Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #15211
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
I have a 2000 XR650R with a BD dualsport kit. I'm losing the 6mm bolt that holds on the left, rear turn signal on a routine basis. This is the one that goes into the end of the subframe. It's seems to be getting worse. I put it on tight with a lockwasher and after 20 minutes riding it's gone. Sometimes it is difficult to thread the bolt in--the bolt just turns endlessly, other times it seems to grab. Any suggestions?

Thx

Mike
you will need to find a tap, drill it out and tap it to M8 size.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #15212
grom77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Video 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1BtG...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI0Ak...2&feature=plcp
grom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #15213
grom77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtC2...4&feature=plcp
grom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #15214
nick5446
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
CRF450 Wheels on XR650R

Hi All,

I believe this has been covered in one form or another on here before, but I haven't been able to find just what I need, so here I am asking.

Been looking for a set of supermoto wheels for my XR for a while now and all I've been able to find is either expensive or shitty. I found a set of good Excels for a CRF450 and I'm trying to figure out exactly what it would take to make them fit. I know the rear wheel is a 25mm axle, and the front is a 20mm. My list of parts to buy/make so far is below. Tell me if I'm way off, missing something, etc.
Rear wheel bearings w/ 20mm ID
Rear wheel spacers w/ 20mm ID (would my stock ones work?)
Front caliper bracket
Front wheel spacers (any idea if my stock ones or the CRF ones will work?)

Also, the rear wheel is 4.25" wide and I know a lot of guys go as wide as 5"...would that be too narrow? I think 4.5 is the common width.

Thanks in advance
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #15215
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantathumper View Post
Well, got tired of the narrow ratios in the trans and decided to have a whole new set made from 1 to 5. The engineering is commencing as we speak and will be fielded by a secret race team :) first. Just got finished up with titanium rod for the XRL....So now to the XRR. After the new 5 ratios are completed it will then be time to design a short production Titanium rod for the XRR possibly? dont know yet... The ratio set for the XRR will be similar to a wide ratio husqy I had, nice slow usable 1st with a snorting high speed 5th....hang on!!!!

Cool, make two, send one my way for testing.

I plan on splitting my case this winter to check the squirrel and make sure it isn't losing fur.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #15216
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantathumper View Post
Well, got tired of the narrow ratios in the trans and decided to have a whole new set made from 1 to 5. The engineering is commencing as we speak and will be fielded by a secret race team :) first. Just got finished up with titanium rod for the XRL....So now to the XRR. After the new 5 ratios are completed it will then be time to design a short production Titanium rod for the XRR possibly? dont know yet... The ratio set for the XRR will be similar to a wide ratio husqy I had, nice slow usable 1st with a snorting high speed 5th....hang on!!!!
You have my attention sire
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #15217
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I just put a new desert maxxis it on my rear , pretty dumb since i ride mostly street. I had it try to slide out from me during a turn today, anyone know how long it takes a knobby to get a little more grip on the street? Or should i let a bit of pressure out for more grip if its at the high side of the recommended pressure

ride4fun562 screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 04:44 PM
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #15218
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I just put a new desert maxxis it on my rear , pretty dumb since i ride mostly street. I had it try to slide out from me during a turn today, anyone know how long it takes a knobby to get a little more grip on the street? Or should i let a bit of pressure out for more grip if its at the high side of the recommended pressure
Some dirt tyres never end up with much grip on the road, it really depends on the tread and compound. A D606 (Dot dirt tyre) for example has decent road grip in the dry and can last 2500miles on the rear of the XR if ridden sensibly, but a more aggressive tyre will most likely be a softer compound and wear much quicker. I have found that generally running a pressure somewhat lower than max is best for grip and stability, but poor for tyre wear (it squares off a larger part of the tyre and renders it dangerous more quickly).

To answer your questions, it shouldn't take longer than 60miles with corners to roughen up and provide better grip, and try running it a few psi less than max.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #15219
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
you will need to find a tap, drill it out and tap it to M8 size.
Done. Very solid now. Thanks.
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #15220
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:

I have 10's of thousands of KM under Desert IT's and NEVER had one slide out. And I lean my pig hard and for hours on end with some of the most twisty roads in N.A while in Mexico. Never an issue, never overheated, nothing.

I never went over 20 PSI and often had it down around 17 PSI. I have no issues running it at 13 either. Wear is not noticeable with those PSI ratings. I've tried it all within those ranges. My friends even did 4000 KM at 7PSI in Baja while mine were at 16/17. Nothing showed mine wore better. Locally I ride them 12/10. Don't bother airing up after a trail ride to ride home if dual sporting.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #15221
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I have 10's of thousands of KM under Desert IT's and NEVER had one slide out. And I lean my pig hard and for hours on end with some of the most twisty roads in N.A while in Mexico. Never an issue, never overheated, nothing.

I never went over 20 PSI and often had it down around 17 PSI. I have no issues running it at 13 either. Wear is not noticeable with those PSI ratings. I've tried it all within those ranges. My friends even did 4000 KM at 7PSI in Baja while mine were at 16/17. Nothing showed mine wore better. Locally I ride them 12/10. Don't bother airing up after a trail ride to ride home if dual sporting.

Well like I said it was brand new. Its got some miles on it now and it feels alot better. Also the pressure was on the high side.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #15222
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I am not really planning on doing it any time soon, but does anybody on here run a big bore kit on their BRP? What is the most you can run 690-710cc?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #15223
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
I had the 680 kit on mine. 102.5mm piston. That's the biggest I've come across.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #15224
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Well like I said it was brand new. Its got some miles on it now and it feels alot better. Also the pressure was on the high side.
The first time I put on a desert IT I did a rather large powerslide out of my neighborhood on the throttle. After that it hooked up fine. Most tires will light up and slide if they are new especially with high pressure. I wouldn't worry about it but it is something to keep in mind.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #15225
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
quick question....What is the reasoning or purpose to replacing the cam chain tensioner?? i understand it is a spring and they wear out, but have they been known to fail?? or is this just a preventative measure to rebuilding the engine?? As the cold bears down and the garage heater is in place, i will tackle the rebuild, but i wanted to have a good parts list on hand so i know what i have to get and how much this is going to cost me.

also, does a guy replace cam chain guides, or just see how they look once pulled? but i suppose if replacing the chain, it would make sense to replace the tensioner and guides. thoughts?