Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #15271
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
All of our 650R's consumed oil. Even brand new ones.

It seems that it is normal for the 650R to consume some oil, especially at high power settings. The question is "how much is some?". I've had two-strokes that don't burn 1/2 liter in a day's ride.

It starts easy and runs like a red rocket so I'm just going to ride it and try to remember to check the oil more often.

Thanks,
dod
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #15272
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Is there anything I can do to prevent the chain adjusting bolts from snapping off when I try to use them? Anti-sieze and lots of penetrating oil before hand?
If yours are not stuck yet, drill a small hole (3/32" diameter or so), vertically, in the bottom of the swingarm, just in front of the weld of the axle block. This will allow water to drain out and provided a 'port' to periodically spray WD40 or some other lubricant/protectant onto the bolt on the inside. Did this to my BRP and KTM and wasn't too surprised to find water pouring out...

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #15273
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
If yours are not stuck yet, drill a small hole (3/32" diameter or so), vertically, in the bottom of the swingarm, just in front of the weld of the axle block. This will allow water to drain out and provided a 'port' to periodically spray WD40 or some other lubricant/protectant onto the bolt on the inside. Did this to my BRP and KTM and wasn't too surprised to find water pouring out...
I just bought this bike a few months ago and have not touched the chain yet. Lets assume it is semi stuck. What can I do to extract the bolt without breaking it? Am I pretty much screwed?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #15274
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
I just bought this bike a few months ago and have not touched the chain yet. Lets assume it is semi stuck. What can I do to extract the bolt without breaking it? Am I pretty much screwed?
Time and patience. Unscrew as much as you can without stripping/breaking it. Dab on some penetrating oil on the threads closest to the swingarm, screw it back in as far as you can...repeat. Also, drill the hole as I mentioned above, and spray penetrating oil on the bolt on the inside.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #15275
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Time and patience. Unscrew as much as you can without stripping/breaking it. Dab on some penetrating oil on the threads closest to the swingarm, screw it back in as far as you can...repeat. Also, drill the hole as I mentioned above, and spray penetrating oil on the bolt on the inside.
Ok sounds good. I have no idea if mine are stuck, but I am going to use a lot of caution when I remove them.

Is heat safe to use in that area? You think I can get a picture of where you drilled, I am still sorta confused where. Thanks!
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #15276
Slim86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb Re: broken chain adjuster bolts

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips and tricks on removing and repairing the broken adjuster bolt. I was actually able to drill out the old bolt with a 1/4" bit and re-tap with the same 8 x 1.25 thread. With some quick thinking and a little enginuity,(and a fair amount of WD-40), as long I can find a replacement bolt I should be able to take the traditional Turkey Day ride.

Also I will be adding the small "weep" holes to the swing arm. I was amazed at the amount of water that flowed out when I drilled through the bolt.

Slim86 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 08:09 PM Reason: Brain fart
Slim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #15277
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Ok sounds good. I have no idea if mine are stuck, but I am going to use a lot of caution when I remove them.

Is heat safe to use in that area? You think I can get a picture of where you drilled, I am still sorta confused where. Thanks!

It's a good idea to remove the adjusting bolts every few tire changes and coat them with anti seize. Drilling the drain holes sounds like a good idea.

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #15278
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,154
Stock Carb Throttle Sticking

Hi,
I'm having a strange problem after installing an FMF jet kit. After installing the FMF jet kit on my stock XRR carb, I buttoned everything back together and played with the spring-loaded throttle lever to make sure it had smooth throttle operation. It was very smooth and it returned as expected, but I noticed if I opened the throttle all the way open, it would occasional stick in the WOT position. Keep in mind, this is on the workbench, no throttle cables hooked up, I was turning the spring loaded plate that connects to the throttle cables directly.

So I thought, maybe I had a bent needle, so I pulled the needle slide out and took out the needle completely from the carb. Then I put the needle slide back in and moved the needle slide with my finger in and out of the carb body. I definitely could feel a sticking point near the top of the cylinder, where the slide would be at WOT. Anyone else had this happen? It's very clean, no deposits and it's smooth as silk, but I'm getting some binding on my needle slide when I open the push/pull cable plate to WOT. Obviously, I'm hesitant to run the carb if it could stick in the WOT position, but I'm curious if a little fuel lubrication would help.

Any thoughts?

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #15279
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I think.. I'm in the right place.. I'm trying to find me thumper, and I've found a plated XR650R in immaculate shape for $2,300. Should I? I'm 5'11, 170. I want something dependable that I can take on long trips and also have fun on. I pack light so I don't think I'd need a bike that could handle excessive weight. Should I buy this bike, or pick up one of the lesser thumpers for $1,800ish? I know it all depends on my own personal preference, but frankly.. I am so lost. Is $2,300 a good deal, good enough to buy it and if I decide it's not for me, to unload it quickly? Throw me a bone.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #15280
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:

Here's a view of my 950 swingarm, from below. Same thing applies to the BRP. I hope this helps:

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #15281
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
I think.. I'm in the right place.. I'm trying to find me thumper, and I've found a plated XR650R in immaculate shape for $2,300. Should I? I'm 5'11, 170. I want something dependable that I can take on long trips and also have fun on. I pack light so I don't think I'd need a bike that could handle excessive weight. Should I buy this bike, or pick up one of the lesser thumpers for $1,800ish? I know it all depends on my own personal preference, but frankly.. I am so lost. Is $2,300 a good deal, good enough to buy it and if I decide it's not for me, to unload it quickly? Throw me a bone.
That sounds like a good deal, go for it. After you get it lets see a picture of it. I just picked this up last week.

I had one before, a 2000 model that I owned for 8 years without any trouble with it. I sold it because after having it that long it was just worn out and now I have a fresh one. If the one you mentioned is immaculate then you can expect years of fun for not alot of $. Good luck!
ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #15282
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Your body weight/height is ideal for this bike. I'm about the same and I love this bike. A handful at first but once you get used to it and start getting the muscle for it it's amazing. 2,300 for years of dependable, awesome riding. I'd say go for it.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #15283
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
in a thread full of xrr lovers ..... i think you know the answer to that ...price wise i wouldnt know as i live on the other side of the globe
i'll say 1 thing tho if you like the bike you will love the bike
and if you love the bike it will love you back ..for many many yrs to come
bang for buck there aint nothing in its class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereisnoSpoon View Post
That sounds like a good deal, go for it. After you get it lets see a picture of it. I just picked this up last week.

I had one before, a 2000 model that I owned for 8 years without any trouble with it. I sold it because after having it that long it was just worn out and now I have a fresh one. If the one you mentioned is immaculate then you can expect years of fun for not alot of $. Good luck!
nice
i love looking at xrr's
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #15284
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
It seems that it is normal for the 650R to consume some oil, especially at high power settings. The question is "how much is some?". I've had two-strokes that don't burn 1/2 liter in a day's ride.

It starts easy and runs like a red rocket so I'm just going to ride it and try to remember to check the oil more often.

Thanks,
dod
I don't know how much is too much, but mine didn't burn a noticeable amount in Vegas to Reno (have a sight tube and it stayed in about the same spot the whole race). Haven't had noticeable oil consumption since the race either. I've run conventional and synthetic oils, no difference as far as I can tell (I usually run good syn stuff, but in Mexico I ran the conventional stuff that was available--clean oil better than no oil or dirty oil!). Maybe you are over-filling? Do you have a sight tube?

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #15285
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Depends on the condition

There are some things to check for use and abuse. The obvious things to check that everyone references are the obvious things that sketchy people work to obscure. It's a good deal if there is heaps of life left in the engine. If you have to get a new engine then you will probably have to buy a donor bike. What state are you in? That determines the value of the plate. Finally, what aftermarket parts are on the bike? Most people like to change alot of stuff often using vague terms like "upgrading". And if there are good parts on the scoot that are of zero or negative value to you then you can sell them effectively bringing down the cost of the bike.

PM me if you want some more...

Quote:

bump screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 11:38 AM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote