Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #15331
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
SeanO ma man,

those fuel bladders, they're sturdy? You dropped the bike with them on maybe, and they survived? If you got a brand or name or linky let's have it, I'm looking for something like that. They look a lot less costly than (another?) Ozzi-brand I came across, the collapsible jerry cans, good but dear.

yea mate there here

http://liquidcontainment.com.au/fuel_bladders.html

there about 150 aud each .. tuff as nails .. yes i have crashed with them ... took the hit no worries

you can get them custom made to suit if you like or go for a standard size
i cannot recomend them enough

lots of rides here use them
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #15332
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Thanks Sean.
Their site doesn't allow to mail them, seems under construction. No hurry though for me.
Like those canvas bags. No need for a strap between them, basically at their back-end ie somewhere under yer nuts, to prevent them from slinging around, like in forward & back?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #15333
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,131
mate im chaseing some new bladders in the new yr... let me know if your keen the place is local to me ...i can go pick them up and post to you no worries

ill pm you in the new yr when im ready to get mine
the tank bag is great .. if your keen to carry big loads of fuel its the way to do it ...or get the super tanks from safari

the way it works is the hole in the middle goes over your fuel neck ...the bag hangs each side

at the front there are a lil pocket to slip over the front of the tank shrouds if ya get my drift

there are eyelets down the front on each side to lace together with shoelace

same goes for under the tank at the rear .. tie in through frame nxt to carbie

on the back side there are more eyelets to lace up under the front of the seat ...holds the bag in place and it dont move

tho the idea with the shoelace is so it can break when i crash .. as i do a bit

the front lace snapped allowing the bag to move as i hit the sand ...
the bladders stayed in place in there pockets

the idea is you can fit the bladders in and a few waterbottles as well ..worked a treat

im in the midst of getting another bag made ..with a few improvements for a long trip im planning nxt yr ...where i will need to carry 70 ltrs of fuel and 10 ltrs of water .. just to get to the fuel dump we will have planned

anyways ya get the idea ...it keeps the weight center of the bikes mass .. keeps the fuel low as possible and keeps it stable

i found it rode well in the sand and kept a good balance .. well till i crashed anyways

see ya

PS seems they have changed there website in the last month or so .....
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #15334
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Good deal.

The same setup here in that condition is worth close to 2x what you are paying. But most of the big XRRs were sold here and are still popular.

Unless you are riding in rock gardens you are better off without adding armor. That seems to be heresy here where bigger-is-better is the mantra but adding armor will add weight to an already overweight bike and it will change the handling. At any given weight and power level, the addition of more weight and more power will lower your riding abilities. It's an inverse relationship. Ogilivie and Bell found that the plastic skid plate prevented more damage in all their situations than the aluminum, it did not change the frame, and was lighter. Moreover, they found that the alloy plates caused more damage when they were crushed into the frame and cases than did the plastic. Just because you see it done on here and other forums doesn't make it smart or smartest. These sorts of forums create a strong herd mentality - a rich irony for a forum with the word "Adv[enture]" in its title.

Replace that rim for sure. Stockers are best as they are engineered to deform without breaking. Not that they cannot be broken but they are softer than the harder aftermarket stuff and will yield and continue rolling when others will break. This bike won everything in the desert for many years and it did that on Honda OEM rims. That is more remarkable because this bike does not dance over stuff like G-Outs and instead plows throw Earth. If your dent is near the seam/joint then don't ride it is my advice.

The bike should start a bit easier than it is. If the engine is stock then data is everywhere on the Web for a correct setup of the carb. Otherwise you can ship it out here to a few shops and they will rebuild, set it up, and ship it back.

I'm not on it anymore because it eats up too much time but the Yahoo Group for this bike is a very good resource if you can take the unmoderated nature of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
Well here's hoping. I go get it tomorrow. I can't wait to put it on these gravel tank trails in the national forest I live in. Which reminds me, I should buy some new body armor tomorrow.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #15335
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Excellent advice!

My personal preference is to replace cables instead of maintaining them. If you watch this site you can get new cables for very cheap from guys with spares or who have sold the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
The front rims are prone to cracking, and mine was cracked when I got it, but was not able to tell. I had Woody's Wheels do a super lace with new rims on my bike.

Congratulations on your bike! It looks great, and having it dual sported and plated already is a big plus, and a real money saver. You might want to give it a good going through, if your not sure about regular maintenance:
- check the valves
- fresh oil and filter
- fresh fork oil
- check/lube all cables
- check/lock-tite kick start bolt
- check/upgrade right foot peg bolts
- clean/grease swingarm pivot, and all suspension bearings (swing arm pivot tends to seize in the motor casting, so lots of liquid wrench, let is soak. You may need the special "castle" tool for the lock nuts)
- clean/grease and adj steering stem
- check rear axel adjusters and if not frozen up, put anti-seize on them
- check oil level frequently to make sure it does not burn oil at a fast rate

Enjoy!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #15336
bump
COLOR ME GONE

I would not cut down the seat.

Congrats! You will love this bike. It's bombproof and huge fun.

That seat is already hard enough! Plus, it will inhibit your ability to move around on the bike. There may be a lowering link somewhere and then you can do that route of lowering the bike on the suspension I think. The PO of my 2002 was short and he had a shorty kickstand fabricated. I'd sell it cheap if you interested. It's in a pile of XRR stuff to go on fealbay when the weather warms up.

Quote:
I now own a 2002 XR650R. The bike is beautiful, and runs perfect. I was afraid it wouldn't be in as nice of shape as the PO and his photos suggested, but it is! Aside from a few scratches here and there on the plastic, the thing looks great. The engine isn't dirty, the tires are in great shape. Only thing is I need to lower it or put a lower seat. I'm 5'11 and I'm on my toes while on it. I gave $2,250, and I'm very happy with it. Anyone know any good lower seats available for the bike? Also, I should get a front rim to replace the one on it that has the dent. Time to shop for goodies.

Could someone look at that last page with the picture of my bike and tell me if it looks like it sits higher than normal? It supposedly has same ride height as a CR500R, but it seems a bit taller to me. I'm thinking the suspension is set up for someone quite a bit heavier and that's the problem. But I was looking at pictures of other people's XR650R's and then a photo of mine, and mine looks like it sits an inch or two higher than others I've seen.

bump screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 12:30 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #15337
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Nice!

Looks like great fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
just back from Death Valley two up with camping food and water. this is steel pass we came in south pass. the adv pig.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #15338
bump
COLOR ME GONE

I've used this tail tank and their number plate tank

I think they make a side panel tank too. And there are so many options out there. But I've seen a few fires and I am now reluctant to use this sort of thing. My wife's RM80 doesn't hold enough gas to do anything especially when she has to run wife open in sand washes to keep up and there are no aftermarket tanks and we tried a few products but in the end I just got her a different bike with much better fuel economy for long rides. If I was to do it I'd be thinking of some sort of double safety like a bladder inside a box but I am just against the idea of having that much fuel all around me in plastic.

Not that anything can go wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothride View Post
Acerbisrear fuel tank 1.6 gallons 104.99 canadain at Viciouscycle.ca has any one ever seen one of these or used one of these it it a universal fit.

bump screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 11:03 AM Reason: grammar
Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #15339
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
just back from Death Valley two up with camping food and water. this is steel pass we came in south pass. the adv pig.
Where does one get that sweet butt pad?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #15340
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Where does one get that sweet butt pad?
Walmart, I believe it is called an ATV pad.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #15341
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I meant armor for me, haha. I'm about to swap those knobbies off for some all terrains, I think that might lower it a quarter inch, not enough to make a real difference. As for starting, I started the bike easier than the previous owner. I can start it in 1 or 2 with it about 55f outside. I haven't checked to see if this thing is uncorked or not. Whether or not it is, I think I'll leave it alone, as it runs so great and I don't feel like jetting it. Ebaying for tires right now. And I need a front rim.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #15342
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Walmart, I believe it is called an ATV pad.
Awesome got a coleman brand one off amazon for 19 bones.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #15343
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post

Not that anything can go wrong...

. Talk about a bad day! Hope everyone (including the kid that's on fire) was okay.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #15344
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I should search this forum but I thought I'd just sneak the question in. What's a good on/off road tire? I'm looking for something good on the street and in gravel. Maybe a 60/40 street, or 70/30 street. Found a set of Kenda Big Blocks for $185 for both, in 90/90-21, and 140/80-18, which I think is the size I need. They're claimed to be 60/40 street over dirt, but wear out fairly quick. Any better suggestions? Is a 2007 XR650L rim the same as this 2002 XR650R? I found one cheap.

Ohh and I got my first compliments on my bike today. Some guys came over here for something and thought it was a new bike, haha.

Unsung screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 06:55 PM
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #15345
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
I should search this forum but I thought I'd just sneak the question in. What's a good on/off road tire? I'm looking for something good on the street and in gravel. Maybe a 60/40 street, or 70/30 street. Found a set of Kenda Big Blocks for $185 for both, in 90/90-21, and 140/80-18, which I think is the size I need. They're claimed to be 60/40 street over dirt, but wear out fairly quick. Any better suggestions? Is a 2007 XR650L rim the same as this 2002 XR650R? I found one cheap.

Ohh and I got my first compliments on my bike today. Some guys came over here for something and thought it was a new bike, haha.
The MAXXIS 6006 probably the ONLY TRUE 80/80% Dual function tyre made.