User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #15286
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
I met AngryShawn!

There were very few XR650Rs in the 1000 this year. I only remember two so perhaps there were four total because I napped from 4am to 6am as I didn't want to be half-awake for Friday's drive to the Bay of LA for some rest and good food on the beach.

AngryShawn did roll through our pit at about 3am and riding fast. He was wide awake and in the hunt even if his pony was having some nervous system issues. As usual that far into the race Shawn was dogpiled by guys wondering if Shawn had memorized data about every wrecked vehicle on the course. Still, his team finished which is more than we did although we thought we got 2nd until we got back home and got accurate news. We had great hopes this year and in our Dafvid v. Goliath struggles against the two factory teams we really seemed to have a very accurate slingshot. Hope springs eternal...

Ken Kosiorek continued his tradition of stopping, resting, and eating at every pit. Apparently he got some bad food at pit 11 cause I heard he went in hard at mile 575 with broken ribs. No word yet on his bike.

We were all anxious for the guy with prosthetic legs and the other guy who was shadowing him but if I hadn't memorized his plate I wouldn't have known. VERY impressive for 1150 miles for both the guy with prosthetics and his friend.

Several Japanese guys on Hondas seemed like they were looking for a buffet when they stopped but when they were offered fresh tamales and empanadas from a local rancher's wife (I watched her make them and I ate them and they were great) but they seemed terrified of the local food.

We need to get a group of XR650R guys together to ride en masse... I know a local group down here who were gonna do it but the ring leader's mom died just before the race and it all unraveled.

bump screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 11:42 AM Reason: grammar
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #15287
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'm in Mississippi, tagging an offroad bike here is probably easier than any other state I've seen ads for people looking for these bikes, begging for one in any condition. The bike is completely stock with the addition of blinkers and a tag mount. It has offroad tires so I'd say it's not been on the road quite a bit, but the thing is amazingly clean, so I can't imagine they've abused the thing offroad unless this guy is just fantastic at washing it up. I've been trying to find me a bike and keep missing on ones. I had settled on a 1990 XT600 for $2,000, but the guy sold it within hours of me going to get it. I found a 2002 KLR 650 for $1,000, with a lot of custom stuff done to it, with only $10,000 miles, and I am sure the guy still has it, he just takes days to return my emails and never answers his phone, so I've all but given up on him. I try to gauge what the best bike for me would be. I think a KLR would be too heavy for my liking, and I like DR350s but I don't want to have to modify a bike so it can better handle how I drive down the highway. It seems this bike, with a different set of tires, speedo, and an electric start conversion would be everything I could ever want. Low weight, and high power. I don't need KLR or XRL subframe carrying capacity, because I don't like carrying much with me. And I think if need be, I could increase the strength the XRR chassis could carry, far easier than I could knock 100lbs off a KLR. I sit here and try to think of what I want in a bike and weigh the pros and cons of each bike. I end up with a few choices between an XRL, XRR, and a modified DR350. Modifying the DR350 is just throwing away money to me, when you can buy an XRR and get everything you spent so much time trying to turn the DR350 into. I like the XRL, it's heavier but I can live with that. But I can't find them for under $1,800, and usually looking like they've been ridden pretty hard. And why? When for $500 more I can have something that's not only a better bike, but is in much better condition as well.

And yes, I like to talk. But I did provide myself with a bit of advice through typing all that. It was a bit like thinking out loud. And now I know what I must do... I'm going to go buy an XRR (if guy hasn't sold it).
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #15288
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Good thinking!

First therapy sessions always free! JK

For that money the big XRR is a steal relative to the other two bikes. I'd check for water in bearings when you get it as that is a wet and humid state. Unless you are short the starter isn't necessary at all once the OEM carb has been sorted by someone who can do it (I couldn't.) The Yamaha is too old IMHO. The KLR is too modified from what I know about KLRs. My opinion from accidentally reading about them in various posts and videos is they are very reliable until they are modified. The KLR is too heavy period. Add shitty everything on it from Kawi and it's really just the low price leader. The DRs are great bikes if ridden within their parameters and not pushed, not unlike the KLRs.

I was recently offered $1500 for the starter I have and it's nowhere near worth that. For $1500 you could add the HRC cam and Bob Bell ported head and his most of his suspension work and you'd be real close to having a 1X bike.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
I'm in Mississippi, tagging an offroad bike here is probably easier than any other state I've seen ads for people looking for these bikes, begging for one in any condition. The bike is completely stock with the addition of blinkers and a tag mount. It has offroad tires so I'd say it's not been on the road quite a bit, but the thing is amazingly clean, so I can't imagine they've abused the thing offroad unless this guy is just fantastic at washing it up. I've been trying to find me a bike and keep missing on ones. I had settled on a 1990 XT600 for $2,000, but the guy sold it within hours of me going to get it. I found a 2002 KLR 650 for $1,000, with a lot of custom stuff done to it, with only $10,000 miles, and I am sure the guy still has it, he just takes days to return my emails and never answers his phone, so I've all but given up on him. I try to gauge what the best bike for me would be. I think a KLR would be too heavy for my liking, and I like DR350s but I don't want to have to modify a bike so it can better handle how I drive down the highway. It seems this bike, with a different set of tires, speedo, and an electric start conversion would be everything I could ever want. Low weight, and high power. I don't need KLR or XRL subframe carrying capacity, because I don't like carrying much with me. And I think if need be, I could increase the strength the XRR chassis could carry, far easier than I could knock 100lbs off a KLR. I sit here and try to think of what I want in a bike and weigh the pros and cons of each bike. I end up with a few choices between an XRL, XRR, and a modified DR350. Modifying the DR350 is just throwing away money to me, when you can buy an XRR and get everything you spent so much time trying to turn the DR350 into. I like the XRL, it's heavier but I can live with that. But I can't find them for under $1,800, and usually looking like they've been ridden pretty hard. And why? When for $500 more I can have something that's not only a better bike, but is in much better condition as well.

And yes, I like to talk. But I did provide myself with a bit of advice through typing all that. It was a bit like thinking out loud. And now I know what I must do... I'm going to go buy an XRR (if guy hasn't sold it).
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #15289
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post

I was recently offered $1500 for the starter I have and it's nowhere near worth that. For $1500 you could add the HRC cam and Bob Bell ported head and his most of his suspension work and you'd be real close to having a 1X bike.

I hope that helps!
Bump,

You got a stash of those HRC cams? I've been looking for one...
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #15290
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
It seems that it is normal for the 650R to consume some oil, especially at high power settings. The question is "how much is some?". I've had two-strokes that don't burn 1/2 liter in a day's ride.

It starts easy and runs like a red rocket so I'm just going to ride it and try to remember to check the oil more often.

Thanks,
dod
Mine does not eat oil ( not yet ).

When i bought my previous car (BMW 330i ) people have told me to keep the eye on the oil as they are known to eat oil , even the bmw mechanic . In the time i have owned it , i never needed to top up the oil , and i was abusing it frequently , i believe in warming the engine properly before driving it hard and keep good quality clean oil in it , that works for me .
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #15291
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I was recently offered $1500 for the starter I have and it's nowhere near worth that.
Starter? XR650R electric start conversion starter kit? I must be misunderstanding either the starter part or the $1,500 part. Baja designs sells one for $170.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #15292
cragdweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
More info on the wide ratio trans gears, please! I'm in!
cragdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #15293
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by cragdweller View Post
More info on the wide ratio trans gears, please! I'm in!
It would be a no brainer to to swap gears if you have it apart. A low as hell 1st and REALY tall 5th would be something I'd use every time I go dual sporting.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #15294
bump
COLOR ME GONE

I wish!

I wish. Deals on those are hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Bump,

You got a stash of those HRC cams? I've been looking for one...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #15295
bump
COLOR ME GONE

BD hasn't sold the starter for years

Not sure what you are looking at. Send a link but BD stopped selling the starter when they ran out of the first run of them. The last starter parts went several years ago. I think I bought the last two starter rings and the last shifter. Problem is I rarely use the starter and it is worth a ton for some reason. I regret installing it but when I bought it used they were cheap on fleabay. I think I got mine for $300. But it adds weight and width and complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
Starter? XR650R electric start conversion starter kit? I must be misunderstanding either the starter part or the $1,500 part. Baja designs sells one for $170.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #15296
nick5446
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Can anyone share their wiring diagram?

My XRR is currently wired for a headlight, tail light, brake light and turn signals. It has a re-wound stator and a mini-battery. Plus, the current harness is a rat's nest of PO's additions and subtractions. Everytime I have to work on something I have to diagnose why something electrical isn't working because something jiggled loose. I would eventually like to add brighter and/or additional headlights and some 12V accessories, as well as a real battery (probably a small Ballistic). I'll probably also add a Trail Tech, but that's its own deal. What are you guys running for wiring harnesses? Are there any good aftermarket harnesses? Also, if there's some issue where I can't run all of the accessories at once (stator/battery limitations), that's totally fine.

Lastly (semi-unrelated), I used to be able to turn my lights on when the bike wasn't running (on battery power) and now I can't. In between "now" and "then" I rebuilt my whole engine and transmission so my bike wasn't running for a few weeks. At first I assumed the battery had gone weak from sitting, then I started thinking I put it back together wrong. Everything works as it should when it's running, but I get nothing when it's off. I figure if I'm going to gut and re-wire the whole thing this doesn't really matter.
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #15297
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
If anyone has a remote idle adjustment screw for an edelbrock and they want to sell it it would be much appreciated, or if anyone can point me in the right direction to get one that would be great also.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #15298
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,166
Rod Removal

I want to change the bigend bearing but cannot find any info via google or here regarding removal of the rod from the crank. I have the parts manual and it only has information/pictures regarding checking clearances, but nothing regarding rod removal. Anyone have any pic's how to's that would help. Thankyou
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #15299
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
I want to change the bigend bearing but cannot find any info via google or here regarding removal of the rod from the crank. I have the parts manual and it only has information/pictures regarding checking clearances, but nothing regarding rod removal. Anyone have any pic's how to's that would help. Thankyou

The rod must be pressed apart. The big end pin must be pressed out which "breaks" the crank into 3 peices(right peice, left peice and pin) This is not a do it at home project unless you have all the right tools. Getting the crank apart is no biggie, BUT it must be trued after putting it back together. Not a easy job to say the least
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #15300
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
Can anyone share their wiring diagram?

My XRR is currently wired for a headlight, tail light, brake light and turn signals. It has a re-wound stator and a mini-battery. Plus, the current harness is a rat's nest of PO's additions and subtractions. Everytime I have to work on something I have to diagnose why something electrical isn't working because something jiggled loose. I would eventually like to add brighter and/or additional headlights and some 12V accessories, as well as a real battery (probably a small Ballistic). I'll probably also add a Trail Tech, but that's its own deal. What are you guys running for wiring harnesses? Are there any good aftermarket harnesses? Also, if there's some issue where I can't run all of the accessories at once (stator/battery limitations), that's totally fine.

Lastly (semi-unrelated), I used to be able to turn my lights on when the bike wasn't running (on battery power) and now I can't. In between "now" and "then" I rebuilt my whole engine and transmission so my bike wasn't running for a few weeks. At first I assumed the battery had gone weak from sitting, then I started thinking I put it back together wrong. Everything works as it should when it's running, but I get nothing when it's off. I figure if I'm going to gut and re-wire the whole thing this doesn't really matter.
I've never seen an aftermarket harness that I'd want to use. I made my own instead and am really happy with it. You can find wiring diagrams in the XRR electrical thread.
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote