Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #15241
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
On the topic of timing chains, whats the expected life span on these items?

Timing chain, chain adjuster, chain guides?

I'd kinda assume its one of those items where you inspect and replace every top end?
XRGene, from the XR Mailing list, has raced and rebuilt many BRP motors. His suggestion was to replace the cam chain and sprockets every other top-end rebuild. I've rebuilt my my top end once, replacing valves and rings that go around.

To qualify this however, I will also say that I haven't heard of any cam chains breaking or wearing so bad as to cause issues.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #15242
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
just throw an extra in .. why service a filter ......i been useing 1 of these for a few yrs ..never had a problem with them .. and it takes the kink out of the fuel line

but each to there own

Yup! Same ones I have on mine. (except I have a straight through one). Run them on all my bikes. I've been stopped numerous times because somebody had something in their carb from fuel contamination (grass seed, grit, whatever).

They are small and light. Bring a spare. If no spare, reverse the valve, blow or allow gas to flow through it, and install it the correct way again. It'll get you home.

Yes, new Desert IT's are can be slightly squirmy when new. Let the rubber shine wear off, the rubber to stiffen up a bit and the knobs to wear down a little and itll grip like a street tire (within reason).

I find the biggest thing you give up with knobbies is braking traction in the rear. Otherwise corners, etc are no issue. Under hard braking and forward weight transfer they tend to lock up.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #15243
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSC1 View Post
Has anyone added a fuel filter to their BRP? I'd like to add one to my bike with an Acerbis tank. Doesn't seem to be much room to add the filter. A photo or two wouldn't hurt!

Thanks,
Brian
I have installed fuel filter on every bike i have ever owned , it keeps the carbs clean , it was one of the first items installed to the XR after i got it . Go for the bigger sized 5/16" 8MM ones the small 1/4 filters and hoses are tight fit for the xr ( too much of a stretch for my likeing )
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #15244
thouk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Trx800xx throttle body

Hey Y'all,
I won a Trx800xx throttle body on eBay. It came with the boot from the body to the head. The boot fits but the new one I bought will have to be trimmed down to fit the Xr head. I did not check the length of the Edelbrock carb versus the throttle body to see if I would have to have an adapter from the airbox to the throttle body. Now I just need to put the engine back together after I get the cam guide welded back and ground down. Ill keep y'all informed on how it is coming. I did download the Mobisquirt app for my iPhone. Have fun, Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.

thouk screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 10:23 AM Reason: I capitalized the H
thouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #15245
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
I have installed fuel filter on every bike i have ever owned , it keeps the carbs clean , it was one of the first items installed to the XR after i got it . Go for the bigger sized 5/16" 8MM ones the small 1/4 filters and hoses are tight fit for the xr ( too much of a stretch for my likeing )
Would one like this be ok? http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-FILTER-...8d96c6&vxp=mtr

Looking for one on the US store. I run the stock tank and fuel line. Will it work or will I need 5/16 tubing? If so what type should I run?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #15246
stinkfinger
Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer: 1,221
Motion Pro makes really nice easy-bend/no-kink fuel line.
With it, I dont even put clamps on, and just push it on fuel filter
ends.

Tony
stinkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #15247
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfinger View Post
Motion Pro makes really nice easy-bend/no-kink fuel line.
With it, I dont even put clamps on, and just push it on fuel filter
ends.

Tony
As said above, I will be ok with 5/16 inch hose?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #15248
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Would one like this be ok? http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-FILTER-...8d96c6&vxp=mtr

Looking for one on the US store. I run the stock tank and fuel line. Will it work or will I need 5/16 tubing? If so what type should I run?
Yes that will do , but always carry a spare one ( they are cheap and they do get clogget up after some time ).
if you are using the stock tank and carb there is not much space to place the filter , my solution was to get good quality long fuel pipe and create loop just over two inches in size , cut it in the middle and install the filter , ( the stock fuel line is too short ) , i cannot post the picture as this site does not suport this function , and i am not signing to stupid photobucket and similar incredibely slow sites .
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #15249
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
Yes that will do , but always carry a spare one ( they are cheap and they do get clogget up after some time ).
if you are using the stock tank and carb there is not much space to place the filter , my solution was to get good quality long fuel pipe and create loop just over two inches in size , cut it in the middle and install the filter , ( the stock fuel line is too short ) , i cannot post the picture as this site does not suport this function , and i am not signing to stupid photobucket and similar incredibely slow sites .
Ok sounds great. This is what I was planning on doing. Do you use cheap hose or the expensive motion pro?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #15250
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantathumper View Post
Help All,
Some where here on ADV rider one of the members built a XR650R with a CRF450 rear swing arm and Ohlins shock..I believe mounted similar to a KTM. He had several pictures. Does anyone know the thread??? Please reply if you do. Thanks all!!
There's some info about that bike here in this thread on TT and there are a few links to more pics/info. Believe the owner/builder has posted about it on here.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #15251
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by thouk View Post
hey Y'all,
I won a Trx800xx throttle body on eBay. It came with the boot from the body to the head. The boot fits but the new one I bought will have to be trimmed down to fit the Xr head. I did not check the length of the Edelbrock carb versus the throttle body to see if I would have to have an adapter from the airbox to the throttle body. Now I just need to put the engine back together after I get the cam guide welded back and ground down. Ill keep y'all informed on how it is coming. I did download the Mobisquirt app for my iPhone. Have fun, Tony

There was a guy on here that had some trigger rings cut out. This is the one that gets pressed onto the stock flywheel for the MS to get its ignition trigger from. I thinnk I have it saved on my pc if you need it. Keep us posted on this. I have been dying to EFI and turbo my xrr for some time, dying!!

Here is a link for a turbo/efi XRR build:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...on....-for-now
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #15252
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,219
frame guards

G'day all, just wondering if anyone has seen or knows of any plastic molded frame guards for the xr. We can get aluminium ones, but I would prefer some molded plastic if they were available. Thanks for any assistance.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #15253
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
The stock Honda guard is molded plastic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #15254
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
The stock Honda guard is molded plastic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
have you got any pictures of these? i have searched the honda fische and cannot find any
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #15255
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,302
he's talking bout the bash plate ... there plastic ... poppy is looking for frame guards .. not a bash plate
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote