings.

Anybody got a good inexpensive stand recommendation?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #15156
Desert Scoundrel
Banned

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Super potentially dumb question. I have never really worked on dirt bikes, but if I put it on a dirt bike stand will the bike stay balanced if I remove the front wheel and forks? Or will more be needed to support the bike? I am going to pull the forks to get a shop to re-spring and freshen them up with new seals and bushings.

Anybody got a good inexpensive stand recommendation?

It depends where on the frame you put the stand and whatkind of stand. If the stand has a large platform then the bike will pretty much stay put. I use one of those cheapy HF stands and just place it where the bike will over-balance the opposite direction. If I am working on the rear then I put the stand further towards the front of the frame or visa-versa.
Desert Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #15157
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
forks

i bought xr650r forks to put on an old xl600.i flushed the old sludgy oil out and replaced with 2.5 wt synthetic.
forks compressed springs removed air gap from top of fork to top of oil level 110mm.
all put back together in correct order and nipped up per honda specs.
both clickers set mid way for final adjustment while riding the bike.
before i slipped them into the fork clamps i compressed by hand and they feel smooth.
but on both forks when you release pressure theres a clunk just as they start to rebound.
the stack was not touched.
any ideas?? do i need to release air??
i am stumped and going through withdrawl symptons as i have not been on the bike for a week.
please help as i am not comfortable putting the forks back on the cycle with this issue.
thanks in advance fellas.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #15158
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor4play View Post
i bought xr650r forks to put on an old xl600.i flushed the old sludgy oil out and replaced with 2.5 wt synthetic.
forks compressed springs removed air gap from top of fork to top of oil level 110mm.
all put back together in correct order and nipped up per honda specs.
both clickers set mid way for final adjustment while riding the bike.
before i slipped them into the fork clamps i compressed by hand and they feel smooth.
but on both forks when you release pressure theres a clunk just as they start to rebound.
the stack was not touched.
any ideas?? do i need to release air??
i am stumped and going through withdrawl symptons as i have not been on the bike for a week.
please help as i am not comfortable putting the forks back on the cycle with this issue.
thanks in advance fellas.
My guess would be the rebound adjuster rod, but not sure why. I would cycle them a bit and perhaps it is just an air pocket in the tube that holds the rebound adjuster?

Is it both forks? or just one?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #15159
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 638
Stock Sub Frame-Want to avoid breakage

So I am headed to Big Bend, TX next week with the R. Have a GL Coyote that weighs in at 17lbs with tent, bag, pillow, bed roll and a few other "light items".

Is 17lbs a light enough load not to put too much stress on the toothpick subframe for a week of riding?

I am late the game in realizing this is an issue. I knew it was a consideration but must have subconciously blocked it out of my mind.

Too late to have any welding done to beef it up or buy a steel one.

Any comments are welcome....
tennessee thumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #15160
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
So I am headed to Big Bend, TX next week with the R. Have a GL Coyote that weighs in at 17lbs with tent, bag, pillow, bed roll and a few other "light items".

Is 17lbs a light enough load not to put too much stress on the toothpick subframe for a week of riding?

I am late the game in realizing this is an issue. I knew it was a consideration but must have subconciously blocked it out of my mind.

Hey Tennessee, Just did a 500 mile trip with about 30 pounds in and around my Coyote, Plus I am 6'2 /240lbs, no problems, 70% in the pegs though. Hope this helps....

Dorothy Parker

jimmyx screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 03:40 PM
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #15161
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
My guess would be the rebound adjuster rod, but not sure why. I would cycle them a bit and perhaps it is just an air pocket in the tube that holds the rebound adjuster?

Is it both forks? or just one?
both forks same clunk.
funny you should mention the adjuster rods.the p/o had
them upside down.as in the slots facing the bars.
i agree with you about the air.hopefully its that simple.
thanks crypto.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #15162
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,176
mate i did 7,000 kms on hard ground in the aussie outback just a few months ago

carrying more weight than you have
no issues at all .. i have only changed out my bolt for a longer 1 so i can place a nut on the other side ..did them up nice

i think the biggest problem with the subframes issues is over loaded with stock suspension .......bottoms out alot or a lot harder when it does

make sure you do up the bolt nice and lock tight it ... have a good trip

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #15163
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 638
Fellas,

Thanks for your comments and pictures, very valuable indeed. I'll stay pat with what I have now and will do the longer bolt with a nut as Sean-O suggests.

All the best!
tennessee thumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #15164
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:

Yup,

You're fine.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #15165
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Take a couple extra of the long bolt and nut with you. I had a hard time finding them locally in metric, much less hardened metric, so I have been using a standard bolt non-hardened. Hasn't broke yet. The odd thing is that I bought a few of the factory bolts, and they are too short. I showed it to Burpsa and he said his subframe is threaded and the nut is just a lock nut. Not on mine, the bolt goes all the way through and no threads in the subframe. Perhaps I eliminated them some years ago.

Quote:

crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote