User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #1516
LoneRanger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
New to the club.

I've lurked a long time and made a couple of posts but now I'm a full blown member of the XR650R club. Just bought this beauty off of another ADV member. Didn't take me long to figure out what all the commotion was about. These babies ROCK, literally!!

LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #1517
wankslapper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I've lurked a long time and made a couple of posts but now I'm a full blown member of the XR650R club. Just bought this beauty off of another ADV member. Didn't take me long to figure out what all the commotion was about. These babies ROCK, literally!!

Top stuff Ranger,ride and enjoy.(secret xr650r owners handshake details will be emailed soon)
wankslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #1518
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip
My eyes hurt now.
Just finished an incredible ride in central California today. One of the best I've ever had. However, Busted my right radiator, broke the shroud, i think that's about it right now. But during the clean up I found this:

Does anyone else have a little hole like that on top of their engine?
Chip:

Here's a couple of picts I took for ya.

The spot you are missing appears to be part of the casting, at least on my '01 BRP. I can get a better shot for you during the day, if you wish.

Dave

Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #1519
Dave JP
BRP Rider

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
LR:

Nice looking pig! Welcome to the madness.

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #1520
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,763
Welcome. Nice bike... get radiator guards.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #1521
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 297
Chip's little hole......

I spy with my little eye...........Looks to me like someone was inside that motor at one time. During reassembly, they put the wrong screw in that hole. It was too long and broke the end of the casting out. After they did this, they figured out what they had done and replaced it with the right screw otherwise you would be able to see it now. Shouldn't really hurt anything, other than letting water into the threads and possibly rusting the threads(which could be a problem). If its a case screw, you may be able to reach it from the other side of the engine. It might be worth while pulling it now while you still can and making sure it has anit-seize on it. Then, I would plug the end of that hole with either JB Weld or silicone sealer.

Just my 2 cents.........

zaptoad screwed with this post 09-14-2009 at 12:14 PM
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #1522
chip
Follow Me

My little hole...

I don't really like that sound of that, but in this case I'll deal with it.

What was the function of the screw that should be there?

Oh wait, now that I looked at the picture again, it looks like it helps hold those two cases together just like the one above it?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #1523
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip
I don't really like that sound of that, but in this case I'll deal with it.

What was the function of the screw that should be there?

Oh wait, now that I looked at the picture again, it looks like it helps hold those two cases together just like the one above it?
What I think he was saying is that is the BACK of a hole where the screw came from the other side? (not looking at my bike, just interpreting) and at some point may have used a too long a screw and PUSHed the back of the blind hole out?

And rereading your post again...it looks like you understood him...my mistake.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #1524
34for40dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Dave's Weekend Ride

XR650R Inmates,

I am having a weak moment. Need your advice.

I am the owner of a very sweet 2005 XR650R with less than 1,000 miles on it. This is my second XR650R of the summer. The first was purchased after lots of lurking on this thread.

Short term intent was to do a portion of the TAT this summer and long term to begin preparing a bike for another attempt at shortening the Trans-Americas World Record. I bought a 2000 XR650R in April and made a few upgrades. Rode the Tennessee version of the TAT in June. Was very unimpressed with road laden TAT, yet literally fell in love with the XR650R.

After the TAT I sold the 2000 to another inmate because I happen to have found a non-dual sported 2005 with 500 miles on it in a barn upstate. I figured if I was going to build it out for the Trans-Americas Record I would be better off starting with a newer low miles bike. The bike I found was pristine. All it needed was to be dual sported and farkled.

After about 6 weeks of tinkering the bike was complete, licensed and titled in Georgia and ready for this past weekend's ride - the LBL 200 - a once a year dual and single track laden journey through the Land Between the Lakes Federal Wilderness area in KY and TN.

Saturday's portion of the event was the best day of motorcycling I have ever had. I loved the single track. The only problem is the XR650R desert racer was more than I could comfortably handle on the tight trails.

NOTE: I am not saying the XR650R is not the perfect single track bike. What I said is it is too much bike for ME on single track.

On the tow home my riding partner (KLR650) and I discussed our dilemma. When we originally bought our bikes we thought we would be doing long adventure rides. What we have discovered is that we love woods riding and single track and don't mind towing.

What bike would you buy for woods riding and single track if the XR650R was to much of an animal? I am 5'10", 190, 46 years old looking for a lighter, powerful bike, and I don't mind the kick start. I will "minimally" dual sport and license whatever I buy (KTMs are out of my price range). I am leaning toward the CRF450R and would love your opinions. And yes, it is quite possible that a sub 1,000 mile farkled XR650R will be going on the market.

Trans-Americas World Record Holder - 27:7:52

www.34for40.org

2005 XR650R
1976 FLH

34for40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #1525
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34for40dave
XR650R Inmates,

I am the owner of a very sweet 2005 XR650R with less than 1,000 miles on it. This is my second XR650R of the summer. The first was purchased after lots of lurking on this thread.

Short term intent was to do a portion of the TAT this summer and long term to begin preparing a bike for another attempt at shortening the Trans-Americas World Record. I bought a 2000 XR650R in April and made a few upgrades. Rode the Tennessee version of the TAT in June. Was very unimpressed with road laden TAT, yet literally fell in love with the XR650R.

After the TAT I sold the 2000 to another inmate because I happen to have found a non-dual sported 2005 with 500 miles on it in a barn upstate. I figured if I was going to build it out for the Trans-Americas Record I would be better off starting with a newer low miles bike. The bike I found was pristine. All it needed was to be dual sported and farkled.

After about 6 weeks of tinkering the bike was complete, licensed and titled in Georgia and ready for this past weekend's ride - the LBL 200 - a once a year dual and single track laden journey through the Land Between the Lakes Federal Wilderness area in KY and TN.

Saturday's portion of the event was the best day of motorcycling I have ever had. I loved the single track. The only problem is the XR650R desert racer was more than I could comfortably handle on the tight trails.

NOTE: I am not saying the XR650R is not the perfect single track bike. What I said is it is too much bike for ME on single track.

On the tow home my riding partner (KLR650) and I discussed our dilemma. When we originally bought our bikes we thought we would be doing long adventure rides. What we have discovered is that we love woods riding and single track and don't mind towing.

What bike would you buy for woods riding and single track if the XR650R was to much of an animal? I am 5'10", 190, 46 years old looking for a lighter, powerful bike, and I don't mind the kick start. I will "minimally" dual sport and license whatever I buy (KTMs are out of my price range). I am leaning toward the CRF450R and would love your opinions. And yes, it is quite possible that a sub 1,000 mile farkled XR650R will be going on the market.
I'll trade you a pair of Yamaha IT-175's (1979 and 1981) straight across.

J/K

You might even go to a XR250R, though you'd have to mod it to get "powerful" into that equation. CRF450R is probably in the ballpark.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #1526
RedBirdStation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Guys, I am at a loss here.

Got the XRR home over the Labor Day weekend and got it plated and insured. Rode it around for 3 days putting about 200 miles on it. Then I was sitting at a stoplight in town and it died like I shut off the key.

I have kicked and kicked and it will not restart. It is getting gas and I changed the plug. But the spark looks like it is weak to me.

Any Ideas?
RedBirdStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #1527
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCBRXX
Guys, I am at a loss here.

Got the XRR home over the Labor Day weekend and got it plated and insured. Rode it around for 3 days putting about 200 miles on it. Then I was sitting at a stoplight in town and it died like I shut off the key.

I have kicked and kicked and it will not restart. It is getting gas and I changed the plug. But the spark looks like it is weak to me.

Any Ideas?
Sounds like the CDI for a weak spark, or... How's the compression? Just wondering if mayble the decompressor might be at issue.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #1528
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
XR650R Inmates,

I would keep what you got, and just add a woods bike to your collection. Even if you plate the other bike, which would be good just to get from trail to trail should you need to jump on some blacktop to get to that trail.

You could always setup the XR650R like my brother in-law and I did for Adventure touring. Get the 6.3 Gallon tank, and whatever other mods you fancy. I agree if the stuff gets too technical the BRP is not really fun to ride, becomes work instead of play.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #1529
chip
Follow Me

[quote=34for40dave]XR650R Inmates,

Quote:

What bike would you buy for woods riding and single track if the XR650R was to much of an animal?
I would have bought a crf450x if I didn't find such a great deal on my BRP. You can find one for pretty cheap these days.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #1530
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,408
[quote=chip]
Quote:
XR650R Inmates,
I would have bought a crf450x if I didn't find such a great deal on my BRP. You can find one for pretty cheap these days.
I debated keeping my 650R when I bought a 450. The strengths of the former for cross country work and overall durability and reliability are hard to beat. Six years of adding gas and changing oil...a few wear items replaced. I miss it sometimes...although generally not while riding hard core single track stuff!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote